Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Well then how would the 'god' have gotten where he is? Mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Well then how would the 'god' have gotten where he is? Mistake?

Where is he exactly? I've heard he has been MIA for like forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

np;db*

*No Proof;Don't Believe - it could be the new "tl;dr"!

I can't quite agree with this.
    Like where does all matter come from, if not created? The Big Bang happened due to some "initial condition" - how did that initial condition come about?
    How did God/this "higher power" come about?

If you don't know or say "he/it just always existed", then this God/"higher power" doesn't answer anything and you're really just inventing some random "being" you can't explain anything about for no apparent reason at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

How do you know?
    That can never be proved either.

newsflash ... it has been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

I wonder how different the results of this poll would have been 15 or even 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    np;db*

*No Proof;Don't Believe - it could be the new "tl;dr"!

QFT

It's great how both tl;dr and np;db apply so nicely to this thread :)
    Well, they do for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

GOD - praying, mass, child abuse, paedophelia
    NO GOD - sex, drugs, rock and roll.

No God wins, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Oh, as a Villa fan, there is one God I believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

The idea of God came about thousands of years ago, before there was science proper as a way of explaining phenomena that wasn't understood at the time. Take a look back at religions of the past e.g. greek and roman gods. Storms at sea - must be a god, the sun - must be a god etc. People also had no technology and a higher mortality rate so would subscribe to these gods to help with the harvest or fertility or ask that someone wouldn't be killed in battle.

The ones in power could wield this belief in a higher power over the mass population to control them and keep them in their place, to enforce rules. Most religions for example have agendas and are based on patriarchical teachings. Just have a look at the Bible where it explicitly says men are better than women, well of course it does as that was the status quo of the time, or in islam where men can have more than one wife.

We no longer believe in the gods of roman, greek or celtic eras, yet people still believe in the judao christian god that took its place. Today we have science to explain the world around us and just because we don't understand everything now doesn't mean 'oh it must be god then'. Our knowledge just hasn't taken us that far yet but that's not to say it won't. Just look how far we have come in the past 500 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 devereux08

not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

interestingly enough, most of the people in Central Mental are there because they worship the devil (my sister-psychologist, and neighbour-GP) have told me this. worship god however and your untouchable. explain how this is fair.

Im just waiting for the LHC to put all you gullible fools to shame....mwa hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

interestingly enough, most of the people in Central Mental are there because they worship the devil (my sister-psychologist, and neighbour-GP) have told me this. worship god however and your untouchable. explain how this is fair.

Im just waiting for the LHC to put all you gullible fools to shame....mwa hahahaha

Stories please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Stories please!

stories?

well basically what ive heard is that most of the people there are convinced that they are the devil or that they worship the devil. no massive details im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

stories?

well basically what ive heard is that most of the people there are convinced that they are the devil or that they worship the devil. no massive details im afraid.

There is no god anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

There is no god anymore.

What happened to him? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I personally believe in the Abrahamic God (of Judaism and later Christianity). I believe in Christianity and everything that is attached to it. I'm not going to say that it is easy, but it has certainly changed my life. That phrase might be a bit clichéd but it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I believe in the healing power of chips. :D
    And chocolate ;)

does it count if i believe i am going to be god?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How do you know?
    That can never be proved either.
    There is a whole lot of evidence to support the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

Yes I do believe in a God. I don't think there's a nice old man with a beard living in the sky but I do believe that there is a higher power out there somewhere.

I hate this argument. If you don't believe in an old man with a beard sitting in the clouds then I'm sorry but you don't believe in God. Find a new word for your made up higher power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

10goto20 wrote: »
    If you don't believe in an old man with a beard sitting in the clouds then I'm sorry but you don't believe in God. Find a new word for your made up higher power.
    Yeah, because God's not "made up"; he's totally factual. So factual that there isn't a shred of evidence that he exists. You gotta admire his commitment to his own factual existence, which is totally not made up by men to keep people in their place or anything like that. Nope; he's the complete, 100%, entirely non-fictional real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I hate this argument. If you don't believe in an old man with a beard sitting in the clouds then I'm sorry but you don't believe in God. Find a new word for your made up higher power.
    lol new troll \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, because God's not "made up"; he's totally factual. So factual that there isn't a shred of evidence that he exists. You gotta admire his commitment to his own factual existence, which is totally not made up by men to keep people in their place or anything like that. Nope; he's the complete, 100%, entirely non-fictional real deal.

Did I say he was factual? Just to clarify, I'm 100% athiest and have been since I was about 6 years old, which is about the mental age you need to be to figure out its all BS.

My point was if you don't believe in the God in the classical sense then you can't just make up a new type of God to fit your needs.

Did I say he was factual? Just to clarify, I'm 100% athiest and have been since I was about 6 years old, which is about the mental age you need to be to figure out its all BS.

My point was if you don't believe in the God in the classical sense then you can't just make up a new type of God to fit your needs.
    wai?

Sure there is.
    There's a whole lot of evidence to prove that a God exists also.

ok now i like you, but i have to ask...wtf?? what evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't believe in an old man sitting in the clouds because that is clearly not the image of God that is put forward in the Bible. God is everywhere and in everything, God is a spirit nature, not a physical human being. However, it is true that God can manifest Himself in various forms including through the Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit which Christians feel to this day. So no, rather you should redefine what you think Christians believe God to be really.

HE JUST CHANGED MY AVATAR FROM HOLLY VALANCE TO A PIC OF HIS FACE!

Hard Proof he exists. Now desist from your questioning, repent and rejoice or you will suffer eternal damnation in the fiery pits OF HELLLLLLLLLL!
    wow :eek:

i'm still not convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I believe in god but not religion.

Advertisement