Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm confused about them P5Q motherboards..

Options
  • 17-09-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am in need of a new motherboard and I am leaning towards the Asus P5Q series but I am really confused as to which one to go for. There is the P5Q, P5Q-E, P5Q Pro, P5Q Deluxe and the P5Q3.:confused:

Can somebody explain in plain English what the difference is between these or which one to go for or avoid etc.

I am hoping to attempt a bit of overclocking and upgrade my gpu too.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

great table showing what each has and doesn't have:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=548

bottom line is the base version P5Q is fine but doesn't have Xfire so if u want Xfire get the P5Q Pro. I want the option of sli so i'm paying the xtra tenner for it. If i didn't think I'd want it, then P5Q is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

great table showing what each has and doesn't have:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=548

bottom line is the base version P5Q is fine but doesn't have Xfire so if u want Xfire get the P5Q Pro. I want the option of sli so i'm paying the xtra tenner for it. If i didn't think I'd want it, then P5Q is fine

Ah right cool, thanks for that! I might be interested in crossfire in the future!! hmmm choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ordered the deluxe version off hardwareversand for €156. Some good reviews for it on the web and I think the Express Gate thingy is a nice touch. Pity you can't access your storage through it though. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Should be a good decrease in noise too with the passive heat sinks.

Dingatron wrote: »
    Ordered the deluxe version off hardwareversand for €156. Some good reviews for it on the web and I think the Express Gate thingy is a nice touch. Pity you can't access your storage through it though. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Should be a good decrease in noise too with the passive heat sinks.

Yea I like the idea of that express gate thingy! Although you don't hear much about it. Am I right in saying that it has wifi? So I could ditch my wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I got the P5Q my self just a week back. Did not know it did not have CF my fault. Its a good board i like it but now i gone and ordered a board that does have CF.

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    Yea I like the idea of that express gate thingy! Although you don't hear much about it. Am I right in saying that it has wifi? So I could ditch my wireless router?

The following below have it by the looks of table posted. I didn't even realise that tbh. If that's true you could ditch the router but I'd wait and see how good it is. Not too sure how that would work as I'd assume you'd need to have the pc on the whole time though?

P5Q3 Deluxe
    P5Q Premium
    P5Q Deluxe
    P5Q-E

Dingatron wrote: »
    The following below have it by the looks of table posted. I didn't even realise that tbh. If that's true you could ditch the router but I'd wait and see how good it is. Not too sure how that would work as I'd assume you'd need to have the pc on the whole time though?

P5Q3 Deluxe

P5Q Premium

P5Q Deluxe

P5Q-E

Thats a good of I didn't think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

maybe i'm missing something here, but how does this fast boot up utility mean you have access to the internest without access to your router?

It gets access to your router through the network port on the mainboard. Assume it uses dhcp or you can configure a static ip and save it to the flash memory of the express gate. Yet to get mine yet but assume thats the way it works.

Advertisement