Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reliable run around - Carisma

Options
  • 17-09-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking at getting a reliable run around for the other half, not really a brand person but been told to stick with Japs etc. Will probably hold onto it for a good few years so resell value isnt at the top of my list, but more around reliability and maintenance cost etc.

I've come across this one on carzone, and would appreciate people's feedback regarding what would be a reasonable opening asking price etc.

Thanks

W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Hi All,

Looking at getting a reliable run around for the other half, not really a brand person but been told to stick with Japs etc. Will probably hold onto it for a good few years so resell value isnt at the top of my list, but more around reliability and maintenance cost etc.

I've come across this one on carzone, and would appreciate people's feedback regarding what would be a reasonable opening asking price etc.

Thanks

W.

I feel like a spammer...and it's prob not what you're looking for.... but see sig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't be crazy about the Carisma, they can give gearbox problems, and aren't generally highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Not one of thier greatest efforts, i worked for a company that had a load of em on thier fleet in 1998, I'd say every one of them gave gearbox trouble, and these were nearly new cars, just a few thou on the clock, 4 figures. Hard to get in reverse, if i recall correctly the carpets were cheap and wore in no time. if i were you and it had to be a Mitsubishi, I'd maybe chance a Gallant but not a carisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If (and that's a big if) you can live with the looks, this may interest you:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Suzuki/Liana/car/1181745/

very dull, but practical, not too bad to drive, cheap to service and pretty reliable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A Mitsubishi Carisma is the old shape Volvo S40 with none of the good bits(safety, superb comfort, solidly built interior), but all of the bad bits(weak engines(they're slow), baulky gearbox, and not a lot of driving pleasure).

Oh and as said it didn't distinguish itself particularly well for reliability.

The S40 may be related to it, but it is a whole other world in that the Volvo is a much nicer car.

A Ford would provide oodles of driving pleasure and even if something did go wrong, it would cost very little to put right, as Ford parts are cheap.

I'd say a Fiesta or the German TUV winner for reliability, the Focus.

Japanese engineering isn't what everyone thinks it is either, just ask any Toyota Auris owner. That thing is giving some amount of trouble already. Oh and the Almera has gained quite a reputation for timing chain trouble, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one of them either(that and the fact that they're a rubbish car).

Wouldn't a Honda of some description be ideal for the OP, like a Civic? They seem to just never go wrong.

Mazdas seem to never go wrong either, and modern Skodas do very well in any of those JD Power satisfaction surverys, a LOT better than the Volkswagen/Seat/Audi cousins which all share the same running gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »

Wouldn't a Honda of some description be ideal for the OP, like a Civic? They seem to just never go wrong.

Ya, everyone in this country thinks civics only are available in 3 door and are only for young fellas. That leaves the saloon model very cheap to buy as most young fellas don't want them, and older folk don't think they exist. I pointed one out recently to people at work saying "They're a good 2nd hand buy, that civic, cause they're very cheap". They replied "Isn't that an Accord?". Thinking that the Civic was only 3 door!
    The 1.4 Civics are fairly unbreakable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Toyota Avensis is also a good buy. Bought a second hand UK import about 4 years ago from a dealer down the country. It was burning a litre of oil every 1000km so rang Toyota. They said bring it in and we will have a look. They looked, confirmed problem and pretty much replaced the engine.

Bought another one this year and will be a Toyota man for the forseeable future I would say. 2001/2002 models are the models with the oil issues so avoid those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks for the replies and advice. Really looking for a medium size car so large family cars are going to be just too big for what we need.

I have in mind to spend no more than €7K on this car and from reading this thread perhaps I'm setting my sights too low considering the state of the market? ie go looking for €9K cars looking for a bigger discount?

Came across this one which looks in good condition, the exec feature dont bother me etc..more the reliability etc and running costs? I'd imagine one could still bargain this price down some more?

Not sure to stay private or see what the dealers can do (with the added warranty etc..) and finally with this price range should I consider the UK for a bargain?

Thanks

W.

Advertisement