Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

In that case you have no right to express your ignorance of Theology either.
    you cannot be ignorant to something which is not fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

10goto20 wrote: »
    This is where I disagree with most religious people. You do not have the right to express your opinion of something which is based on ignorance and lies. You certainly don't have the right to be spreading your ignorance in our schools or even our public forums. I'm sure you have a problem with Islamic fanatics spreading their lies and ignorance, well I don't see why Christians should be any different.

To borrow from the God Delusion: We are all athiests, some of us just go one God further.
    I have always wondered where Richard Dawkins got the book title from. It should be called" My Hang Ups about God -and why that I didnt get to hang out withcool people in the 60s" - he didnt get to hand out with cool people because he was a NERD.

Whats the sequel going to be " My Mommy and Daddy had Sex EEEEWWWWW"

Get over it Dick.Now if there wasnt a God how come he has such an appropriate name:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

This topic reminds me of the "do you play guitar?" one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Dammit, i'm feeding trolls again. :mad:

nah theyre just mini demons sent to annoy you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Where is the Karl Hungus option in the poll?!

Or the crossfit option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I acknowledged that. I used the word evidence in the wrong context.
    I should have used the word opinion, which after all is the basis of Philosophy.

This debate has been going on for years and it will continue...
    At the end of the day it's a matter of choice, opinion and preference.
    We have 70 odd years to make up our mind, and i for one have made up mine.
    Fair enough.
    I almost feel dirty for getting involved in a Theological discussion in AH.
    Amen to that.
    You do not have the right to express your opinion of something which is based on ignorance and lies.
    Ever hear of free speach? We've had it for quite a while in this country; perhaps you didn't get the memo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Do you? One great thing of good? An essence of great being?

Just a simple question about something more than can be imagined.

Do you believe in a God?

Yes I do..me!:D Seriously no I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

djpbarry wrote: »
    Fair enough.
    Amen to that.
    Ever hear of free speach? We've had it for quite a while in this country; perhaps you didn't get the memo?
    I'll give you an example. The scientist who told everyone that MMR causes autism is now in prison because they found out it was all lies. But of course religion is different, you can say and do what you want. You can even use it to justify going to war.

Mirror wrote: »
    reported.

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I think im God, I was praying to God last night and I realised I was talking to myself!

Nah I don't believe in all this junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Where is the Karl Hungus option in the poll?

Boggle... :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No, oddly enough. :D

No, it has not; nobody can say with 100% certainty that they know how the universe was created. There is however a large body of evidence to support the Big Bang theory, but we're still a very long way from fully understanding the intricacies of the universe’s creation.
    WE are still a long way from proving that Chocolate has aphrodisiac qualities but it works.

Scientists can tell how an erection happens but cannot define beauty and attractiveness in the way people are attracted to one another. But it happens.

Scientists try to subsitute what they see with their own eyes with rationality.

God had to create OCD to account for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

this is the wrong question.

It should have been; "Is there a god ?". Anyone who answers "yes" or "no" is a closed minded fool.

vinylmesh wrote: »

It should have been; "Is there a god ?". Anyone who answers "yes" or "no" is a closed minded fool.

In fact, why don't we just rename the thread to "agnostics are great".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why would you replace the correct question with one that you freely admit is impossible to answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

It's not open minded to not believe in God in my opinion.

To say God does not exist in some ways is more stupid than to say God does exist.

There aren't really any grounds to disprove a God exists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

It looks to me like the OP asked the right question. Belief in something higher. A God. Not the RC God or any particular God.

I have a belief in something more but I cannot define it. Perhaps God is love and Good. Perhaps there is an esence that exists that ties it all together.

I don't have the answers, just questions but I like having the questions as I get to think about it. Puzzles with answers are just not as interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'll give you an example. The scientist who told everyone that MMR causes autism is now in prison because they found out it was all lies.
    Are you referring to Andrew Wakefield? As far as I am aware, he did not say that MMR causes autism and he is not in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There is also no evidence to suggest that he does not exist.
    The big bang, or whatever you lot decided happened to create life & being can never be proven either.
    It means what it means Piggy... The existence of a God has not been disproved.

Way to ignore the issue of 'the burden of proof', ie. you provide evidence for the claim, and people attempt to refute it. It doesn't work that everyone else attempts to disprove the claim and if they can't, then it must be true.
    It's not open minded to not believe in God in my opinion.

To say God does not exist in some ways is more stupid than to say God does exist.

There aren't really any grounds to disprove a God exists.

*face palm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Coz the word believe is a very strong, very absolute word that doesn't apply either way for most people. I'd say the majority of religious people don't truly believe in god, rather they think it's very very likely one exists.

There is something greater than ourselves;

Making the world a better place for the next generation. Most people (however small their contribution) take place in this project, even if it's something tiny like ranting about politics or editing a wikipedia article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunstar

a few years ago a woman i know had a tumor, and was due to get operated on.she went to a healer who lay his hands on the tumor.when she went beck to the hospital the tumor was gone.the doctors could give no medical explanation for this whatsoever.this healer regulary gets visions of god and has preformed miracles.

someone try explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

There's no answer, just more questions... No point in arguing either side but its fun to watch :)

Are you referring to Andrew Wakefield? As far as I am aware, he did not say that MMR causes autism and he is not in prison.

Another example of unethical scientists scamming.Publishing unchecked articles in supposedly rigorously checked scientific journals.

He should be in jail for the scam he pulled and the damage he caused to people and the health children but the scientific community is self policing and protects its own.

I will guess you will tell us now theres no evidence. Anther scientific cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

CDfm wrote: »
    Another example of unethical scientists scamming.Publishing unchecked articles in supposedly rigorously checked scientific journals.

He should be in jail for the scam he pulled and the damage he caused to people and the health children but the scientific community is self policing and protects its own.

I will guess you will tell us now theres no evidence. Anther scientific cover up.
    Don't ya just HATE science!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont believe

Religion is no longer needed in society imo, only use now is to control large populations easier, science can explain many things now that couldnt have been explained when the modern forms of religion were born, we no longer need a "because God did it" answer to things, we can scientifically figure things out

the world is round, the sun does not set into the sea, Earth orbits the sun, Evolution etc....

religion was a convenient answer to difficult questions

now it is a convenient way to keep people under control and also to go to war

there is a saying that always makes me giggle

"Going to war over religion is kinda like having a fight over who's imaginary friend is better"

good tax free business though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

dlofnep wrote: »
    Neither can the Easter Bunny - But I'm sure we can agree that he doesn't exist.

Keep saying it to yourself. That's the spirit!

Oh noes! I'm being ridiculed on the internet!! Surely God cannot exist, for he would not allow such cruelty! :eek:

Advertisement