Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build now or later

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have a average HTPC
    E6600, 4gb 333mhz ram,geforce 7600GS i know crap, in one of those MITX Antec Cases.
    It works grand , plays UT3 and CS fine.
    Does all the things I want ok.
    But im getting a big fancy screen and I would like some grunt to show off with.
    The case makes it tricky to stick in a HD4850 . So I thought lets see about a complete refresh.

BUT, The P45 (ironic, if your worked in the uk) is the last LGA 775 mobo to come out. Then its ALL BIG change for the new i7.

Now the question, why would I spend big money now on something that is defunct?

Im trying to get good bang per buck that will last a good while.

Bad time to be upgrading me thinks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you want good bang for your buck just get a good case, good power supply (they should last you a few builds unless you get bored of the case) a 4850 and a p35 motherboard like the gigabyte p35-ds3l. That should last you a while until the prices of nehalem and ddr3 comes down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

thanks. i was thinking that, a p35 good solid mobo.
    i need a good Mini ATX motherboard.

But this fancy but pain in the ar$e case is the problem. Problem 1, Its got a 430w power supply problem 2, I dont know if a HD4050 will fit the f kn thing.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15738

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The motherboard i have is a little gem of a matx board (see my sig) and from the looks of the 3dgm review a 4850 should fit easilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

hmm, i dont see it on your sig, there.

have you a link to that review?

this looks good though
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MMEB994849#spec

Advertisement