Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making college broadband wireless

Options
  • 17-09-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hey i have an ethernet connection in my room in my apartment and it works great but i want to make it wireless. I have a linksys adsl wireless router which when i hook up i can get the network fine theres just no internet. Is there any obvious settings i need to change to make it. Theres far too many acronyms in the router setup page (192.168.1.1) for me to understand, does anyone have any advise to give?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Steoob wrote: »
    Hey i have an ethernet connection in my room in my apartment and it works great but i want to make it wireless. I have a linksys adsl wireless router which when i hook up i can get the network fine theres just no internet. Is there any obvious settings i need to change to make it. Theres far too many acronyms in the router setup page (192.168.1.1) for me to understand, does anyone have any advise to give?

cheers

Does your college allow security risks like that? Best to check with them first. If they do, you'll need to ask if they restrict access to predetermined MAC addresses as many commonly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

what security risks tho?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

what security risks tho?

The ability for other people to use the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

easy, they give you one connection to the internet.

you then make that wireless.

unless you secure that wireless you are sharing that one connection with the whole community.

huge security risk tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You'd probably want to set it up solely as an access point as opposed to a modem/router (assuming you're not connected via dsl?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its never going to work with an ADSL router anyway. You MIGHT get it to work with a router alone with no modem built in.

i suppose your right there, but are they able to stop that from happening? what do you mean by access point in itself? i thought wireless routers pretty much were access points no?

EDIT: it isn't a modem, i dont know why i said it was adsl there, i obviously wasn't thinking. what i meant was that its a router that you plug an ethernet cable into as a source of network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

What you have is a multi-function unit. It's a DSL modem, a router and a wireless access point.

ok so, i pose my original question, how do i set up the wireless? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

cheers

Firstly, highly likely this is in breech of IT policy at your college, typical rules are only the College IT dept can provide a wireless access point. You would create a big security hole and possibly break a carefully planned frequency plan

Secondly colleges are wise to this and even if you get setup, probably won't work. I know of on college where the system actually can detect if you are using a router by the use of NAT and blocks that port. Other use network admissions control using VLAN's which do some clever tricks, again which won't work with a router in the way. Others require you lug your machine to a helpdesk where they take your MAC address restricting access.

If it all goes wrong, you probably could be dragged in to explain whats going on and be kicked off the network totally.

• Advertisement

well ya fair enough but its not a college network, i live in a block of apartments and the internet is run by the reception downstairs. saying i have a college network was just an easy way to describe it really.

well ya fair enough but its not a college network, i live in a block of apartments and the internet is run by the reception downstairs. saying i have a college network was just an easy way to describe it really.

Is it DHCP or using static addresses? If so plug the WAN port of the router into the ethernet port, and it should pick up the needed details automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Why not just plug the "internet" ethernet cable into one of the lan ports (NOT the WAN), disable DHCP and use it as a wireless switch? No mucking around with MAC addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Did you have to register your MAC address with the apartment block IT admin (did they want to see your computer etc) if so the they may have MAC filtering in place, most Routers out there can clone a MAC for the WAN port, what model router do you have? If you can find where to clone the MAC in the router config pages then clone the MAC of a computer that works when directly plugged into the wall plug and then it should work.

What is the address you get when directly connected? Start > Run > Type: CMD and press enter > at prompt type in: ipconfig /all read the output that you get and post it up.

MC

Advertisement