Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hitchhiker's Guide book

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fringe wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm

The guy who wrote Artemis Fowl is writing a sixth book. I can't see this turning out well at all... Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
    I don't know. His writing, while aimed at kids/teenagers, is witty and engaging. It's always difficult to write a follow-on novel from a deceased author, and the reasoning behind it is questionable (money?) but at least Colfer is from a good pedigree, and he's Irish.

I was a huge fan of all of Adam's work when I was younger, and my kids seem to enjoy Colfer's writings just as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

and he's Irish.

Er, does that really matter?

Seems like a daft idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

John wrote: »
    Er, does that really matter?
    No, I guess it doesn't. I just like to see modern Irish authors doing well.
    Like any other Adams fans, I'd question the merits of continuing the series (or franchising it, which is akin to this situation). I am just glad that if somebody has to do it, it's an Irish author who writes some pretty entertaining books.

I'm a huge fan of Philip K Dick and read the posthumous Blade Runner 2 - The Edge of human, by K.W. Jeter. It wasn't a patch of the original, but still satisfied my needs to provide more exposure to the world that PKD created.

Will I buy the book? Probably not.I don;t this the trilogy needs another book. But if my kids (Artermis Fowl fans) want to read it after finishing the trilogy in five parts, then I'll be happy to buy it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 techguru2k8

i'll have to check it out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aaarggh. My kneejerk reaction is down with that sort of thing.

What is the point, seriously?
    on reflection I realised that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding on to the spirit of Douglas Adams.
    Adams would have had a chuckle at that.

Also, according to that article more copies of Artemis Fowl have been sold than HHGTTG? I find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm a huge fan of Philip K Dick and read the posthumous Blade Runner 2 - The Edge of human, by K.W. Jeter. It wasn't a patch of the original, but still satisfied my needs to provide more exposure to the world that PKD created.

I read that too and it put me off the original even :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

literature huh?
    The posthumous Dune books are supposed to be woeful too - but at least they were co-authored by a relation of Frank Herbert I think. I find this sort of thing distasteful.

Advertisement