Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disabled Passengers - Tax Concessions?

Options
  • 17-09-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this, My Granny has a bad hip and I quite fancy a Mercedes S500, just wondering can I get free motor tax if I cart granny around...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think Granny would have to be carting herself around in the S500 and be certified as 'disabled' (and it's VRT rebate AFAIK not motor tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So the rebate only appies to new cars, If you bought a new car could you reclaim all the VRT?......what happens if she kicked the bucket would you have to give them back VRT at OMSP...

Granny can't drive herself, she has no licence...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Granny can't drive herself, she has no licence...
    ...there ends the fairytale!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Such a thoughtful young man you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A few things that might catch you out ;)

car has to be under 4,000cc to qualify for the disabled passenger scheme.

You need to get an adaption done that's 10% the pre tax value of the car

She'll need more wrong with her than a bad hip for you to qualify

You need to live with your grandmother full time for it to work.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

She'll need more wrong with her than a bad hip for you to qualify

I could fix her other hip....:D

But seriously....Does the car have to be new to qualify? what could you get that costs 10% of the car that could easily be taken out if granny wasn't in the car....(i'm thinking a gold plated bed pan under the passenger seat)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I could fix her other hip....:D

But seriously....Does the car have to be new to qualify? what could you get that costs 10% of the car that could easily be taken out if granny wasn't in the car....(i'm thinking a gold plated bed pan under the passenger seat)

Are you tking the piss or are you serious?

If it was that easy every car on the road would be registered for a disabled person.

for a disabled passenger, something like a swiveling passnenger seat will do the trick. they can use the car's original seat if you want, but you're talking in the region of €2.5k to get it done.

you also qualify for tax relief on 400 gallons (pretty sure it's that much) of fuel per year.

you can claim relief on the market value of a used car you've already bought if you like

you'll need to get a primary medical certificate
    Your Primary Medical Certificate confirms you are severely and permanently disabled and:

* Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs
    * Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs
    * Are without both hands or both arms
    * Are without one or both legs
    * Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg
    * Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs.

it's not as simple as having a gammy knee!

She's not completly with out the use of one of her legs, but she needs a crutch to walk around and can't walk far...she got her free travel pass the other day (she's 84) but can't walk to the train station....she was a bit annoyed about that...she honestly thought they were winding her up...

thanks for all the info...

maybe you should give her lifts anyway, even if you don't get free road tax? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement