Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart go over ComReg's head re LLU

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Useless
    The Irish gov is to be blammed for this. The governement sold Eircom to private investors some years back.

And Eircom is gonna be sold again soon anyway, if not already done.
    Current owner being in big financial troubles back in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Useless
    The Irish gov is to be blammed for this. The governement sold Eircom to private investors some years back.

And Eircom is gonna be sold again soon anyway, if not already done.
    Current owner being in big financial troubles back in Australia.

Yes the government are to blame for this but not because they sold Eircom. They are to blame because they left an incompetent poodle as a regulator.

As for Smart Telecom, its about bloody time that they start making noise about this. People in Ireland have known the state of LLU and competition for years but none of the providers have made any noise about it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I wonder... did they exhaust the complaints procedure? ;)

Best of luck Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Good on them, hope they get somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

About time it's done and by one of the best ISPs in the country.
    Eircom's monopoly and LLU barriers have to be removed; We're in
    2008 and the choice offered to customers in some areas is dismal
    and such a rip-off.
    Seen recently in France:
    "Upgrade your line to 100Mb for 29.99 Euro per month"
    hem hem.

• Advertisement

wimmy wrote: »
    Seen recently in France:
    "Upgrade your line to 100Mb for 29.99 Euro per month"
    hem hem.

Amen
    Sounds like a good deal alright lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

:eek:

Amen is right:

Internet 60 Mb/s + Telephone unlimited 100 countries + 54 TV channels + 100 GB Web Space ............................................... 34.90 € / month
    Promotional price valid the first 12 months ................ 29.90 € / month

Ireland is a JOKE

wimmy wrote: »
    :eek:
    Amen is right:

Lol
    I was not refering to anyone here :-)

Well anyway Ireland is still late that's right, but in the last 2-3 years has made a lot of progresses.
    We got many new providers now and I recon in a short period of time we will too have some nice internet/TV/Phone packages.
    Internet/phone is already pretty comon with many providers so far.

I remember back in 2004 I was paying 105 euro a month for a 2MB DSL connection...384Kb upload.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Well anyway Ireland is still late that's right, but in the last 2-3 years has made a lot of progresses.

It is all relative, our competitors have as well.

Last week a survey was published by Oxford University on International Broadband Infrastructural Quality

It is here

http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/NR/rdonlyres/EF6BB01E-355B-4F18-9F1B-CA57E20A720A/0/CiscoBroadbandQualityrelease.pdf

Happily since you got your broadband in 2004 the world has not stood still.

Our competitors like :

Hungary
    Romania
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    Greece :eek: Oh NO!
    Estonia
    Lithuania
    Latvia

ALL OF THEM SCORED HIGHER THAN IRELAND
    WHO CAME 33 out of 42

Thankfully we are still ahead of Turkey and Cyprus and Brazil Mexico and Poland because it would be really really really unfair to have to compete with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I find it hard to believe we are ahead of Poland. Faroe islands, maybe. But not Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Poland is a funny one - lots of Bill & Ted wireless operators buying cheap gear in from Russia etc (Mikrotek everywhere!!) and providing a bit of BB in patches. Low land line penetration as far as I remember, have not looked at it in a while to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Our competitors like :

Hungary
    Romania
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    Greece :eek: Oh NO!
    Estonia
    Lithuania
    Latvia

ALL OF THEM SCORED HIGHER THAN IRELAND
    WHO CAME 33 out of 42

I can't recall her name, but didn't the lady who was overseeing eircom's initial broadband rollout in Ireland move to Greek Telecom to oversee the rollout there?

I seem to recall her giving the line that there was no real demand for it here...I remember cursing her from a height when she was at eircon. I wonder is she still in charge over there.

Edit : Was it Shula something or other?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good luck to smart on this one!

I'm concerned yesterday to hear on the last word that they only have 14K LLU Broadband customers..along with various other goverment agencys.

I would have through they had more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Don't be concerned :D

Just FYI - the ComReg stats published quarterly are in the public domain - there are only 19k LLU paths in Ireland in total.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

crawler wrote: »
    Don't be concerned :D

Just FYI - the ComReg stats published quarterly are in the public domain - there are only 19k LLU paths in Ireland in total.

Fair enough, I've nothing against Smart I wish them all the luck in the world, just wish they'd enable my local small town exchange :p

Advertisement