Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Today Coan Philipi Week 5

Deadlift (80%): 3x3 @ 212.5 kg
    Speed deadlift (65%): 3x3 @ 172.5 kg (120 sec rest b/w sets)
    Power shrugs (60% of current): 3x5 @ 145 kg
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 3x5 100kg
    Bent over row: 3x5 70kg
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 3x5 82kg
    Arched back good morning: 3x5 70kg

De-load my sweaty underpants!

This was arguably harder than 237.5 for 2 last week. The third heavy set was a soul destroyer. My lower back is absolutely fried.

Took it easy on the accessory stuff.

Skipped my Wednesday workout this week because I was at a wedding on Tuesday and didn't sober up until yesterday.

:(

I took this week off from training by and large to recover a bit. Gonna get back at it next week, but dreading it now after seeing your little write up!! At least the circuit's are over now and it's just straight sets.

Did you drop back the assistance work weights at all? I was thinking of just holding them the same as last week since they're 3x5, or maybe adding 5kg to the SLDL and 2.5 to BO Rows and GMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Hanley wrote: »
    :(

I took this week off from training by and large to recover a bit. Gonna get back at it next week, but dreading it now after seeing your little write up!! At least the circuit's are over now and it's just straight sets.

Did you drop back the assistance work weights at all? I was thinking of just holding them the same as last week since they're 3x5, or maybe adding 5kg to the SLDL and 2.5 to BO Rows and GMs.

The speed deadlift and circuits got easier yeah but those top 3 sets were brutal.

I dropped back the weight on the lower body accessory stuff because my lower back was completely obliterated and there was nothing to be gained from pushing it further!

Tonight 5/3/1 Squat C9W2

80% 147.5 x 3
    85% 157.5 x 3
    90% 165 x 8 (1 rep PR from fattest kev, 2 rep PR from pre-nationals...stoked)

Accessory squats:
    155kg
    7 sets of 3

Really delighted with that squatting. I really feel this extra accessory stuff I'm trying to put together as some sort of supplementary program to 5/3/1 is working.

Here's my theory though it is subject to change as it progresses and I tweak it.

I don't personally feel that 5/3/1 on it's own followed by ab work or light hypertrophy squatting is enough to really push up your lifts in the long term for the beginner and intermediate lifter. I just think it's a little light on intensity and volume. I think it's become an internet sensation based on Jim's profile and the fact that many lifters are going to benefit from simply lifting in a progressive organised program. Just to be clear, I'm not criticising Jim's idea, I'm sticking with it long term, I'm just toying with an idea I have about supplementing it.

What I'm doing is cycling volume based & intensity based accessory squatting as a supplement to my 5/3/1 set. I've picked two weights (180kg & 150kg) that fall at either side of the range covered by the top set of my 5/3/1 in the current cycle. Does that make sense? Basically 150kg is lighter than any top set weight in my current cycle and 180kg is heavier.

In one week following my 5/3/1 set I took 9 triples with the 150kg (volume but not balls to the wall volume a la Smolov). The next week I follow my 5/3/1 set with 7 singles with 180kg (intensity but not balls to the wall intensity a la Westside).

The following 2 weeks I add 5kg to each and drop the number of sets by 2. So 7 triples with 155kg and the following week 5 singles with 185kg.

The following 2 weeks I add another 5kg and do 5 triples with 160kg and 3 singles with 190kg.

This is one accessory cycle, it corresponds to 2 5/3/1 cycles (ie 6 squat workouts). In my head you would only deload every second cycle not every cycle so these are 6 consecutive workouts.

You then reset to the first weeks sets and reps scheme (9 triples, 7 singles) but you add 5 kg to these starting weights, this is a crucial junction and this may be revised down to 2.5kg, I think 5kg is better and more likely but it's the area I have the greatest doubt over.

There would be no other accessory work (abs, leg presses etc) with this. The workouts so far have lasted exactly an hour including warmups, 5/3/1 and accessory. I'm undecided on rest periods between sets. I've been taking an approach of allowing 2-3 minutes so I'm recovered but not 100%.

In my head this would last for an 18 or 24 week block by the end of which you would most likely need to change things up but I'll revise it as I go. So far the benefits I'm feeling after just 3 weeks are tangible. Having a relatively heavy bar on your back for a solid hour is conditioning me to become better at having a bar on my back, I think this is huge for a beginner/intermediate. I'm not sold on working on the individual muscles involved in the squat.

The progression here might change or I might overtrain but I'm going to follow this and see where it takes me. Hopefully deep, deep into PR country.

That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. Put it into percentage terms of your current expected max there for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i might actually follow that idea in a while. seems good! i like the idea of singles, thats one thing i fear when testing my squat max tbh, not enough near maximal weights

That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. Put it into percentage terms of your current expected max there for me :)

I used 150 and 180 as they are nice round numbers but it's in or around 70% for the triples and 85% for the singles to start off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

How's Wifepants doing Kev?

How's Wifepants doing Kev?

Great! In the 2nd trimester now man so over the unannounced projectile vomiting!

As an aside to the little bundle of joy arriving we might be moving to more spacious living quarters soon. The place we have in mind has an awesome shed that's not used for anything so if it happens I'll be setting up a garage gym. Should be awesome.

Thurs 5/11/09 Bench & MP C9W2 (skipped wave 1 due to drunkenness)

Bench
    80% 105 x 3
    85% 112.5 x 3
    90% 120 x 4 Dodgy lift-off

Military Press
    80% 57.5 x3
    85% 62.5 x 3
    90% 65 x 9

Defranco shoulders:
    20kg plate & 9kg DB's
    3 circuits

Vid of presses:

Fr 06/11/09 Coan Week 6

Deadlift (85%): 1x2 @ 225 kg
    Speed deadlift (70%): 3x3 @ 185 kg (120 sec rest b/w sets)
    Power shrugs (65% of current): 3x5 @ 155 kg
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 3x5 130kg
    Bent over row: 3x5 80kg
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 3x5 87.5kg
    Arched back good morning: 3x5 100kg

That was handy enough.

• Advertisement

Squat 5/3/1 C9W3

75% 137.5 x 5
    85% 157.5 x 3
    95% 175 x 6 Rep and weight PR

Assistance squats

195 x 1. By mistake, put too much weight on the bar. Was easy though ;) (not really)
    185 x 4 singles. This was meant to be 5 singles but the 195 single obviously counts.

Ab wheel
    50 reps

Wendler conference was great. He actually complimented my squat and deadlift technique in the practical. I'm not sure exactly what he said, I was too busy climaxing.

I think I was inspired by it all tonight. Squats felt really natural, instinctive. Hadn't felt like that since pre-weight loss really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

great squatting, I can see why you were inspired, I think the word "perfect" was mentioned. Although he did cringe when you cracked into place on that first rep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

cracked into place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

He actually complimented my squat and deadlift technique in the practical.

"What can I say there man, that's ****in perfect!!"

Was it just me or did the practical weights get very heavy very fast?? Hopping up after sitting in the cold for about 5 hours and pulling 100kgs+ ?I would have tore my hamstrings :D

cracked into place?

When he was looking at my squat I just had 60kg on the bar and sunk into the first rep, I'd been sitting on one of IP's finest chairs/interrogation devices all day so was a bit stiff.

Basically both my ankles, knee's, hips and possibly bottom 5 vertebrae made this crunching sound at the bottom of the squat. Everyone in the room just went "Ooooooooooooh".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Squat 5/3/1 C9W3

75% 137.5 x 5
    85% 157.5 x 3
    95% 175 x 6 Rep and weight PR

Assistance squats

195 x 1. By mistake, put too much weight on the bar. Was easy though ;) (not really)
    185 x 4 singles. This was meant to be 5 singles but the 195 single obviously counts.

Have you had to reset anything yet on your 531? After 9 cycles your top set on the squat seems pretty high rep-wise!

I guess that when you take 10% off your max and go up in 5kg each cycle it will take you longer to get back to PR levels that someone like myself taking off 10% and going up in 5kgs.

My 5th and next cycle will see me entering squat PR territory (hopefully). Have you already gotten there, maxed up and reset?

BossArky wrote: »
    Have you had to reset anything yet on your 531? After 9 cycles your top set on the squat seems pretty high rep-wise!

I guess that when you take 10% off your max and go up in 5kg each cycle it will take you longer to get back to PR levels that someone like myself taking off 10% and going up in 5kgs.

My 5th and next cycle will see me entering squat PR territory (hopefully). Have you already gotten there, maxed up and reset?

Yep I have reset. When I lost the weight I started to find the weights really heavy and missed a few military presses etc. There's no way to preserve strength (apart from maybe the deadlift) when you lose that kind of weight so I reset my max to Cycle 2 levels, ie 5kg heavier than my initial on lower, 2.5kg upper. It was almost like starting over.

This has worked great because it allowed me to compare the reps I was hitting after each session to what I hit back at the start. Initially I was weaker in everything but the deadlift. Things have swung back around now that I'm eating and not killing myself with conditioning. I'm still much lighter but I'm stronger. Body-weight isn't really going up either. It rebounded from 220lbs to about 223lbs and now it can be anywhere between 221lbs and 226lbs in the mornings.

I'm not too bothered about my weight really as the next while is about getting stronger, there will probably be some mass gains too. If the mass pushes me up to a point where I can't get below 100kg without cutting a stupid amount then so be it. Next summer I'll probably go through a big conditioning push again so it's all swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

hi kevpants newbie question coming you're way..Were you on a westside template before this and was there a reason you moved to 531 in lieu of westside?Was it a case of your lifts not going up anymore or did you just want to mix things up?

Remmy wrote: »
    hi kevpants newbie question coming you're way..Were you on a westside template before this and was there a reason you moved to 531 in lieu of westside?Was it a case of your lifts not going up anymore or did you just want to mix things up?

I got ired/injured at the end of my Westside tenure.

Maxing out all the time just took it's toll.

Great way to go from noob to intermediate fast though IMO.

• Advertisement

Thursday 12/11/09 531 bench c9w3

75% 100 x 5
    85% 112.5 x 3
    95% 125 x 2

Tried narrower grip. It sucked.

100 dips.
    No bar or time to do military press.

Fri 13/11/09 Coan Week 7

Deadlift (90%): 1x2 @ 237.5 kg
    Speed deadlift (75%): 3x3 @ 200 kg (120 sec rest b/w sets)
    Power shrugs (70% of current): 2x5 @ 167.5 kg
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 2x5 140kg
    Bent over row: 2x5 90kg
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 2x5 full stack
    Arched back good morning: 2x5 40kg Wendler style...it was crap

237.5kg for 2 reps was easy enough, no danger of a miss. But I have to do 252.5kg for a double on Friday! No way I'll get this but I'll give it a go and video the result

Mon 16/11/09 531 squat C10W1

75% 142.5 x 5
    80% 152.5 x 5
    85% 162.5 x 8

Assistant squats

160kg, 5 sets of 3

Russian twists.
    4 sets

This was hard, very very hard. My lower back was cramping incredibly. Taking Wednesday bench off (again...sorry bench) to make sure I'm ok for my unrealistic deadlifting on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

237.5kg for 2 reps was easy enough, no danger of a miss. But I have to do 252.5kg for a double on Friday! No way I'll get this but I'll give it a go and video the result

Savage deadlifting so far dude, you can do it!

Savage deadlifting so far dude, you can do it!

Thanks dude. If anyone can get me in the right frame of mind for this it's Rob Schneider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Good luck dude! we all believe in ya!

Rob Schneider - possibly the worst actor ever

237.5x2 is great going, you might be surprised with what you can manage with 252

• Advertisement

Coan Week 8

252.5kg x miss

Got it above the knee and couldn't lock it out. Completely overtrained. I was like a feckin question mark my back just gave out. Vid to follow. Watch the way the bar springs off the ground and then just stops 3/4 of the way up.

Didn't bother with any more Coan Phillipi after the miss, it's on the scrapheap. I made progress getting 237.5 x 2 but that was the peak. My lower back has been cramping all week since.

I just did some pure-ab-fury afterwards. 75 Ab wheels and 65 side bends per side with 32kg.

I really need a week or two off. Jumped on the scales and I'm 224lbs. Going to spend the next 2 weeks on intense cardio, get my weight down below 220lbs and give my body a break from lifting. It needs it.

About to attempt my old friend Franley (21/15/9 burpees and air squats) to see how badly my fitness has dissipated!

Franley done.

4mins 44 secs.

My best ever was 3min 37. My first successful one was about 10 mins I think. Happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Miss or no miss, full respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Shiiit.. looked so good and smooth coming off the floor.
    Maybe with some deadlift socks and ammonia caps it'd be there eh?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

not far off at all.
    huge weight 555lbs like.
    it;ll come soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

You probably would have got that if you ate more protein.

Ah here you fcukin pussy!!! :p

That was actually ridiculously strong off the floor. I've noticed my lockout strength's gone to pants as well on CP. Rack pull the sh!t outta yourself cos you can easily haul 260 to there judging by bar speed.

Miss or no miss, full respect.
    Kev M wrote: »
    Shiiit.. looked so good and smooth coming off the floor.
    Maybe with some deadlift socks and ammonia caps it'd be there eh?? :D
    not far off at all.
    huge weight 555lbs like.
    it;ll come soon

Thanks lads. First time I've ever missed a deadlift at the top. My upper back issues coming back to haunt me.
    Roper wrote: »
    You probably would have got that if you ate more protein.

I didn't catch it on camera but just before the lift I stubbed my genetics on a plate left lying around so that had a negative effect also.
    Ah here you fcukin pussy!!! :p

That was actually ridiculously strong off the floor. I've noticed my lockout strength's gone to pants as well on CP. Rack pull the sh!t outta yourself cos you can easily haul 260 to there judging by bar speed.

Yeah my upper back in general needs to get in line. It's always been a weakpoint for me as you well know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Brad, what do you actually do to train upper back??

Brad, what do you actually do to train upper back??

I've tried tonnes of stuff. Kroc Rows most recently. Haven't attacked it individually since starting Coan Phillipi because my entire back was constantly knackered. I actually have a good bit of mass around my traps, it's really my lats and middle back that I find hard to grow. Just a weakpoint. Need to give it some real focus now.

Right I've been faffing about with walks and swims all week, I planned on not lifting until next week but I can barely contain myself. I have a plan for the next two months and I want to put it in place.

I've decided to compete in 110kg class in Jan instead of trying to sneak in under 100kg. I'm already stronger than last year at lighter wieight so a serious amount of calories and training will be taking place between now and the Single Lifts to try and break my PR's by the biggest margin possible.

Squat: Continue with 5/3/1 and my assistance program
    Bench: Moving 5/3/1 max back to 110kg and moving grip in. Throwing close grip bench and rowing madness at myself.
    Dealdlift: Back to 5/3/1 with loads of rack pulls to toast my upper back in addition to the rows.
    Military Press: 5/3/1 and shoulder mass work.

Gonna head up tonight to bench.

110kg ftw.

trying to sneak into the 100's over christmas is probably not a good idea anyway

Right I've been faffing about with walks and swims all week, I planned on not lifting until next week but I can barely contain myself. I have a plan for the next two months and I want to put it in place.

I've decided to compete in 110kg class in Jan instead of trying to sneak in under 100kg. I'm already stronger than last year at lighter wieight so a serious amount of calories and training will be taking place between now and the Single Lifts to try and break my PR's by the biggest margin possible.

Bench: Moving 5/3/1 max back to 110kg and moving grip in. Throwing close grip bench and rowing madness at myself.
    Dealdlift: Back to 5/3/1 with loads of rack pulls to toast my upper back in addition to the rows.

I've already told you, but I want to record it here too - I hate you. you're gonna kick my ass when you get back to 110kg. I'm seriously worried.

Not gonna run with smolov bench anymore so? I'm still gonna do it I think!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I wont be competing against any of you but ye'll still outlift me!
    I'll be in the 125kg weight class.

Smolov Junior Bench works very well, have to say. i went from getting 97.5kg x 3 to getting 97.5kg for 10 sets of 3.
    testing 1rm tonight.

Single Lifts are approaching fast, i'll be trying to run 3 5/3/1 cycles into Jan 23rd.

• Advertisement

I've already told you, but I want to record it here too - I hate you. you're gonna kick my ass when you get back to 110kg. I'm seriously worried.

Not gonna run with smolov bench anymore so? I'm still gonna do it I think!!

Ha ha. Where's your God Crossfit now!!

Not gonna do the Smolov bench, I'm gonna conserve energy for destroying my back and triceps!

Thursday 26/11/09 531 Bench C10W1

110kg training max

75% 82.5kg x 5
    80% 87.5kg x 5
    85% 92.5kg x 12

Close Grip bench
    75kg x7,3,3
    60kg x7,5,5

Neutral grip chins: 40 of 'em
    Hammerstrength LoRo: 40kg, 100reps
    Lat PD: 60kg: 60 reps
    Face Pulls: 30kg, 120 reps

Take that! Stoopid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Damn thats a lot of reps:eek:

jayoo wrote: »
    Damn thats a lot of reps:eek:

Yep. It will continue.

Last Night. 531 Squat c10w2

80% 152.5 x 3
    85% 162.5 x3
    90% 170 x 8 PR

Assistance Squats
    190kg - 3 singles

Today
    50 ab wheels
    50 decline overhead barbell situps - 20kg bar

Big PR on the squats, they're flying. Didn't ahve time for bas last night so got them done today using my brothers home setup.

Tonight 531 Military press c10w2

80% 57.5 x 3
    85% 62.5 x 3
    90% 65 x 10 1 rep PR

50kg x8,5,3
    40kg x7,5,5

Hammerstrength standing press: 30kg - 40 reps

DB Floor Press: 22.5 - 60 reps

Tate press: 10kg - 70 reps

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

C'mon Kev all the cool kids are in the 100's.

Skull wrote: »
    C'mon Kev all the cool kids are in the 100's.

Well it doesn't matter for the single lifts because I won't be there now!

My mam's 60th birthday is on the same day. Such a selfish move on her part really...

Thursday 3/12/09 531 Deadlift C10W2

80% 172.5 x 3
    85% 182.5 x 3
    90% 192.5 x 8 Small PR. Don't each a Dinner Box 10 mins before deadlifting.

Rack Pulls:
    190kg 9 sets of 3

Seated cable rows:
    70kg - 50 reps

Gonna follow the same assistance scheme I'm doing on squats for rack pulls. My entire back is in bits from this, but in a nice way.

Fri 4/12/09 531 Bench c10W2

80% 87.5 x 3
    85% 92.5 x 3
    90% 100 x 9

Close grip bench
    75kg x8,5,4
    60kg x8,7,6

45 neutral grip chinups

Had to rush. Got this done in 30 mins.

• Advertisement