Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Wait, I got a good'un.

If Jesus is so great, why is he dead?

Deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunstar

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why does there have to be a higher power?

because where did it all come from?who decided the sky is blue and the grass is green?why are we here?why have we morals, a conscience?ths questions can go on and on but there are no answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me.

We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

(+1 for whomever gets the reference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Jesus Loves You

sunstar wrote: »
    because where did it all come from?who decided the sky is blue and the grass is green?why are we here?why have we morals, a conscience?ths questions can go on and on but there are no answers.

There are answers.

You just have to let them be. The miracle of science and Religion is not that detached ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jay P wrote: »
    Wait, I got a good'un.

Deep.

Woah, you're right dude!

Man, I outlived Jesus! How fcuking awesome am I?

• Advertisement

Wait, I got a good'un.

Deep.

You tried to be mocking and funny and failed.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

sunstar wrote: »

Nobody decided anything. It just happens to be..

Green is green because..

Sunlight gives off UV rays, which plants absorb to turn into energy. This energy is called ATP. In order for photosynthesis to occur, ATP must be present. Because, as the second person stated, light is all the colors of the Visible Light Spectrum, or Rainbow. All colors EXCEPT green are absorbed into the chlorophyll. Unfortunately, this is where the second person got it confused. Green is the color reflected and transmitted back, and that is why we see green in plants.

The sky is blue because...

when sunlight filters through the oxygen in the atmosphere, the oxygen absorbs all other colors but blue. The reason the sky is not so blue that it is black though, is because only 20% of the atmosphere is oxygen.

We are here because.. Well, I can answer this one. Your parents had sex. Disgusting, huh?

We have morals because of a number of reasons. Fear of the consequences of law, moral issues being addressed in school and so forth.

Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It is called climate change. Read up bit.

Climate change is just Global Warming v2.0, god was the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You tried to be mocking and funny and failed.

:(

You're trying to be a troll and succeeding.

Climate change is just Global Warming v2.0, god was the beta.

Climate change is supported by all the major geologists and climatologists. What else do you wish to deny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No, I don't believe in a god. The concept just seems illogical to me.

Climate change is supported by all the major geologists and climatologists. What else do you wish to deny?

That climate change is purely attributed to man. ;)

That climate change is purely attributed to man. ;)

Purely would implicate that it is totally attributed to man. Nobody makes that claim - But it is greatly attributed to man. And if you deny that, then you incorrect and also, a big DENIER!

DENIER FACE!!!

You're trying to be a troll and succeeding.

You are an idiot who succeed. Where do we go from here?

Even Jesus has limits on his love,.

I have quotas!

LOL..

LOL..

My love was irked :)

Nobody decided anything. It just happens to be..

I can't quite agree with this.
    Like where does all matter come from, if not created? The Big Bang happened due to some "initial condition" - how did that initial condition come about?

Personally I have always believed that there is some higher power out there. It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether anyone else believes or not.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I wouldn't bank on god existing however because grass is green and the sky is blue.
    Like where does all matter come from, if not created? The Big Bang happened due to some "initial condition" - how did that initial condition come about?

I suspect that the universe is infinite in a continous loop of sucking matter together into a central point, via super-large black hole - and then it explodes expanding into the universe, where matter joins/cools and creates galaxies. Eventually a black hole becomes so large it repeats this process, and then BAM - big bang # 34583 and so forth. I may be wrong, but I'd bank on it over some guy sitting there for billions of years on his lonesome bashing out galaxies and creating people and so forth.

Purely would implicate that it is totally attributed to man. Nobody makes that claim - But it is greatly attributed to man. And if you deny that, then you incorrect and also, a big DENIER!

DENIER FACE!!!

And I suppose man was responsible for the climatic fluctuations during the
    Pleistocene era? Back OT, it's amusing to see people keeping the faith - even if it's blind ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Did you hear about the Dyslectic Agnostic Insomniac?

Stayed awake all night wondering if there is really a Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I believe in God but im not religious. I believe God doesnt interfere in this world and that all our actions and what we do are determined by ourselves.

Im not a big fan of atheists. I respect their right to believe in god but i do not like the way a lot of atheists look down their noses at people who do believe in god.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I wouldn't bank on god existing however because grass is green and the sky is blue.

Lol, it's not why the grass is green and the sky is blue that I'm basing it on. It's the fact that they exist in the first place! :)

And I suppose man was responsible for the climatic fluctuations during the
    Pleistocene era? Back OT, it's amusing to see people keeping the faith - even if it's blind ;)

There were many climate changes throughout the ages. They were natural. However, we pump various elements into the earth which is causing a unnatural change in our climate. Your argument is weak at best. I'll keep the faith with those in the know, ie: climatologists - rather than you, someone who thinks its cool not to believe in something that's staring you straight in the face.

Lol, it's not why the grass is green and the sky is blue that I'm basing it on. It's the fact that they exist in the first place! :)

So grass requires God to exist? Would a rock require God to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Not particurly, and the Abrahamic God of Christianity, Judaism and Islam is particurly absurd for a litany of reasons. The idea that it is in human form with a big white beard, looking just like your favourite grandfather, is just a really sad form of wishful thinking.

However, I'm not an Athiest - if only because the idea of a theory that is based around disproving something that hasn't been proven to exist seems rather...stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Personally I have always believed that there is some higher power out there. It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether anyone else believes or not.

I was of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I was of the same opinion.

Where did God come from then? Did he always exist? What did he do for the billions of years before life came around? What did he do to occupy time? How was he born? Did he have parents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I suspect that the universe is infinite in a continous loop of sucking matter together into a central point, via super-large black hole - and then it explodes expanding into the universe, where matter joins/cools and creates galaxies. Eventually a black hole becomes so large it repeats this process, and then BAM - big bang # 34583 and so forth. I may be wrong, but I'd bank on it over some guy sitting there for billions of years on his lonesome bashing out galaxies and creating people and so forth.

I remember seeing a theory similar to this on The Universe on the History Channel. some scientists think that after the universe expands too much it then begins collapsing inwards and everything is destroyed. then a big bang occurs again creating a new universe thus an endless cycle of universe creation and collapse.

Advertisement