Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I'll leave that to the Creationists

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah sure I love a good bit of fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Ah sure I love a good bit of fantasy.
    The Missing page of the Bible:

Any similarities to persons living or dead is purely coincidential
    The Bible 1.AD C Fox Corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 36 London Irish

My take on it goes a bit like this. We have a tendency to look for causal relationships between all manner of patterns we encounter. We search for purpose, cause and effect. We needed in the past to do this quickly and based on very limited information- so we got leaps of faith. These kept us alive. We also rarely observed naturalistic creative forces and so we tended to assume that creation requires an intelligent agent. Throw in our natural fear of death, our need to rationalise morality (so we can regulate social groups) and out of that fun mix we get superstitions and finally religions.

Technically, the more we know the less we should need religion. But the traits in our biology and psychology that gave birth to religion took millions of years to evolve. To expect them to vanish in a couple of thousand years is a bit much.

Pretty much spot on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Well seeing as this whole world and all of you are a creation in my head then yes I do believe in myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Shelflife wrote: »
    believe in mother nature

I knew it all the volanoes and hurricanes and the like - it just had to be a woman.

Global warming is just hot flushes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

atheists 200 - god botherers 95

There's hope in this new Ireland after all.

atheists 200 - god botherers 95

There's hope in this new Ireland after all.

Ape Descendants-200

Created in Gods Image 95

The eff*** apes are taking over and its nothing like the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Descended from apes: 205
    Created in God's image (which looks like an ape): 95

300 apes! :eek:

300_spartans2.jpg

Galvasean wrote: »
    Descended from apes: 205
    Created in God's image (which looks like an ape): 95

300 apes! :eek:

300_spartans2.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you believe in God, and it turns out that He doesn't exist, then when you die you will not know about it. The lights will simply go out. If, however, He does exist and if there is a heaven as the bible says, then if you denied His existence you ain't going to be there. Religion then could be considered an insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

human physiology is pretty well know at this stage, and guess what there is no soul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ART6 wrote: »
    If you believe in God, and it turns out that He doesn't exist, then when you die you will not know about it. The lights will simply go out. If, however, He does exist and if there is a heaven as the bible says, then if you denied His existence you ain't going to be there. Religion then could be considered an insurance policy.

But would a god prefer someone who is honest with themselves and says "I just can't believe in it. It goes against all the logic and reason I have been given" or someone who thinks that they can lie their way into heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

HouseHippo wrote: »
    The Missing page of the Bible:

Any similarities to persons living or dead is purely coincidential
    The Bible 1.AD C Fox Corporation

LOLz:D:D:D excellent, do you write for the simpsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

We've heard that one before ART6, and it doesn't any get better with the telling I assure you. Pascal's wager it's called by the way, and it's still a pretty stupid reason to believe in religion. To believe in the wrong one (and there's alot of them remember) would be the same as believing in none at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Most of us are skeptical about what is written in todays literature.

Why should we believe something written by people 2000 years ago with no where near the amount of worldly knowledge we have today.

Anyways... even if there was an afterlife, there's no absolutely no guarantee we'd be in the same priviledged position of being at the top of the food chain there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Except that it might turn out that you've been worshipping Yahweh, when the true god is Ba'al or Thor -- and then you have to spend the rest of eternity getting hit in the face with a hammer.

Not good.

Dave! wrote: »
    Except that it might turn out that you've been worshipping Yahweh, when the true god is Ba'al or Thor -- and then you have to spend the rest of eternity getting hit in the face with a hammer.

Not good.

A common Dave! religous beliefs are not all that bad. You get Christmas presents and easter eggs and they must bring a smile to your face in real life.:)

Many people need them as a source of a moral code even at a basic level - even if you dont believe yourself - Bono does.

Nobody needs religion as a source of moral code. Would you be terribly shocked to learn that I don't steal or rape or pillage? How do you explain it?

Nobody needs religion as a source of moral code. Would you be terribly shocked to learn that I don't steal or rape or pillage? How do you explain it?

Hugely - my problem with Wiccans is the dancing naked in the woods or in Tara.This is Ireland and you could catch a nasty cold if ya did that.

• Advertisement

Capital evasion there bud! My hero <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Not sure- 11.05%

Buddhists? :confused:

I hope in my afterlife...I'm a moderator :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

No, I don't.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Not sure- 11.05%

Buddhists? :confused:

I hope in my afterlife...I'm a moderator :cool:
    If you don't clean up your life, and I mean pronto, you could end up being an AH moderator! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Lets envisage a little scenario.

Person1is a convicted rapist and person 2 is a UNICEF atheist.
    The rapist asks for gods "forgiveness" on his deathbed, and
    suddenly all is dandy in the catholic sense.

Person 2 is intelligent/not deluded enough to simply hide behind
    the veil of Religion. He dies with hill moral dignity and superior sense of self.
    The point is, the UNICEF worker is not "rewarded" for his good actions.
    Contrast this to the rapist...

Think of all the resources religious institutions waste.
    All this religious wish wash would be better spent on the important things in life, like helping your fellow man:(
    Even if there was a "god" the Atheist heathen would be top among gods list.

Capital evasion there bud! My hero <3
    Moi - surely you jest.

Havent I spent time being savaged by Heretics on the Popes thread and you expect a witty retort. How unchristian of you.

Naikon wrote: »

the veil of Religion. He dies with hill moral dignity and superior sense of self.

All this religious wish wash would be better spent on the important things in life, like helping your fellow man:(

Funnily enough while thats a very simplistic reading of Catholic thought on the subject and it is also a very good example.

I had a discussion a few years back with a priest concerning the death of a nun who died as a result of arson or something where the community of nuns were apologised to by the arsonist and wouldnt testify. He walked.

Now I would not agree with that and neither did the priest. In the context of religious belief forgiveness in a spiritual sense is with God.So that is one issue. The other was that the arsonist was still in the area and was a danger to the religious community and others so it was not their choice to make really -it was reckless.

Im not an expert but your example is not as far fetched as you make out.But then again asking for forgiveness from God is a tricky one it implies sincerity and repentance etc.So the guy is not necessarily on top-that may not be the soft option..

Neither is the atheist worse off as he gets no more or less than he has expected.

Believe it or not -while in general the Church doesnt support capital punishment - that does not mean that it always condemns it especially where there is no alternative and it is for the general good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Except God is said to be omniscient. if so he will easily see through your attempt at deception and beat the crap out of you on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Naikon wrote: »

Actually, in that analogy, your confusing Catholicism with most brands of Protestantism. Catholicism also requires a person to do good works to be saved, Protestantism merely requires faith in God.

It also teaches that it is useless to confess if you know you will sin again (intending to), confessing on your deathbed as a way of getting out of jail free doesn't work unless you seriously are sorry rather than just hoping to evade punishment.

Quite honestly, the whole "Atheists are intelligent" argument annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Canis_major

A mans gotta believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer :D

Advertisement