Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temp. Insurance for UK to Ireland

Options
  • 17-09-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads, quick question.

I may be going to wales on saturday to collect a vehicle that I might be buying. The plan is: Fly over, bus, collect, drive back via Fishguard-Rosslare. Thing is I presume I need temporary insurace to bring it back, I know for bringing our campervan back from germany we got 2 weeks registration(special plates) and insurace for just a few euro. Its Tax Exempt in the UK, so only need insurance for that part, but is there any specific procedure for bringing it in with the Irish system?

Any info apreciated,
    Lethal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Just phone your insurance broker in Ireland when you have the reg. of the car and get in Insured on a normal Irish (classic?) policy. Most policies will cover you for driving in the UK.
    As regards tax, technically it will need a tax disk even if tax exempt. If theres not one on the car I would just take a chance. Would be a very pedantic plod to nick you for this. When you re register it here, make sure you tell your insurance co. of the change of reg. straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rippy wrote: »
    Just phone your insurance broker in Ireland when you have the reg. of the car and get in Insured on a normal Irish (classic?) policy. Most policies will cover you for driving in the UK.
    As regards tax, technically it will need a tax disk even if tax exempt. If theres not one on the car I would just take a chance. Would be a very pedantic plod to nick you for this. When you re register it here, make sure you tell your insurance co. of the change of reg. straight away.

Yeah, good guess, its a classic alright. Thing is I dont want to insure it for a year, and classic insurance seems to be a bit of a pain. Theres a years work to be done on it before I intend to use it so all I need is to move it up to my garage. Any short term insurance I can get?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

you could try round the brokers , but best bet would probably be to take out a classic policy, get it home then cancel the policy for a partial refund. Should get a good chunk of your dosh back.

Advertisement