Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.8l Honda Civic Saloon

Options
  • 18-09-2008 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Any opinions on the current 1.8l Honda Civic saloon?

Honda_Civic_Hybrid.jpg

I recently drove the 1.4l hatchback (far too underpowered) though very well screwed together.

I have no interest in the civic hybrid or the hatchback diesel.

The Civic saloon appears to be quite a different car from the hatchback

anyone own one. drive one. Is the build quality good?

How long has it been out and when will there be a new model, 2009?,2010?

All opinions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The hatch is a different car indeed - the hatchbacks are made in Swindon, and the saloons in Japan. The 1.8 litre engine is decent, with 140bhp available but you'll have to keep the revs high to get the most out of it :) You are aware that the hatchback is available with the same 1.8 litre engine too, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 1.8 saloon is in band D for VRT, meaning a €430 tax bill every year.

The 1.8 hatch is in band C, while the diesel is band B.

The 1.8 saloon will be saleproof come resale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Civic saloon is a rare sight here due to the limited engine and specification being offered. Disappointing really given the Irish affinity with small saloon cars and the old one's popularity. I suppose having a 1.8 litre engine made it difficult as this opened up cars in the next class up such as the Accord to a potential buyer. The saloon is pretty well equipped though, most things like climate control, electric sunroof, cruise control, 6 cd player, etc are all standard equipment.

The hybrid also sold well enough as there was a Government rebate and it was 1.3 litre. Downside is there is no manual option on the Hybrid if you hate an auto shifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's a great car really, very good mpg from that 1.8. But as E92 said, it'll be the Civic that depreciates the most. They'll make a great buy in a few years!
    €430 is grand on Tax, means it's a small bit cheaper than a 1.8 would have been last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

was in a honda dealer last week - the hybrid is cheaper than the 1.8 saloon with auto box!

(the hybrid has the auto box as standard)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

E92 wrote: »
    The 1.8 saloon is in band D for VRT, meaning a €430 tax bill every year.

The 1.8 hatch is in band C, while the diesel is band B.

The 1.8 saloon will be saleproof come resale time.

Mrs Bee needs new transport, the motor tax is for me irrelevant, much thanks fo rthe info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Stephen wrote: »
    The hatch is a different car indeed - the hatchbacks are made in Swindon, and the saloons in Japan. The 1.8 litre engine is decent, with 140bhp available but you'll have to keep the revs high to get the most out of it :) You are aware that the hatchback is available with the same 1.8 litre engine too, yes?

Hmm! That its built in Japan would swing me towards the saloon anytime.

The rear view from the hatch is dreadful due to the window layout.

I think the saloon is a much more handsome proposition.

Thanks for the info

Revs high! typical Honda engine then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Firstly the one in your pic is the US hybrid version, the european/japanese version has a different front end, slightly more angular.
    Civic_4dr_Saloon_intro.jpg
    I've had one for the past 2 years, can't say a bad word about it.
    Comes with everything as standard (as bazz said).
    I'm due to change it in the new year (company car) and I can't see anything else that would stop me getting another.
    Also there's 5 others in work with the same car, all 5 think its a great car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a 5-door civic hatch myself and I love it. They had some build quality problems with the early models but any built since 2007 should be fine - nothing wrong with Honda's Swindon plant! Like the saloon, it comes with pretty much everything as standard (on the 1.8 at least - most of the 1.4s are poverty spec), except leather.

Advertisement