Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Feuds...

• 17-09-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

In your time as a pro wrestling fan, which feuds were you totally absorbed in and why?

For me, there is only one which springs to mind immediately. It lasted about 3 years and ended in the ultimate swerve. Of course I am talking about Austin Vs Mr McMahon. It was a feud which had everything, must see matches (if not technically brilliant matches), emotional storyline, consumate good guy versus the face of evil. It had blood and tears, and most of all, it had something which WWE will never be able to repeat - it was simply cannot miss TV/PPV.

I refuse to acknowledge this feud ever took off again anytime after WMXVII, as the closure point of this was great, if not executed fantastically. After everything that had happened, McMahon essentially won this feud,a s without him, Austin would not have beaten The Rock that night.

Aside from that, great feuds I look at are

Randy Savage V Ricky Steamboat
    Again, this had a very clear face/heel dynamic, with the dastardly heel Savage going so far as crushing Steamboats larynx with the ring bell. This led to what was one of the most memorable wrestlemania matches of all time, where Steamboat finaly got the better of his longtime foe.

The Rock Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

Has another match ever happened 3 times at Wrestlemania, and always be a massive draw? From a purely competitive point of view, this is possibly the best of all time. They both came into the company with horrible gimmicks, subsequently changed gimmick and had excellent heel roles. These two started feuding over the still worth it Intercontinental belt,a nd went all the way to the main event of Wrestlemania, not once, but twice (arguably 3 times as their WM19 match was a massive draw also).

Those are the three which come to mind for me straight off, and that is only WWF/E based.

Please let this not turn into a thread of lists. Please say why your choices are there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

The Rock and Triple H around Backlash 2000. Thought that feud had everything.

Great topic. Its a shame as there are no great feuds out there anymore .

Macho Ricky is up there as one of the best.

Macho Man Jake the Snake also .

Rick Rude Jake the Snake and the whole wife thing (enter VR!!)

Earthquake Hogan

Hogan Warrior (although short lived)

Of course how can we forget Shaun and Bret .

If i had a favorite it would have to be Hogan Warrior. It was just the Big fight atmosphere . I dont think it has been repeted since.

Actually just thinking more one the whole thing and i really loved the Stable Wars . I would love to see something like that again . That would get me start watching WWE again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe not great but I remember it as I watched a few matches recently. Marty Jannetty, Shawn Michaels. I remember Shawn putting Marty through the glass window of Brutus the Barber Beefcake's shop set.

Ruu wrote: »
    Maybe not great but I remember it as I watched a few matches recently. Marty Jannetty, Shawn Michaels. I remember Shawn putting Marty through the glass window of Brutus the Barber Beefcake's shop set.

The birth of HBK . Yeah that was good alright . I remember that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Agree about with Vince and Rock but have to go with hsi feud with Bret for favourite, great chemistry, great matches. The only thing wrong was the fact that they did'nt leave it at WM13 which had the best ending for a feud for two guys to both save face, and carried on at logger heads until it just kinda fizzled out, with Austin turning to Owen and Bret getting the title shot with Undertaker / starting to feud with HBK/Patriot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thought The Rock Mick Foley feud was good like the special Superbowl heat match and all

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hardys/E&C/Dudleys - i love that whole era of tag matches.

Rock/Austin - especially there WM17 match

Invasion Storyline - Even though i wasnt made about it back when it happened i felt it was really good story over the last few years.

cant think of anymore at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Edge and Christian vs. The Hardy's is one of my favourites. E and C's promo's were absolute gold at that time, the movie review being the pick of them and the in-ring product was even better. Kane vs Taker was one that I adored as a kid. Thought for the first few years it was handled really really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The on off fued between HHH and HBK leading to the likes of Street Fights , Last Man Standing and Hell in A Cell.

Austin McMahon and The Rock for obvious reasons.

Bret and Owen loved the Steel Cage match at SummerSlam 94 and Owens OTT hatred for Bret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jericho had some good feuds in WCW.

His feud with Malenko was really good.

His "feud" with Goldberg would have been good if Goldberg had just agreed to actually have a PPV match with him.

Eddie and JBL had a great feud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Some of my favorites would be:

Mick Foley and Orton
    Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels
    Undertaker and Mankind
    The Rock and Triple H
    Steve Austin and Bret Hart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ones that stand out for me, in no particular order

WWE:
    - Bret v Shawn, all the way from their matches as the Rockers right up til Montreal 97

- Savage v DiBiase in 88, there really was no bigger that year.

- Hogan v Piper from 85-86, most of these were documented on SNME.

- Bret v Lawler in 93, 94 and 95, the matches weren't technical masterpieces, but they knew how to push each others buttons storyline wise.

- Warrior v Rude in 89 and 90, with great matches to follow.

- Jake v Rude in 88. Kept you on the edge of your seat.

- Angle v Benoit in 01, say what you want about Benoit now, but in 2001, these two could do no wrong inside a wrestling ring.

Warrior v Savage in 91, too bad they couldn't recapture lightning in the bottle the year after.

NWA/WCW:
    Flair v Steamboat 88-89 - Just an awesome feud that came to an awesome end.

Piper v Valentine in 83, ending with a crazy dog collar match.

Jericho v Malenko - already mentioned.

Syxx v Eddie Guerrero, also ending with an awesome ladder match.

Just some of my personal favourites.
    VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Syxx v Eddie Guerrero, also ending with an awesome ladder match.

Just some of my personal favourites.

I do note your last line and you made some fantastic choices. But I do remember that match being a shambles. It wasnt on the Ladder Match DVD nor did Eddy or Syxx speak highly of it in interviews I read. I must say I loved Syxx's character at the time and the real Wolfpac of Hall, Nash & Syxx.

Just thought of another one.

Macho Man Vs Flair & Hall

When he picked Perfect as his partner and Perfect delivered a brilliant face promo. There were lots of forgetable feuds around that time, but that wasn't one of them.

Just thought of another one.

Macho Man Vs Flair & Hall

When he picked Perfect as his partner and Perfect delivered a brilliant face promo. There were lots of forgetable feuds around that time, but that wasn't one of them.

I do give that credit although Savage and Hall were merely pawns in that feud as it set up the Perfect/Flair feud. It was well done though given that it was thrown together at the 11th hour due to Vince firing Warrior a couple of weeks earlier after SNME (also sending Davey Boy and Warlord on their way too).

The only shame in all of this is that Hennig v Flair didn't get their blowoff match on PPV. I could have lived without Bam Bam and Bossman at the Royal Rumble in place of Hennig/Flair. It would have been a lot more deserving in front of a PPV audience instead of a couple of thousand people at the Manhattan Centre. :(

VR!

I never got to see PPVs back then, unless we rented them from xtravision and they didn't exactly have a great or particularly new selection.

I never got to see PPVs back then, unless we rented them from xtravision and they didn't exactly have a great or particularly new selection.

I didn't get to see much between Summerslam 92 until King Of The Ring 94 as Cablelink (at the time) in Dublin pulled a load of Astra satellite channels between November 92 and January 93 if i recall correctly, which meant we lost MTV, Sky One and a few other channels. So as a result when they were returned in May 94, the roster had pretty much changed and it took me a while to catch up with it again.

In my naivety, i marked like a bastid when Jim Neidhart made his return. Oh if i knew then what i know now...

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The Rock / SCSA

The Rock / HHH

Benoit / Jericho / Angle

Bret Hart / Owen Hart

E&C / Hardys

Trish / Lita

Vince McMahon / SCSA

Eddie / Angle

Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man

HHH / Jericho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Great, but why? Pointless posting lists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement