Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamper for Classic

• 17-09-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭

I want to get a decent tamper for my Gaggia Classic.
    Anyone know offhand what the correct size is for the classic?

Also why do they ship the unit with a tamper that's considerably smaller than the basket?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Classic is standard 58mm, although with nearly every filter basket that's rated at 58mm it will usually be slightly bigger, so you will probably still find there is a very small amount of room at the sides.

If you want a 100% perfect fit, do like Mr Magnolia and either measure your basket with a calipers or send it to Reg Barber to get a custom one.

As for the cheap plastic tamper, it's the standard piece of shít that nearly every espresso machine comes with. One of the excuses given for it is that a tamper is a very personal thing and people would only end up buying one to suit themselves anyway. Probably a load of bollocks, but there you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I want to get a decent tamper for my Gaggia Classic.
    Anyone know offhand what the correct size is for the classic?

I recently bought a 58.3mm Reg Barber for a bottomless portafilter for my classic, based on how it looks in the gaggia portafilter I'd recommend a 59mm. Note that portafilters can vary in size though, have you access to a vernier calipers to check yours to be sure? Scott at happydonkey.co.uk may be worth a call, he'll change it for you if it doesn't fit properly.
    Also why do they ship the unit with a tamper that's considerably smaller than the basket?

Ta

God knows, why do they include a crap plastic one in the first place, why do they set the OPV valve to ~15barg, why do they attach that crap paranello*

*the answer to this is probably cost saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

God knows, why do they include a crap plastic one in the first place, why do they set the OPV valve to ~15barg, why do they attach that crap paranello

Thanks guys

Funny, I'm in the middle of doing the OPV mod right now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did the OPV mod.

Wow much thicker coffee.
    The little bit of coffee I had ground is a little too fine now but even so, there's a marked improvement in the coffee:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    As for the cheap plastic tamper, it's the standard piece of shít that nearly every espresso machine comes with. One of the excuses given for it is that a tamper is a very personal thing and people would only end up buying one to suit themselves anyway. Probably a load of bollocks, but there you go.

LOL @ that excuse. Some chancers. Still, if they were to include a decent tamper the price for the unit would just go up so there is some reasoning there. See we're still double posting too :-D

Did the OPV mod.

Wow much thicker coffee.
    The little bit of coffee I had ground is a little too fine now but even so, there's a marked improvement in the coffee:)

Fair play on the mod, some rapid progress there. Great results to be had after adjusting the OPV so enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I picked up one of these dealies when I was in Seattle over the summer. Perfect fit for my gaggia basket.

http://stores.emeraldcityespressomachines.com/Detail.bok?no=19

Advertisement