Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

dlofnep wrote: »
    So grass requires God to exist? Would a robelieve there must be some higher power out there.

Not just grass and rocks - every electron and quark in the entirity of the universe. Science cannot explain everything, and there is a limit to the knowledge of mankind. One of the reasons why I believe in a higher power is because it accounts for everything that we cannot understand.
    Another reason I believe in a higher power is because I firmly believe in an afterlife.

God cannot be proven to exist or to not exist - it's down to each individual person if they believe or not.
    I believe. Others don't, and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just saying what I myself believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Aww :(

As trolls go, he was actually quite fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I was of the same opinion.

If it was Snyper I reckon having many accounts is ok. Let us pray it was Snyper. I liked his pedo Bear Account And Ruu's No need for a second account answer.

Cue the funny face :rolleyes:

Irony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Do you believe in a god that satisfies?
    Do you believe in a god that opens eyes?
    Do you believe in a god that tells you lies?
    Or do you believe in me?

Do you believe in a god that brings you down?
    Do you believe in a god that wears a crown?
    do you believe in a god that makes you bow?
    Or do you believe in me?

:) had to be done.

I am the higher being. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I believe in God but im not religious. I believe God doesnt interfere in this world and that all our actions and what we do are determined by ourselves.

Doesn't really make sense. How can God, a being that is supposed to omnipresent in the most popular sense of the term, not interfere with the world - wouldn't he be the world, be nature, be a part of all of us? And thats without getting into the multitude of problems surrounding the idea of free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

sunstar wrote: »
    because where did it all come from?who decided the sky is blue and the grass is green?why are we here?why have we morals, a conscience?ths questions can go on and on but there are no answers.

Evolution.( The full answer to this would take a lot of explaining by someone qualfiied not me but it is there)

It's the way the light filters through the gases i think.

Chlorophyll.

Google answers all these questions fairly easily.

God is all knowing right? Maybe Google is God.!!!

Meh. Survival or something, i'd rather be here than not tbh no matter what.

Because in order for humanity to survive we need each other for procreation and advancement of ourselves as a whole. Morals and conscience are endoctrinated into us from birth by our peers and have taken thousands of years to develop and they do so through edudcation and enlightenment that enrich they idea that what is good for each one of us that we all play a positive part in each others development.
    Treat thy neighbour as yourself. I'm not religious and i don't belive in god but this single teaching or rather kind of thinking is what forms the basis for all the most basic human rights.
    Your concience. You feel bad about stealing from someone or hurting them because you would feel bad if they hurt or stole from you, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i foretold it, i must be a higher power \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Orizio wrote: »
    Doesn't really make sense. How can God, a being that is supposed to omnipresent in the most popular sense of the term, not interfere with the world - wouldn't he be the world, be nature, be a part of all of us? And thats without getting into the multitude of problems surrounding the idea of free will.

When i say not interfere i mean in the sense that god doesnt take peoples lives or speak to people or take sides in war etc. I guess im trying to say that he doesnt interfere in peoples lives.

i just personally believe that if i or anyone else decides to do something thats its that persons decision rather than god influencing them or say if i died in an accident that it was just purely an accident rather than god causing the accident and killing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I believe in the human need for a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well, lets just hope the Jews aren't right!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes. I pick Thor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not just grass and rocks - every electron and quark in the entirity of the universe.

Eh, no.
    Science cannot explain everything, and there is a limit to the knowledge of mankind.

That's kinda the idea of science, is it not? To figure out what's not already figured out? Of course we don't understand everything. It would be ignorant of us to think so. But we understand an immense amount more, compared to 200 years ago. Remember when the Earth was flat? Oh - that's right. It was never flat. Just a hypothesis that man put out there because they were too lazy to investigate if it was or not.
    One of the reasons why I believe in a higher power is because it accounts for everything that we cannot understand.

Aka, being lazy.
    Another reason I believe in a higher power is because I firmly believe in an afterlife.

Aka, fear of death.
    God cannot be proven to exist or to not exist - it's down to each individual person if they believe or not.

Neither can the Easter Bunny - But I'm sure we can agree that he doesn't exist.
    I believe. Others don't, and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just saying what I myself believe.

Keep saying it to yourself. That's the spirit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Pascal's Gambit all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I remember sitting in the church on my confirmation, Thinking to myself "I'm probably the only person in this place that doesn't believe a word from that priests mouth"

I've been atheist all my life, And nobody has fed ideas into my head, People seem to think that your a 'satanist' for not believing god? Or that you are stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I think Fox Mulder said that in the recent X-Files movie too.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I remember sitting in the church on my confirmation, Thinking to myself "I'm probably the only person in this place that doesn't believe a word from that priests mouth"

I've been atheist all my life, And nobody has fed ideas into my head, People seem to think that your a 'satanist' for not believing god? Or that you are stupid?

Most people would be questioning where the priest's mouth has been!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Did you hear about the dsylexic devil worshipper??? He sold his soul to Santa...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Yeah i don't see how free money and cake comes into these religious events? But i wont argue...Nobody will turn down free cake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I respect their right to believe in god but i do not like the way a lot of atheists look down their noses at people who do believe in god.
    It's difficult to take adults seriously when they have an invisible friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Not just grass and rocks - every electron and quark in the entirity of the universe. Science cannot explain everything, and there is a limit to the knowledge of mankind. One of the reasons why I believe in a higher power is because it accounts for everything that we cannot understand.

Ah here we go. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the big yellow ball in the sky is... Must be a higher power.
    I don't know what those small pricks ( :p ) of light in the night sky are, must be a higher power.
    I don't know I don't know I don't...

If more people had thought like this we'd still be stuck in the stone ages. If you don't understand something, find out! Don't just write it off to some higher power :confused:
    Yes i do believe in God.
    All this isn't by mistake...

Quite surprised by the poll result actually...

What mistake exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Wow, only 30% so far believe. Time to kick the Angelus off the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Being.

T'was no mistake at all, nor was it random, it's taken billions of years for us to get to this point. And we certainly weren't dropped off by some grey haired old man in the sky.

Mena wrote: »
    T'was no mistake at all, nor was it random, it's taken billions of years for us to get to this point. And we certainly weren't dropped off by some grey haired old man in the sky.

Gandalf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Gandalf?

Mithrandir if you will

Advertisement