Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding provisional A to full B licence

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Couple of quick licence questions.

I assume if I want to get a provisional Moped Licence I still need to do the theory test for that catagory?

Do I get a seperate (lerners permit?) licence for the moped or is it tacked onto my car licence. Cheers.

New I should have filled out the form years ago to have it included when I got my licence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A moped is 50cc. So that's a M licence.
    An A licence is for motorbikes so it's a motorbike licence you are applying for.

I've done exactly what you did though it wasn't called a learners permit. You need to do a theory test and it'll have some motorbike specific questions.
    Pass and do the usual and you'll get a provisional A licence.

So you'll have two licences to carry around, you can't combine a full B and a provisional A.

But..........if pass your A test, then send in everything and they'll combine it onto one licence free of charge :)

Wait there's more. They used to give a M licence out when you passed your car test but they stopped it in October 2006. When did you get your B licence and does it show M? It might show W for tractors too?
    It'd cover you for a scooter but not anything over 50cc

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

micmclo wrote: »
    A moped is 50cc. So that's a M licence.
    An A licence is for motorbikes so it's a motorbike licence you are applying for.

I've done exactly what you did though it wasn't called a learners permit. You need to do a theory test and it'll have some motorbike specific questions.
    Pass and do the usual and you'll get a provisional A licence.

So you'll have two licences to carry around, you can't combine a full B and a provisional A.

But..........if pass your A test, then send in everything and they'll combine it onto one licence free of charge :)

Yeah sorry meant M. Havnt a need for a motorbike one (yet :)). Though I might apply for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have a full B licence = you have a full M licence already. If its not printed on the licence and you do not have a disbarring code printed on the licence, just go to the MTO and get it added.

Cool.

Think I'll start the ball rolling on the A licence anyway, since I had it in my head to go do something.:) It's not often I get motivated so I think I should act on thsi before the moment passes.

MYOB wrote: »
    You have a full B licence = you have a full M licence already. If its not printed on the licence and you do not have a disbarring code printed on the licence, just go to the MTO and get it added.

Not if they got the B licence after October 2006.
    Edit: It isn't clear in Post 1 but by "years ago" I assume the B licence was gotten before then

Skip the M application, go for an A licence, makes sense :)

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    Not if they got the B licence after October 2006

Skip the M application, got for an A licence, makes sense :)

I thought it ceased to be automatic / had to do with when you did your theory test? I did ye-olde combined ("BMW") theory test and my licence doesn't have M filled in but does not have the code saying I can't have it, either. B licence issued after that date.

It was a EU saftey ruling. Having people passing car tests and then they were fully licenced to drive a moped or a John Deere or Massey Ferguson wasn't the done thing in the EU

It doesn't go on in the other countries so they stopped it.
    What, Ireland has a mad licencing system you say? :eek::D

I reckon you don't have it, it's worth checking out MYOB. You could buy a moped tomorrow but would you be 100% certain you are licenced? Best to ask, especially since you got it after Oct 2006

Yeah, I remember doing a theory test to get my provisional A and being asked questions on cars, wtf? Those days are gone

I'd definitely get the category added to the licence before chancing my arm, but if I ever go bike it'd likely need an A not an M. I still got the cat W on my licence without asking!

It was issued in Naas, where I know of two people who have 'lost' their automatic-only endorsements, one at first issue and one at renewal... not the most reliable MTO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know it's been said already but here it is from citizeninformation.ie
    There are three categories of motorcycle in Ireland that are licensed for use on public roads. If you have a full driving licence to drive a car in Ireland (Category B), granted before 21 October 2006, you are automatically entitled to drive one category of motorcycle (Category M).

I know it's been said already but here it is from citizeninformation.ie

Grand. I have mine since 99. I'll have to get it added.
    I remember the woman at the counter askign me at the time, but she said I had to fill in an extra form so I left it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement