Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News or better ideas in Irish Politics

Options
  • 17-09-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

As Irish politics seem to be devoid of and new Ideas, do we need a new Political think thank to discuss New or better ideas, analysis current problems and come up with proposed solutions, review proposed legislation to analysis the practical consequences of the proposed law and generally come up with innovative ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I work in one. Just yesterday I sent in a policy document to the Dept. of the Environment telling Gormley to get his ass in gear reforming local government. I've spent the bones of the last year getting new ideas together. Let's see what happens.

But, yes, generally, there's a dearth of 'think-tanks' in Ireland in comparison to other countries. Not so sure it's a bad thing, though; we've seen how, in America, they're used as fronts for various things, and give the whole idea of critical research organisations a bad name. We're a small country, but we have a large academic sector, unfortunately, academics aren't so good at the PR thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

DadaKopf wrote: »
    I work in one. Just yesterday I sent in a policy document to the Dept. of the Environment telling Gormley to get his ass in gear reforming local government. I've spent the bones of the last year getting new ideas together. Let's see what happens.

But, yes, generally, there's a dearth of 'think-tanks' in Ireland in comparison to other countries. Not so sure it's a bad thing, though; we've seen how, in America, they're used as fronts for various things, and give the whole idea of critical research organisations a bad name. We're a small country, but we have a large academic sector, unfortunately, academics aren't so good at the PR thing. :)

As you say some 'think-tanks' have come up with really bad ideas.
    Having a number of different think-tanks giving a range of ideas from across the political spectrum still seem like a good idea to me.

The alternative is to wait for the political parties to come up with ideas on their own.

Not much chance of that.

I get the impression that political parties are heading for making new policy through 'focus groups'

There my people go and I must follow them.

Advertisement