Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

Jakkass wrote: »
    I don't believe in an old man sitting in the clouds because that is clearly not the image of God that is put forward in the Bible. God is everywhere and in everything, God is a spirit nature, not a physical human being. However, it is true that God can manifest Himself in various forms including through the Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit which Christians feel to this day. So no, rather you should redefine what you think Christians believe God to be really.

Yes OK fair enough I'm not one for telling you what your beliefs are. I think its very convenient though that God can manifest himself in whatever way suits whichever argument comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

If it was Snyper I reckon having many accounts is ok. Let us pray it was Snyper. I liked his pedo Bear Account And Ruu's No need for a second account answer.

Cue the funny face :rolleyes:

Irony?

I was joking on the snyper thing Jesus Loves. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

There's a whole lot of evidence to prove that a God exists also.

Billions of people around the World have a faith in a higher power.
    Since the dawning of age, inhabitants of this Earth have believed in a higher power, whether it was worshiping the Sun or a farmyard animal ,there was always at least some recognition that life as we no it 'didn't just happen'.
    None of that is evidence. People's beliefs are not evidence of anything; it doesn't matter how many people share those beliefs.

There was a time when millions of people believed the world was flat; did that constitute evidence for a flat Earth?

EDIT: 62% of voters on this poll believe that a God does not exist; is that evidence for the non-existence of a God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

djpbarry wrote: »
    EDIT: 62% of voters on this poll believe that a God does not exist; is that evidence for the non-existence of a God?

No of course not.

There are rational indications concerning God though, if you look to 1) the archaeology being found of Biblical sites in the State of Israel, 2) the historical links between Biblical figures and historical sources, 3) The dating and the authenticity of the Biblical account, 4) the sophistication of the world around us.

There are various books of apologetics you can read:
    I'd reccommend, Miracles - C.S Lewis, Mere Christianity - C.S Lewis, and The Case for Faith - Lee Strobel for a start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Can there not be one who is even more ahead of you?
    Step on it! Maybe we can catch them in my Atari Jaguar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Jakkass wrote: »
    No of course not.

There are rational indications concerning God though, if you look to 1) the archaeology being found of Biblical sites in the State of Israel, 2) the historical links between Biblical figures and historical sources, 3) The dating and the authenticity of the Biblical account, 4) the sophistication of the world around us.

There are various books of apologetics you can read:
    I'd reccommend, Miracles - C.S Lewis, Mere Christianity - C.S Lewis, and The Case for Faith - Lee Strobel for a start.

i wouldn't consider accounts of miracles authentic. nor would i consider the dating in any way accurate. what was it, christians added up the generations of all the people from adam and eve up and came to the conclusion that the world was roughly 5,000 years old? me bollix is that authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

There is also no evidence to suggest that he does not exist.
    What do you mean "also no evidence to suggest he does not exist"? Did you not just say that there was evidence to prove that he exists? You're flip flopping sonny. Nobody likes a flip flopper.

The big bang, or whatever you lot decided happened to create life & being can never be proven either.
    LOL. Science has proved a lot of things wrong over time. you just keep moving the goal posts and we'll just keep proving you wrong. The Big bang has been proven. But thats ok, because God created the big bang didn't he? Oh and apparently God created evolution too. The non existence of something which keeps changing to suit your arguments can never be proven.

That doesn't make any sense; how does one provide evidence for something that does not exist?

For example, in a court, the prosecution puts forward evidence to show that the defendant is guilty, not the other way 'round. If there is no evidence, then the court will conclude that the defendant is not guilty.

There is no evidence to suggest that a God DOES exist; the logical conclusion is that he does not exist.
    The big bang, or whatever you lot decided happened to create life & being can never be proven either.
    But there is a whole lot of evidence to support the theory. Given the weight of evidence, it seems far more logical to me to accept the Big Bang theory than to accept a theory for which there is no evidence, i.e. the existence of a God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I believe in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭and2

I am nt a relious man BUT superman if your up there HEEEELPP!!!!!

10goto20 wrote: »
    The Big bang has been proven.
    No, it has not; nobody can say with 100% certainty that they know how the universe was created. There is however a large body of evidence to support the Big Bang theory, but we're still a very long way from fully understanding the intricacies of the universe’s creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Zillah wrote: »
    God: An imaginary friend for grown ups.
    Brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Yes I do believe in a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

dsmythy knows his stuff...king among men

Thou shalt not have false kings before me.

more of a cop out from decent debate tbh.

djpbarry wrote: »
    No, it has not; nobody can say with 100% certainty that they know how the universe was created. There is however a large body of evidence to support the Big Bang theory, but we're still a very long way from fully understanding the intricacies of the universe’s creation.
    Well I would agree the evidence is disjointed and messy but they're working on the theory of everything as we speak which will piece everything together....and open up many more new questions which religious people will latch onto again as proof of God.

• Advertisement

What i should have said is that by simply looking around you it should be evidence enough (it is to me) that our existence didn't happen because 2 large rocks hit off each other in Space gazillions of years ago.

QED tbh.

faith is not a valid replacement for lack of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hyungsup

I do not believe in christianity.

I do acknowedge that you can meet really kind people in church who practice christianity but somehow I feel that they are ignorant like the most ethiests who goes to youtube or writing a book saying that god doesn't exist.

It is much easier to prove that some thing exists than saying that something doesn't exist.

Everybody should acknowedge that we know so little about this universe and there could be something wider than the universe.
    Remember when people on earth believed that Earth was flat? We can do some calculations and experiment saying that the earth is round but the best proof would be to shoot up a satelite and take a picture of earth.

So I believe that there is still a chance that there is a supreme being but I believe that there is no god.

Believing and Knowing are very different things.

You people "Believe" that God is there so that means that God might not exist.

If you "Know" that God is up in heaven, then you should give us some proof like how the scientists took a picture of earth to prove that earth is round or other complex methods.

Just because a great scientists such as Sir Issac Newton didn't believe evolutionism (because I guess he was born before that theory was made) doesn't mean that evolutionism is wrong.

There was a small debate with two scientist about teaching creationism in school in UK

Evidence are facts that cannot be disputed.
    What i should have said is that by simply looking around you it should be evidence enough (it is to me) that our existence didn't happen because 2 large rocks hit off each other in Space gazillions of years ago.
    By your own definition, that is not evidence. That the world around me exists is an indisputable fact; that it was created by an invisible man in the sky most certainly is not.

Of course it is.
    I'd rather have faith & live my life than search for answers to the unanswerable.
    The phrase your looking for is ignorance is bliss.

Of course it is.
    I'd rather have faith & live my life than search for answers to the unanswerable.
    i meant your lack of understanding, not the worlds lack of understanding.

besides, we (the 62%) understand quite a lot. we don't have all the answers, but we have some solid stuff to stand on.

you (the 27%) can't give us anything solid or factual. you just want/need to believe in something for many different reasons, but generally reasons along the lines of not liking the idea of nothing after death (do dogs go to heaven?), or not understanding how the world is the way it is (most of which is explained factually back for millions of years, before the days of the bibles claims at "day 1") etc.

I acknowledged that. I used the word evidence in the wrong context.
    I should have used the word opinion, which after all is the basis of Philosophy.

This debate has been going on for years and it will continue...
    At the end of the day it's a matter of choice, opinion and preference.
    We have 70 odd years to make up our mind, and i for one have made up mine.

I almost feel dirty for getting involved in a Theological discussion in AH.
    This is where I disagree with most religious people. You do not have the right to express your opinion of something which is based on ignorance and lies. You certainly don't have the right to be spreading your ignorance in our schools or even our public forums. I'm sure you have a problem with Islamic fanatics spreading their lies and ignorance, well I don't see why Christians should be any different.

To borrow from the God Delusion: We are all athiests, some of us just go one God further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Im in there with the believers.

And Im not happy clappy - but if I believe that I have free will and a moral code to live by thats ok.

Fairly positive stuff all around and no patronising atheists in the next life is just an added bonus. God works in mysterious ways.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

hyungsup wrote: »
    I do not believe in christianity.

I do acknowedge that you can meet really kind people in church who practice christianity but somehow I feel that they are ignorant like the most ethiests who goes to youtube or writing a book saying that god doesn't exist.

How exactly does creating content about a viewpoint make one ignorant?

Advertisement