Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A list was posted here.

Thaedydal is pagan/wicca so I don't think that list applies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

because.............the alternative is just too ****in bleak...if there isnt a god what i it that drives people to do/go above and beyond what society expects of them??? people like bob and his band aid, noels HQ mama theresa, and the Irish woman who moved over to help rowandan/romanian (?) orphans (Ill burn in hell cause I cant remember )
    of course in the trdition of yin&yang if there is god there has to be a nemesis ENTER satan
    If he doesn't exist then how????? do we explain such barbaric awful things that happen, child abuse/paedophilia/human torture/ parents losing children in completely horrendous/inexplicable/unforeseen circumstances etc.. No god no afterlife, right?

I'm not converting to religion just yet, I don't agree with your explanation.
    the alternative is just too ****in bleak...if there isnt a god what i it that drives people to do/go above and beyond what society expects of them???

That's a bit vague question.
    Society is the collective term used to describe large groups of 'humans interacting'.

The thing is though, humans evolved over time, and this global society, let's just say the last 3000 years. This society evolved into what we are today. But the thing is, people have not really been given enough time to evolve since then.
    So we as humans, are actually physically and mentally built to survive in conditions before this global society.
    Humans have instincts, just like animals do. We, humans in the modern world society, have not yet evolved beyond our primitive instincts. Which evolved more along a timescale of 300,000 years.
    Humans are what they are. The example you gave:
    "drives people to do/go above and beyond what society expects of them"
    Well, people are competitive. People are adaptive, people are ambitious, and intelligent. These are traits / instincts that have been with us for thousands of years. It is always important to visualize what life was like for the human-species whose instincts we have inherited through our genes. What were the social conditions that for the majority of the time, evolved through.
    people like bob and his band aid, noels HQ mama theresa, and the Irish woman who moved over to help rowandan/romanian (?) orphans (Ill burn in hell cause I cant remember )

Humans are capable of doing good things. Simple as. Humans are also capable of doing evil things. The thing is though, 'humans' on a large scale, cannot be simplified to 'good' or 'evil'.
    Reality isn't that simple.
    of course in the trdition of yin&yang if there is god there has to be a nemesis ENTER satan
    If he doesn't exist then how?????
    Why so? You have yet to explain why you believe in god, and you've begun talking about Satan. You're now saying that there is an opposition to god, because of yin and yang. Theories of men.
    If he doesn't exist then how????? do we explain such barbaric awful things that happen, child abuse/paedophilia/human torture/ parents losing children in completely horrendous/inexplicable/unforeseen circumstances etc..

Again, humans are capable of good and also evil. People who I'd associate the above usually associate with personal disorders.
    Skitzophrenia, Psychopaths, bi-polar disorder. The human mind is a complicated thing. And specific types of human personalities are capable of doing horrendous things.

But you have to remember, throughout the evolution of mankind, it was survival of the fittest. The good guys didn't always win back then. Aggression, violence, bullying, pathological thinking, all these things have carried through to modern genes through the genes of our ancestors. When it's survival of the fittest, what type of humans do you think provided us with our gene-pool.
    In those times, humans who were willing to commit murder, were the ones who survived and lived on.
    All the negative things in the world, are the result of negative behaviour/instincts inherited from our ancestors.

. No god no afterlife, right?
    Humans today, do not know nearly enough about life and the universe to even begin to comprehend the concept of what or where an after-life could or would be.
    On the other hand, a load of Bronze-aged priests, reckoned they have the whole afterlife business Sussed out.
    "Ehm, god, the man with the beard lives up there. If you're a good person, your soul will be taken up to heaven after you die, if you're a bad person, you go live with the evil one down in the fires underneath earth called hell."

These priests, in being part of a bronze-aged society, didn't realize that the earth was round. They didn't realize that the stars were in fact other suns a great distance away. 'Dreams', a persons ability to do so, was seen as your spirit/soul interacting with the 'other' world. They assumed that their dreams were setting place in the other world, which is where they'd be going permanently after they died in 'this' world.

Also it is worth noting that humans have been aware of astrology for quite some time. Look at New-grange in Ireland, and the Aztec pyramids in South America. Humans have recognised and been awear of the constellations for for the last 50,000 years or so.
    It is in fact interesting to see that the story of Jesus, has links to the constelations. I'd recommend watching the following video:
    This

It shines some light on the interesting link between what we know as the gospels, and other, older knoledge.

Around 50,000 years ago, we were capable of astrology, religions formed and evolved in a similar fashion to the evolution of human language.
    In fact, with the story of Noah, Moses, scholars have found similar types of stories, dating back 3000 years before the old testement.

And note that only in the last 150 years or so have archaeologists actually figured out what the world was like back in the time of the bible. For a long time, people just assumed that genesis and the rest of the old Testement was accurate in terms of dates etc..

Only recently have people realised that the jews were not slaves of Egypt. We now know that the Jews were a race of people that were originally Caananites.
    Anything in the bible, written about times before 300B.C completely contradict
    what we have learned about the ancient worlds, in recent times. Anything before 300B.C, is in no way accurate. These books do however show inspiration from other religious beliefs of the time. Moses is thought to have actually immigrated from Eqypt with some of his followers.
    The Eqyption records of the time, show a rebellion cause by a man that can be linked to Moses. The group of Egyptions that Moses lead, integrated their stories and beliefs with the people of Israel.

Religions evolve just like languages. :) You should read up on things like this, it's very interesting stuff.
    The bible is a collection of educated writings from the bronze/iron aged peoples. I commend the bible, as it contributed to the concept of 'law and order' in barbaric times.
    And in retrospect, the whole creation theory put forth by Genesis is actually a pretty good hypothesis, when you bear in mind the resources, and assumptions of the world at the time. Before science, stories whose origins were based on observations of the stars. (Which was horribly, horribly misunderstood by these peoples.)

Stars : Can represent angles, they can tell stories.
    Fire, death, suffering :These are represented by the Devil. Hell was considered to be beneath the earth.
    The skies/heavens above the earth, is where light and rain comes from. Therefore associated with good things.
    The Sun is God. The most powerful higher being, the brightest object in the sky.

I'm still waiting on an answer.

"I believe in god because............................"

A logical conclusion to that sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

aidan24326 wrote: »

First off, if I'm 'descended from apes' as you put it, then surely that implies that everyone else is too? I'm not sure what you mean tbh. .

Sorry Aidan I was being unfair - accepting your self description as an ape ... doesnt change my belief that my bunch are created by God.

So my question is do you believe you are created by god or descended from apes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CDfm wrote: »
    So thats you saying you believe in television and if it doesnt get delivered to you in a comic book format you cannot comprehend it.
    So that's you saying you don't have a sense of humour?

djpbarry wrote: »
    So that's you saying you don't have a sense of humour?
    Not really - but I didnt know if you were here to debate or pass the time with wisecracks - I enjoy both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Well If anyone knows about Quantum Physics, which is the basis of our existance you can believe in 2 things.....

1. They know that the big bang was started by a thing called a "Quark" which is basically contained with in Protons and Neutrons. These exist in a state of nothingness until someone looks at them and they come into reality. Therefore there had to be something to look at the Quark before space and time existed to spark the beginning of the One isngle Universe we live in (a God If you will)

2. Quarks instead of becoming one reality expand themselves into other Parallel Universes.

So it's one or the other im afraid.

Unless you are a Creationistand don't believe in the Big Bang. Then you should hurry up and Die and stop wasting the intelligent people's air

Nice to see ya again HH - as true a scientific scholar as ever there was bringing order into an otherwise muddled argument - now thats the unbelevers told(and some of the belevers as well).How ecunimical of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Thaedydal is pagan/wicca so I don't think that list applies!

I'm ignorant to that, unfortunately. Who are the Gods of Wiccans? The Charmed ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Do I believe in a God?

I would say that I consider the likelihood of any particular god existing to be negligible enough not to bother with. I figure I have 50 years left and there's no way I'm going to spend so much as a moment of that worrying about which of the hundreds of arbitrary deities has got the goods, if any. As I see it, there's no reason to logically assume that a God exists, but tons of emotional reasons to make one up.

Do I believe in a God?

I would say that I consider the likelihood of any particular god existing to be negligible enough not to bother with. I figure I have 50 years left and there's no way I'm going to spend so much as a moment of that worrying about which of the hundreds of arbitrary deities has got the goods, if any. As I see it, there's no reason to logically assume that a God exists, but tons of emotional reasons to make one up.
    AtomicHorror - you are just a Social Contruct and thats all you will ever be.

• Advertisement

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Well If anyone knows about Quantum Physics, which is the basis of our existance you can believe in 2 things.....

1. They know that the big bang was started by a thing called a "Quark" which is basically contained with in Protons and Neutrons. These exist in a state of nothingness until someone looks at them and they come into reality. Therefore there had to be something to look at the Quark before space and time existed to spark the beginning of the One isngle Universe we live in (a God If you will)

2. Quarks instead of becoming one reality expand themselves into other Parallel Universes.

So it's one or the other im afraid.

Unless you are a Creationistand don't believe in the Big Bang. Then you should hurry up and Die and stop wasting the intelligent people's air

:rolleyes: :D

Sorry Aidan I was being unfair - accepting your self description as an ape ... doesnt change my belief that my bunch are created by God.

So my question is do you believe you are created by god or descended from apes.:D

I do not believe I was created by god. The evidence that we have evolved via natural selection is overwhelming. It's a remarkable theory, you should look it up.

I'm ignorant to that, unfortunately. Who are the Gods of Wiccans? The Charmed ones?

There is a paganism forum here which will probably enlighten you better than I could. It's a mish mash of alot of different things, some of it very noble (respect for nature and the environment) and some of it very airy-fairy (crystals, witchcraft, magic etc)

Nice one Aidan- Im way past that stuff -but I dig into the odd Christian debate and will weigh in with the God crew.

Good to see someone genuine about their beliefs.

Though if the question polled was mine I think we would get a different result.

AtomicHorror - you are just a Social Contruct and thats all you will ever be.

Wow, you got all that from a paragraph? I was wondering why I was such a two dimensional cliche of a person but now it's all so clear. Thank you.

I'm curious though as to how someone who values questioning everything until his reason is satisfied could be considered a slave to anything other than rationality? And why someone who seems to think it's okay to say "God did it" (as if that represents an answer, rather than a response designed to stop questions), is aware of how ironic his labeling is?

Wow, you got all that from a paragraph? I was wondering why I was such a two dimensional cliche of a person but now it's all so clear. Thank you.

I'm curious though as to how someone who values questioning everything until his reason is satisfied could be considered a slave to anything other than rationality? And why someone who seems to think it's okay to say "God did it" (as if that represents an answer, rather than a response designed to stop questions), is aware of how ironic his labeling is?
    Check out my post 286 and all will be revealed.

Check out my post 286 and all will be revealed.

Questions were rhetorical. I don't care enough to look.

Nice one Aidan- Im way past that stuff -but I dig into the odd Christian debate and will weigh in with the God crew

Way past what exactly?

Way past what exactly?

Reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This poll has confirmed my original thoughts. As science progresses, people believe less and less in God or God-like figures. As it stands over 61% of us don't believe in God, with a further 11% which are not sure. 26% infact categorically state that they do believe in God.

Now - Imagine the poll results of such a question 50 tyears ago. I think it would be on the flipside. And then 100 years ago? Probably in the high 90%'s.. Surely it's evident to people that the more we learn, the more we stop depending on colourful characters to fill in the dots.

If God exists, I think he'll forgive us for being human and only accepting what seems reasonable. If he doesn't, then he's not my kind of God anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

haha, just got banned from the christianity forum for the most bogus reason. bah!

...that would be a no then to beliefes...
    If God exists, I think he'll forgive us for being human and only accepting what seems reasonable. If he doesn't, then he's not my kind of God anyways
    haha, nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

dlofnep wrote: »
    This poll has confirmed my original thoughts. As science progresses, people believe less and less in God or God-like figures. As it stands over 61% of us don't believe in God, with a further 11% which are not sure. 26% infact categorically state that they do believe in God.

Now - Imagine the poll results of such a question 50 tyears ago. I think it would be on the flipside. And then 100 years ago? Probably in the high 90%'s.. Surely it's evident to people that the more we learn, the more we stop depending on colourful characters to fill in the dots.
    This is the internet. In the real world, belief in God is, sadly, by no means in decline. There's still a bias towards scientific/technical minded people (or nerds if you like) here. I'd say 8/9 years ago on here, the poll would have been even more in favour of non believers.

• Advertisement

Though if the question polled was mine I think we would get a different result.
    What question would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do you believe in a god?
    -Yes
    -I rape children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    I'm not converting to religion just yet, I don't agree with your explanation.

Why so? You have yet to explain why you believe in god, and you've begun talking about Satan. You're now saying that there is an opposition to god, because of yin and yang. Theories of men.

"I believe in god because............................"

A logical conclusion to that sentence?

First of all apologies for this post, BUT it is my own opinion
    and if you're deeply religious then dont read cause you will be offended,

my previous post was a guess as to why people do believe in religion, and I can see why
    But me being an incurable cynic absolutely dont

Sorry, apologies for misleading you. I'm not unlike yourself, I dont believe in god, it started out with a strong revulsion against the largest, richest hypocritical paedophile ring/child abusers ever known on the face of the earth...(the rcc) but as I got older I noticed that it wasn't the only rediculous non-sensicle religion, indeed most of them are bordering on the rediculous...not to mention that every major war/genocide/atrocity is done under the flag of religion..and history records this...
    then as life continued to kick me in the teeth the way only life can, I gave up believing in a higher good altogether, as someone so eloquently put it, "life doesn't do fair"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

j0605 wrote: »
    How are you so sure there isn't a God, ?

the stories that suggest his his existance have no basis

science disproves a part of thye idea of god and people go " hey but mabey he's around but different than the last generation thought"

i'm pretty sure that hguman are divided into leaders and followers and the same urge that makes some people uncomfortable working for others and makes them strive to be rulers if not of those aaround them at least of themselves is the mirror opposite of the urge to find a powerful and strong leader for a follower to follow

this urge to find a leader and to believe that someone is going to make sense of this crazy world is the inner peace that peoppoe talk about when they give up some responsaiblilty for them selves to a god or gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

haha, just got banned from the christianity forum for the most bogus reason. bah!

...that would be a no then to beliefes...

haha, nice

For Pissing people off. Both the Christians and the Atheists.

Way past what exactly?
    i dont need wicca or buddha.

perfectly happy the way I am - im not out to convert anyone

pleased to see happy well adjusted atheists - but spare me the "look at me Im an atheist and we know it all" (said in a condesending falsetto Homer voice)- Im not interested:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh you DON'T want the condescending stuff????! FFS now he tells me...

Nah Dave - I dont do condescending if I did Id suggest polling the posters asking them have the told their Mommies their Atheist:rolleyes:

No dear - Mommie will tell you if your atheist sweetie
    Thanks Mommie:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    But, and this isn't supposed to be insulting, I'm just very curious about beliefs like yours, how can you derive any comfort from such a stance? I mean, I can't fathom how you can get anything out of such a belief. There's not a whole lot of difference between believing a higher power, who you have no idea how it came about, created the universe and acknowledging you have no idea how the universe came about. I struggle to understand what exactly you have blind faith in and why?

Firstly, don't worry I'm not in the least bit insulted. And if I was, would you actually care? :P

And as for why I derive comfort in believing in a higher power - I honestly cannot explain. I just do. As ridiculous and unsatisfactory as that may sound to others, to me it's normal.
    I'd be lying if I said I never question my beliefs: a few years ago I was quite a good Catholic but I've distanced myself from the Church because there are too many aspects of Catholicism that I disagree with.
    I completely acknowledge that there is a chance I'm wrong. I don't think I'm wrong, but I could be. And if I am wrong, then so be it.

Something in the future may change my mind: you often hear about people finding God, maybe I might go the opposite direction and lose him! :) But I very much doubt that will ever happen.

dlofnep wrote:
    If God exists, I think he'll forgive us for being human and only accepting what seems reasonable. If he doesn't, then he's not my kind of God anyways.

Lol, have to admit that's a good reply! :)
    vinylmesh wrote: »
    why would you believe in something that you can't prove, that's just silly!

Well then I guess I'm silly.

wibble wobble ROFL jelly.

• Advertisement

I dont do condescending if I did Id suggest polling the posters asking them have the told their Mommies their Atheist
    Why's that? Do you seek constant approval from your mother?

Advertisement