Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in A God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

aidan24326 wrote: »
    There is? I think you might be getting a bit confused about what 'evidence' actually is.

Maybe it did 'just happen' though? That's what the current evidence seems to indicate.

Dear god/allah/thor/zeus, this thread is just getting silly now. What in the name of all the gods have Dawkins and Jade Goody got in common?

One is an airhead z-list celebrity, the other is a first-rate scientist who has apparently got up people's noses now because he's been brave enough to come out and call a spade a spade.

Open minded ok - I can have a go.

Then that would mean that I was created by God while you on the....other hand....are decended from apes?

I can live wth that -Im not speciest:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't like religion - in my opinion, if anything, countless wars are because of religion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In terms of deriving Comfort from my beliefs, sure, it gives me a certain feeling of security & warmth i suppose.
    See what I can't comprehend about this is why does the belief that something unexplainable created the universe give you security and warmth, while the fact that the universe is unexplainable doesn't?
    That there is a meaning to life, that maybe this is just a waiting room of sorts.
    See personally, living a meaningless life, dying and simply ceasing to exist doesn't get me down at all. I just like to make the best of life while I'm still here. It's probably just down to different outlooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunstar

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    -Initial misdiagnosis
    -Placebo
    -Coincidence
    -Doctors unfamiliar with such rapid healing, despite the fact it could be medically possible

And if this is true, why isn't it used instead of medicine? Why hasn't it happened thousands of times? Why do some people get healed miraculously, whereas millions more die in horrific conditions of war and poverty every day? Why has a miracle never been properly scientifically documented?

how could she possibly have been a placebo??that wouldnt make any sense at all do you even know what a placebo is?
    there was no misdiagnosis..and doctors unfamiliar with such rapid healing is total BS. tumors dont just degenerate to nothing.

miracles cannot be scientifically documented because no one can explain why or how they happen.
    as for why some are healed and millions suffer..i also would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

sunstar wrote: »
    how could she possibly have been a placebo??that wouldnt make any sense at all do you even know what a placebo is?
    there was no misdiagnosis..and doctors unfamiliar with such rapid healing is total BS. tumors dont just degenerate to nothing.

miracles cannot be scientifically documented because no one can explain why or how they happen.

You want to know how it happened? Here's how: It never did. Ever. Prove me wrong?

What you have here is simply manipulation to further a cause.

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    You want to know how it happened? Here's how: It never did. Ever. Prove me wrong?

What you have here is simply manipulation to further a cause.

sorry i dont feel the need to prove you wrong because i know it did happen.but i cant explain why or how or who caused it to happen.and i am not manipulating anything.i just told a true story which for me makes it hard for me to beleive that outside our little bubble of life there is nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

My grandmother would put that down to being a bad Catholic. So I guess there's lots of bad/non Catholics out there who must feel the wrath of God (he can be a right evil bastard when he wants to be :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

sorry i dont feel the need to prove you wrong because i know it did happen.but i cant explain why or how or who caused it to happen.and i am not manipulating anything.i just told a true story which for me makes it hard for me to beleive that outside our little bubble of life there is nothing else.

So we're simply to take your word for it, you say it's so, so it must be so?

Riiiiight.

As I said, it did not happen. Feel free to prove me wrong, but we both know you can't, so lets stick to facts and not fantasy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

10goto20 wrote: »
    My grandmother would put that down to being a bad Catholic. So I guess there's lots of bad/non Catholics out there who must feel the wrath of God (he can be a right evil bastard when he wants to be :D)
    Quite close- knows your stuff does your Granny.

REmember Adam and Eve- well Eve was the strong willed brazen huzzey responsible for having them and their descendants barred from the garden OF Eden.

So man gets free will and is responsible for his own destiny as an individual and a race.

Yep and you are right God can be a tad moody at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I believe in THE god. Not any of your pansy ass gods. I'm not telling you anything about my god though. And if you don't believe in my god I'm gonna call an almighty jihad on all your asses.

So we're simply to take your word for it, you say it's so, so it must be so?

Riiiiight.

As I said, it did not happen. Feel free to prove me wrong, but we both know you can't, so lets stick to facts and not fantasy...

well im hardly gonna make the story up im sorry but thats just pathethic.im just saying that that one story influences my beliefs.if you knew a person who it happened to also it would muddle up your beliefs too no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No, I thought about some time ago, and came to the conclusion that
    it's all a load of bollocks tbh. Does mah plant get into heaven??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

yes i beleive in god.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CDfm wrote: »
    What I am saying is that whatever Wakefields motivation was the scientific community has done a cover-up.
    I see; what exactly have they covered up?
    I had forgoten about Wakefield until I read your post and it makes a point on how unethical scientists can be.
    Yes, of course, all scientists are the same. And, of course, all catholic priests are paedophiles :rolleyes:.
    Richard Dawkins and Jade Goody are in the same game.
    I can only say one thing to that.
    Well people who believe in God outlive atheists for one.
    Do they?
    he only thing that pisses me off about atheists is that although 62% voted no, its likely that the majority would use a Church to get married.
    I doubt that very much.
    Surely, if it was a miracle, there must be some record of it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

stevoman wrote: »
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
    As for Jesus' greatest trick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Pascals Wager: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Worst argument for anything, ever. Just which god are you going to choose to believe in? There are hundreds out there... What if you chose wrong?

/sigh

I think you both miss the point of, and, fail to understand the 'wager'.

Did you even read the whole wikipedia article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10goto20

Sean_K wrote: »
    I think you both miss the point of, and, fail to understand the 'wager'.

Did you even read the whole wikipedia article?
    You can't pretend to believe....God knows everything remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But which god is the right one for me?

Allah
    Apollo
    Bris
    Buddah
    Celestial Teapot
    Cthulhu
    Dagda
    Dagon
    Erkutu
    Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Funjin
    God (how original)
    Gwydion
    Hades
    Hellios
    Jesus
    Jupiter
    Mars
    Neptune
    Primus
    Raidan
    Raijin
    Satan
    Shenlong
    Shinnok
    Thor
    Unicron
    Vishnu
    Xenu
    Yaweh
    Zeus

etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jesus is a part of YHWH in Christian understanding. :)

Mind you, what do you mean which one? There is only one and there has only ever been one, unless your question is which concept of god/s is your favourite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I believe in everything. If something can't be proved to not exist, then how can we say for definite that it doesn't exist?

I am a scientist, btw, and I believe that to be a good scientist, you can't have a closed mind about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Jakkass wrote: »
    Mind you, what do you mean which one? There is only one and there has only ever been one, unless your question is which concept of god/s is your favourite?

Em, refer to the following list for Polytheism belief structures (all pre-dating Christianity of course):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I believe in everything. If something can't be proved to not exist, then how can we say for definite that it doesn't exist?

I am a scientist, btw, and I believe that to be a good scientist, you can't have a closed mind about anything.

I know it's a cliche, but scientists should really be in the habit of applying Occam's Razor to what they observe.

I would believe in anything once it has been proven to exist, and as such I am open to believing in anything, however I will not put faith in idle speculation and myth and 'believe' in it. If a god were proven to exist, I would no doubt believe, however I am certain that will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Jakkass wrote: »
      Jesus is a part of *YHWH in Christian understanding. :)

Kay, don't get that at all*
      For all I know, this pipe/redirection key on my keyboard qualifies as a sort of god to me:D
      I love the irony attached with some religious folk believing deep down their belief is "the one true religion, so all others are false ".

One thing that annoys me about Religion is the absolute stance, regardless of contradiction.
      Science at least operates on the presumption that a hypothesis is never absolute given a change
      in evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Galvasean wrote: »

Allah
      Apollo
      Bris
      Buddah
      Cthulhu
      Dagda
      Dagon
      Erkutu
      Flying Spaghetti Monster
      Funjin
      God (how original)
      Gwydion
      Hades
      Hellios
      Jesus
      Jupiter
      Mars
      Neptune
      Primus
      Raidan
      Raijin
      Satan
      Shenlong
      Shinnok
      Thor
      Unicron
      Vishnu
      Xenu
      Yaweh
      Zeus

etc. etc. etc.

The real one, of course - not those false, made up chaps. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I call God whatever created and maintains the universe. Don't know what God is but I know for sure it's not a big bearded king sitting on a cloud giving out to people for nicking his apples and having protected sex outside of marriage..

Technically I believe in a God so and consider myself all religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Allah
      Apollo
      Bris
      Buddah
      Cthulhu
      Dagda
      Dagon
      Erkutu
      Flying Spaghetti Monster
      Funjin
      God (how original)
      Gwydion
      Hades
      Hellios
      Jesus
      Jupiter
      Mars
      Neptune
      Primus
      Raidan
      Raijin
      Satan
      Shenlong
      Shinnok
      Thor
      Unicron
      Vishnu
      Xenu
      Yaweh
      Zeus

etc. etc. etc.

The one from Stargate :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I believe in everything.
      I believe that to be a good scientist, you can't have a closed mind about anything.
      Somebody's brain just fell out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Allah
      Apollo
      Bris
      Buddah
      Cthulhu
      Dagda
      Dagon
      Erkutu
      Flying Spaghetti Monster
      Funjin
      God (how original)
      Gwydion
      Hades
      Hellios
      Jesus
      Jupiter
      Mars
      Neptune
      Primus
      Raidan
      Raijin
      Satan
      Shenlong
      Shinnok
      Thor
      Unicron
      Vishnu
      Xenu
      Yaweh
      Zeus

etc. etc. etc.

I believe the Celestial Teapot deserves a mention! I demand you edit that list! :D

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

C'thun tbh.

Advertisement