Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best book or website to learn about caring for a cat / kitten

Options
  • 17-09-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hello,

My aunt is thinking about getting a kitten but is a bit unsure how much of a commitment it would involve! Can anyone please recommend a website (preferably) or a book that outlines how to care for a kitten / full-grown cat?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kitcatz

Hi Fiona, The only cat book I have is 'Cats for Dummies'. (You know the ... for Dummies range) I think it's very good, it has a lot of information, tips, advice etc about everything really. There could be more books out there that other people might reccommend though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You may be better off getting two kittens, they can keep each other company and play with each other etc. Obviously indoors is the safest place for them.

Kittenadoption.ie has lots of info on cat care.
    RSPCA have a small book on basic kitten care.

Kittens are very easy really, as long as they have quality food and good vet care and some fun toys (check out zooplus.ie for cat scratchers etc).

They are so easy going and usually just fall asleep when you are out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The one thing I would stress is giving the cat something to scratch. Sisal rope wrapped around a stand, or around a plank and laid flat on the floor - that's popular, as is a piece of carpet on some sort of scratching stand.

Your cat will 100% without fail absolutely positively scratch things inside your house. It's as natural as a dog wagging its tail. Don't be fooled into thinking you can train them out of it if they're indoors-only cats - reverse that decision before you realise you can't reverse the damage to your furniture.

I have a couch made from what I can only describe as cat-proof fabric. It doesn't show any damage, and when mine were kittens they ragged the bejesus out of it. I've since gotten a cat-tree (which I got second-hand for close to nothing, as opposed to spending big bucks on one) and they exclusively rag the cat tree now.

I live with someone who made the argument that the cats can't possibly know the difference between the arms of the couch and the cat tree, QED don't let them scratch anything at all. Well they seem to know what they're allowed to scratch, and the sisal rope obviously performs better as a scratching post than the couch does, so they go for that every time now.

Advertisement