Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stereotypes across different faculties

• 27-11-2004 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

just wondering if people think there's any stereotypes across faculties eg alot of ppl seem to think ppl doing bess are d4 heads or BOPs(blonde-orange-pink), arts people are dossers, people doing medicine/law are elitist etc etc.

just wondering if you guys think we're all exactly the same type across the different faculties, or are there real stereotypes based on what on what course your doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

There definitely exists a significant body within each faculty, to perpetrate and continue each stereotype. I know so many dry, boring, wet-blanket types in Science. And I know a load of lazy D4-type arts students. A lot of the engineers I know are a bit fond of the drink...etc, etc.
    But it would be sheer stupidity to assume that they're ALL like that. There are plenty of people who defy the stereotype, like some complete mucksavages I know in BESS, a real lickarse never-miss-a-lecture type in Arts, some dosser druggies in Science...again, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Yeah I gotta agree there, i know some ppl who totally don't fit their stereotype. But the majority of ppl do...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

me and my friend discussed this at lenght and came to the same conclusion. There are two main types of people in Trinity, those that are really really obnoxious and those that are resonable people.

The obnoxious ppl can come in all shapes and sizes and here are a list of some, but not all of their traits:

When they drink in the pav, they gather in large groups and speak and shout really really loudly. Most often they are really drunk and sound stupid and share their stupid conversations with everyone else. They do their best to interfere with everyone else.
    They have a constant viewpoint that they don't have any time to do anything. Always seeming to forget they spend half their time in the library and the rest in the pav. or similar. Nothing against library work and nothing against drinking but when this is your life you end up obnoxious.
    They develop accents that are stupid. Their normal accents from wherever they come from, cork, d4, belfast get sckrewed up and morphed into amalgamations of all the bad things that have crept into irish intonation. (the raise at the end of a sentance, used for emphasing a q. but used in every sentance).
    They always try and maintain they don't go to college enough and are always "fukced for exams" despite their residence in the library.
    Just to summirise type 1 - obnoxious, loud, false, liers.

However there are the other ppl that go to trinity who aren't obnoxious and are fairly resonable. Some of their traits are
    They're friendly, but not too friendly and are polite.
    They keep to themselves and don't bother other ppl rudely.
    They don't try and adopt any new accents.
    They don't adopt a new lifestyle hugely different from their previous one.
    They don't bother with silly things like name dropping. Name dropping can apply to politics, to music, to philosphy and to lots of other things.
    Summary of type 2:
    nice, friendly, resonable ppl.

I think the devide is 50-50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

me and my friend discussed this at lenght and came to the same conclusion. There are two main types of people in Trinity, those that are really really obnoxious and those that are resonable people.

The obnoxious ppl can come in all shapes and sizes and here are a list of some, but not all of their traits:

When they drink in the pav, they gather in large groups and speak and shout really really loudly. Most often they are really drunk and sound stupid and share their stupid conversations with everyone else. They do their best to interfere with everyone else.
    They have a constant viewpoint that they don't have any time to do anything. Always seeming to forget they spend half their time in the library and the rest in the pav. or similar. Nothing against library work and nothing against drinking but when this is your life you end up obnoxious.
    They develop accents that are stupid. Their normal accents from wherever they come from, cork, d4, belfast get sckrewed up and morphed into amalgamations of all the bad things that have crept into irish intonation. (the raise at the end of a sentance, used for emphasing a q. but used in every sentance).
    They always try and maintain they don't go to college enough and are always "fukced for exams" despite their residence in the library.
    Just to summirise type 1 - obnoxious, loud, false, liers.

However there are the other ppl that go to trinity who aren't obnoxious and are fairly resonable. Some of their traits are
    They're friendly, but not too friendly and are polite.
    They keep to themselves and don't bother other ppl rudely.
    They don't try and adopt any new accents.
    They don't adopt a new lifestyle hugely different from their previous one.
    They don't bother with silly things like name dropping. Name dropping can apply to politics, to music, to philosphy and to lots of other things.
    Summary of type 2:
    nice, friendly, resonable ppl.

I think the devide is 50-50.

Jaysus, such bile!!!!!!
    And here's me thinking you're a quiet lad Kev, methinks I was wrong wrong wrong.
    Good descriptions though, but I reckon that the breakdown is more likely to be a 60-40 in favour of the spa's.
    Also, we could do with a certain 'west brit' breakdown too, and maybe one for 'obnoxious english upper class twats' .
    And Phil and Hist members.
    And students union brown-nosers.
    And anyone who's a member of 'young fine gael' or its fine fail (sic) equivilant.

Hmmmm, the list goes on. Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Jaysus, such bile!!!!!!

You ain't seen bile til you've seen what i think of last week's pat kenny toy show..

• Advertisement

• My main problem with Trinity from day one has been the actual stereotyping of everyone. I wouldn't notice the pretentious D4 heads half as much if people didn't go on and on about them. I'm sick of the constant stereotyping and bitching, it's so negative. Why can't you just let people be? Yes there are certain 'types' but talking about them 24/7 only makes it worse. I'm not from Dublin and when I first arrived I couldn't tell a DART accent from a West Dublin one, I had no preconceptions about anyone and I just took people how I found them. This obsession with accents/class is ridiculous and confined to Dublin/Trinity. I did a year of college in England and no one gave a **** how people talked or judged them by their clothes etc, EVERYONE was 'normal'. After 2-3 years in Trinity I still can't get over how people are so concerned with other people. Just mind your own business! If you don't like D4 heads and posh English rugby types just don't speak to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

It really annoys me when people judge you on your accent. I get slagged off all the time about mine (Ive lived in Kildare since I was 5 but I was born in England and my parents have English accents, so Ive got a bit of a mixture of accents- i.e sometimes it sounds kinda posh). Anyway basically it really pisses me off when people automatically put me in the 'posh trinner' group when they first meet me because off my accent, when I know , and everyone who knows me well enough, Im not like that! Grr :mad:

Sorry, that was just my rant for the day, basically I dont agree with the stereotypes that exist in trin, but there are a LOT. The majority of people in faculties dont conform to their particular sterotype but there are a few who do and people tend to focus on that minority waayyy to much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Stereo typing is just a fact of life, and it is upheld in the majority of cases(e.g. blondes :p) , of course there are exceptions but there always are to any rule.....

As for doing it based on accents, thats just silly....though thankfully mine is such a mix of accents no one can tell where i'm from ;)

ha. sky's accent is really funny. it's like are you from dublin, or are you from some where far far away. i just can't tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Just mind your own business! If you don't like D4 heads and posh English rugby types just don't speak to them!

I don't speak to them. That doesn't stop them annoying me though. Just hearing them sorta grates on my nerves. And I've never considered myself overly sensitive either. I just despise the fakeness and bull$hitting nature of these people. Its everywhere you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if it makes you feel any better, i think i'm ALL ghey.

thanks ferdi and welcome. lol.

good to see u saying something evilution. training wed 5. b ther

Advertisement