Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding in a rented car

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    hope anyone can help me.

Yesterday I was caught speeding 130 in 100 kph zone. Well, I thought it was a 120 kph zone, still the garda said it was 130, and I was in 100 kph zone, so what can I say? The garda caught me fair and square (I should have notice that the car in front of me was suddenly slowing down.. and I was late :P).

Anyway, it was my first time driving on that road and being caught by the Garda. So I didn't say anything, didn't ask anything (was sooooo nervous, my first time get caught, and not in my own country *d'oh!*). I gave him my address detail in Ireland and show him my driving license. He didn't ask anything about the car, and from my rear window I can see he check on some details of the car plate in his car (maybe, I'm just assuming, from the way he saw my car plate); but I didn't tell him that the car was rented. Well, after that he only said that the letter will be sent to my address and I will not get any point because my license is not Irish. After that I went on my journey (no more speeding of course).

When I check this forum, I read some people get the letter in a few days, some in a few weeks, and some in a few months.

Questions:
    1 # I will leave Ireland in less than 6 months, what if the letter never come? Can I check in the nearest Garda station then pay or something like that? I don't want to have any bad record here. I still want to have my holiday here, errrr.. in the next 20 years, possibly. ^_^

2 # After I read speeding topic in this forum, I am quite sure that there will be not only 1 fine, I might also get some fine in M50, M7, N7 or whatever, especially with the 60 and 80 speed limit (if I'm not mistaken I did around 83-85 kph most of the time, when there's no traffic.) --> possibly get caught with those speed camera and van gatso (what is van gatso?) Anyway, because the I rent the car, how can I know whether I get caught speeding or not? If, the very bad happened, then I got caught speeding, will the rental company just get the money from my credit card or something like that? I cannot find it in the rental agreement.

3 # am I in a big trouble here?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering) ^_^

Comments

phew, you need to relax!! it's not that bad. Yes, the car rental company will debit your card if the fine is sent to them but usually this only happens if you are not stopped by the gardai, so the other times you mention would happen this way. The incident you speak about doing 130k will be sent directly to you in the post and you'll receive it in the next couple of weeks so you should have plenty of time to pay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

You should receive it within 6 months, I am not sure if you'll even have to pay it though. I don't think customs will stop you coming back into the country because you have an outstanding ticket. I may be wrong though.

I can answer number 3 however, you are NOT in big trouble :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its the same as if you got stopped in your own country in a rental car.

The rental company will get a letter

They will inform you of the fine and charge the fine + an admin fee that will be debited from your credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 varda

@Grainne C
    Yes.. thank you. A bit more relax now. Cannot sleep last nite. Oh I felt like a big criminal :((

@ Dave147
    Well, I will pay the fine, hope the letter will come before I leave. Hmm mm..I really hope I am NOT in a big trouble. Thanks... :)

@craichoe
    OK thanks... i drive my own car in my own country. It's my first here. Thanks for the information ^_^

Advertisement