Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Texts for Leaving Cert Honours Maths

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

I hope to start re-teaching myself this subject to help my daughter (I got a B many years ago).

Can anyone recommend a good text tat covers the course.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I used "Text & Tests 4 & 5" by O.D. Morris and found them pretty good. Although I had the old editions (I used my sister's old books). I don't know if the newer editions of T&T are as good.

Although not textbooks, the "Less Stress More Success" revision books give excellent examples of exam type questions. Your daughter should definitely pick up a copy of these, I found them very beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I used both "Text and Tests" and "Discovering Maths" and i found the latter to be far better. Allthough the Circle and Integration are explained more clearly in the "Text and Tests" series.

Theres also a new series called "Concise Maths" which Ive heard is quite good.

Stay away from the Rapid Revision book. Its useless. The Revise Wise series isnt up to much either.

The best of luck in teaching yourself. It aint easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I used both "Text and Tests" and "Discovering Maths" and i found the latter to be far better. Allthough the Circle and Integration are explained more clearly in the "Text and Tests" series.

Theres also a new series called "Concise Maths" which Ive heard is quite good.

Stay away from the Rapid Revision book. Its useless. The Revise Wise series isnt up to much either.

The best of luck in teaching yourself. It aint easy!

+1, I believe most students use Text and tests, although, If you did the subject many years ago, maybe the less stress more success or other cramming book would be of more value, due to the fact that you already have the basics, and it would be quicker to pick up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grimreaper1001

i use concise maths. you'd get more from reading my first abcs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Add one vote to "Discovering Maths" (and I'm familiar with several others). Clear explanations and student-friendly layout and style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Text and tests is what i use with my grinds teacher. Stay away from Aidan Roantree's book although it's maths that makes you think some of the questions are ridiculously hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I used "Discovering maths" by Oliver Murphy [I think..] last year, thought it was much better than the text and tests which I#m using this year.

I actually think the "Revise Wise" books are really good for maths. They're usually crap, but I think they're really helpful for revising topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

There is a little purple book called Maths Bank which has sample questions for a b and c parts for each topic. I find it really good for practising. It has answers in the back but no solutions.

Advertisement