Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

djpbarry wrote: »
    Why's that? Do you seek constant approval from your mother?

nono, he seeks something else from his mother....something different entirly...something very very wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

nono, he seeks something else from his mother....something different entirly...something very very wrong ;)
    Marmite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Give us a clue - Does it start with...
    Mommie why doesnt Action Man have a willy.

Why's that? Do you seek constant approval from your mother?
    Too old for that mate.

Its just the argument about god is VV juvenile and belongs in a secondary school classroom or maybe the common room in UCD freshers debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    This is the internet. In the real world, belief in God is, sadly, by no means in decline. There's still a bias towards scientific/technical minded people (or nerds if you like) here. I'd say 8/9 years ago on here, the poll would have been even more in favour of non believers.

Overall I think there is no decline but I think we'd find that the slack is mostly being taken up in the developing world. I suspect this mostly concerns the top three religions too, I would have to wonder if religious thinking in general is stable or declining.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    i dont need wicca or buddha.

perfectly happy the way I am - im not out to convert anyone

pleased to see happy well adjusted atheists - but spare me the "look at me Im an atheist and we know it all" (said in a condesending falsetto Homer voice)- Im not interested:rolleyes:

By that you mean people saying "no" and then having the gall to explain why? Your attitude overall really doesn't scream "perfectly happy" to me.

Marmite?

jaysus, not that bad!
    Give us a clue - Does it start with...
    Mommie why doesnt Action Man have a willy.

...... i really dont know what to say to that....
    pleased to see happy well adjusted atheists - but spare me the "look at me Im an atheist and we know it all".

this is bollix. what do preists, preachers, and religious people in general do on a daily basis!!??

....hypocrit

but I cant see why people feel the need to beleive in god tbh, is it cause they need to confide in someone or something?...what's wrong with jsut getting a dog then?,,,seems more sane tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

jaysus, not that bad!

but I cant see why people feel the need to beleive in god tbh, is it cause they need to confide in someone or something?...what's wrong with jsut getting a dog then?,,,seems more sane tbh

Poor dog. Will it be called DOG? Imagine how much in the world is blamed on God and now these poor innocent animals will have to hear it. The DSCPA will be kept quite busy ;)

Poor dog. Will it be called DOG? Imagine how much in the world is blamed on God and now these poor innocent animals will have to hear it. The DSCPA will be kept quite busy ;)

thats probably it, thats how they got mixed up in the very begining!

jaysus!, Jes... JESUS may have been dyslexic!

My take on it goes a bit like this. We have a tendency to look for causal relationships between all manner of patterns we encounter. We search for purpose, cause and effect. We needed in the past to do this quickly and based on very limited information- so we got leaps of faith. These kept us alive. We also rarely observed naturalistic creative forces and so we tended to assume that creation requires an intelligent agent. Throw in our natural fear of death, our need to rationalise morality (so we can regulate social groups) and out of that fun mix we get superstitions and finally religions.

Technically, the more we know the less we should need religion. But the traits in our biology and psychology that gave birth to religion took millions of years to evolve. To expect them to vanish in a couple of thousand years is a bit much.

• Advertisement

jaysus, not that bad!

this is bollix. what do preists, preachers, and religious people in general do on a daily basis!!??

....hypocrit

I am not a priest or a preacher and dont particularily care if people believe or not.

Its a free world but yer all going to HELL.

My take on it goes a bit like this. We have a tendency to look for causal relationships between all manner of patterns we encounter. We search for purpose, cause and effect. We needed in the past to do this quickly and based on very limited information- so we got leaps of faith. These kept us alive. We also rarely observed naturalistic creative forces and so we tended to assume that creation requires an intelligent agent. Throw in our natural fear of death, our need to rationalise morality (so we can regulate social groups) and out of that fun mix we get superstitions and finally religions.

Technically, the more we know the less we should need religion. But the traits in our biology and psychology that gave birth to religion took millions of years to evolve. To expect them to vanish in a couple of thousand years is a bit much.

Dear God help us. :rolleyes:

Dear Nietzsche help us:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I am not a priest or a preacher and dont particularily care if people believe or not.

Nah Dave - I dont do condescending if I did Id suggest polling the posters asking them have the told their Mommies their Atheist:rolleyes:

No dear - Mommie will tell you if your atheist sweetie
    Thanks Mommie:cool:

You're clearly just trolling now and will be henceforth ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

Do you?

Hell no!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Too old for that mate.

Its just the argument about god is VV juvenile...
    And yet you're still here.
    Been there already; passed through it on my way to Trondheim. The music festival's quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

It's all rubbish - a scam used for centuries for the churches to keep control and to gain wealth - only now when they lose their grip on the public are we starting to realise what a load of crap it all is ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

It's all rubbish - a scam used for centuries for the churches to keep control and to gain wealth - only now when they lose their grip on the public are we starting to realise what a load of crap it all is ..........

I think you are talking about Religion.

:pac:

Any specific point you disagree with there or are you just tired of the debate?
    Dear Nietzsche help us:rolleyes:

I've never read Nietzsche to be honest. A couple of quotes on rationality and nothing on religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What about religions that don't have a church structure like the christian one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Thaedydal is pagan/wicca so I don't think that list applies!

Some do personally, some don't.
    Just cos a God does not personally apply that doesn't mean I don't respect that
    such a deity does not apply to others personally and I can recognise a God as a God with out it being my God or one I work with, worship or pray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I look at it this way:

If I don't believe in God, and I end up being wrong then things will most likely not turn out well for me.

If I do believe in God, and I end up being wrong then I won't have lost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Davidius wrote: »
    I look at it this way:

If I don't believe in God, and I end up being wrong then things will most likely not turn out well for me.

If I do believe in God, and I end up being wrong then I won't have lost anything.

But which God? Worshiping the wrong one will only make the real one madder and madder.

Imagine if there was one true God, but one who hated the idea of people worshiping/praying to him. That'd be hilarious. :D

And yet you're still here.
    Been there already; passed through it on my way to Trondheim. The music festival's quite good.
    good festival Trondheim - was at the rock festival years back - I suppose you went there for an Abba convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Damn these threads:mad:

Always turn into contests between Atheist and Deacon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

dont believe in god, but believe in mother nature (or just the way the world tries to look after itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Shelflife wrote: »
    dont believe in god, but believe in mother nature (or just the way the world tries to look after itself)

I don't believe in nature.
    Too much evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Is God real.....Hang on i'll text him now and ask him

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Is God real.....Hang on i'll text him now and ask him

"Message failed. Retry?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 London Irish

Do you? One great thing of good? An essence of great being?

This is not a question about religion or the church. Nor any modern worship practises.

Just a simple question about something more than can be imagined.

Do you believe in a God?

No.

Advertisement