Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you think of this car?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2288501

The hubby is going to look at this tomorrow. Just needs something to get in and out of work with. Any thoughts? Never driven a Rover before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Make sure to ask when the head gasket was changed last (if at all), as the Rover K-Series engines are known to have an appetite for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Ditto the above post, this is due to old coolant eating the gasket so if it has not been changed it would need a decent service history.

They are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the guy took it as a trade in, he won't be much good for finding out how the car was maintained.

also, it's about €900 overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ...it's about €900 overpriced.

I might be looking at it wrong, but it appears that the total cost of the car is €995, are you saying that it should only be going for €95?

€95 may be a bit harsh, but I certainly wouldn't give over €400 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Leadership wrote: »
    Ditto the above post, this is due to old coolant eating the gasket so if it has not been changed it would need a decent service history.

They are ok
    Problem is not caused by old coolant, rather low coolant. They have a very small expansion tank, and the level must be checked often.

See my recent thread

Honest John's review

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

stay away, trouble ahead, get yourself any kind of corolla within your budget, trust me you will be sorry if you buy that yolk. the reason they are sold is because they are in trouble or heading for trouble. back to that touchy subject of rover headgaskets, enough said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

If he works next door it might just about do,otherwise forget about it,its a rover,icon14.gif
    Tell him to get himself a motorbike/scooter...icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks lads looks like I got a lucky break so....he rang to say it was already gone. He just needs something to get him to and from work every day. bout 25 miles a day in total and hopefully last as long as possible. His current car is a fiesta and it has lasted him well. Got it 2 years ago for 400 quid. Something cheap that would last that long would be ideal.

just seek out a 92-97 model Corolla, there are some very cheap ones out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

or carina-e - like-for-like they are usually a bit cheaper than the corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Honda Civic Saloon

Example
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/car/981248/
    but plenty to choose from

boy-races don't like the saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You could definitely haggle down to about the €750 ish mark. They are a grand and reasonably refined and comfortable car overall if you're not mean with maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

THanks everyone. He got himself a laguna this morning. Bit dirty but after a good clean it should look nice. It drives well and I sent my da with him to buy it......just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

foxy06 wrote: »
    He got himself a laguna this morning.
    Just as well you didn't ask for opinions on it! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement