Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windmill Lane/Pearse St area

Options
  • 18-09-2008 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into this area in about a week. Just wondering, how safe is the area? The graffiti around it makes it look seriously dodge, but it seems to be mostly apartments...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not very 'safe' but not exactly dangerous either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Pet wrote: »
    I'm moving into this area in about a week. Just wondering, how safe is the area? The graffiti around it makes it look seriously dodge, but it seems to be mostly apartments...

The graffitti around Windmill Lane? You don't have to worry about trouble from the people that graffitti that wall - it's more U2 fans and graffitti heads (or whatever they call themselves) rather than scumbags that spray that wall.

A friend of mine lives in apartments on Windmill Lane and don't think he's seen much trouble. I remember some young lads fired a rock and hit me on the head around there once but that was about 9 years ago.

It's not Sheriff Street by any stretch of the imagination.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i wouldnt have a problem with living around there at all

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I live not far. It's fine I wouldn't worry. two years and never any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The area is very safe. The corporation housing community located near there is very settled, meaning that its mainly older people and not kids looking for trouble. The type of graffiti you get is the good kind if that makes sense. The apartments themselves are very secure.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Boston wrote: »
    The area is very safe. The corporation housing community located near there is very settled, meaning that its mainly older people and not kids looking for trouble. The type of graffiti you get is the good kind if that makes sense. The apartments themselves are very secure.

Yeah, the locals are of the salt of the earth variety and very decent. The kids can be obnoxious though but hardly cause to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And you have that new Spar the size of a giant Tesco beside you!

Grand area, the graffiti there is sort of the legal type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

just moved out of there after two happy years. never any issues with any of the locals, who are a friendly, genuine, mature community.

Maximilian wrote: »
    The kids can be obnoxious though but hardly cause to worry.

Kids are obnoxious everywhere I find, especially as I get older!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Sorry to bring back an old thread. Didn't want to a make a new one.

3 years on from this thread. I'm wondering what is this area like to live in?

As mentioned the graffiti on the wall makes it look dodge.

I have friends near merrion sq I'd be visiting a good bit & prob be walking home at night at good bit!

• Advertisement

thebison wrote: »

I have friends near merrion sq I'd be visiting a good bit & prob be walking home at night at good bit!

It's still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its still topical, so don't sweat it.

ha Cheers...also forgive my ignorance but what Tesco is near here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

ha Cheers...also forgive my ignorance but what Tesco is near here?

That was one issue I had when I lived in that general area. Unless I was just being stupid (although this was a good 4 years ago) the closest tesco was the one in Jervis. There's a tiny one on Fleet Street now, though. Might be some Lidl/Aldis that have opened in the meantime though.

Assumed that alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Wouldnt call the Tesco on Fleet street tiny now...
    Theres a monstrous, and I mean monstrous Spar literally just outside the front gate thats open till 9.30pm (10pm for door around the other side). Theres also the Tesco up on Baggot Street and the closest others would be in around town.

Great for getting to Trinity College and Pearse Station, as well as going in to town. Such a relief not having to get a cab home after a night out in town and handy for mates too wanting a couch to crash on, yet still away from the loudness of town; quiet enough at night (depending which building your in) and safe.

Only about as dangerous as anywhere really; some of the kids can be annoying but 99.9% of them are fine (albeit the inner city accent). Had a stone thrown at me once by some kid around 10 or 11 about 8 months ago. Moron didnt run though and thought he'd be smart by just standing there as I approached, saying, 'what ya gonna do about it'. I gave him a quite the backhand, doubt he will do it again after he started balling. Otherwise everything is grand, been living there near 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DexDexter

Hi Guys,
    I am planning to move to this area (Windmill Lane Apartments just next to Spar in Windmill Lane). Please, any words of advise.. what's the place like? is it safe? did you have any problems?
    I can see a few replies here,but they are a bit out of date...
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Karen_Ann

DexDexter wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I am planning to move to this area (Windmill Lane Apartments just next to Spar in Windmill Lane). Please, any words of advise.. what's the place like? is it safe? did you have any problems?
    I can see a few replies here,but they are a bit out of date...
    Cheers.

Hi. Im looking into an apartment in the area too. Have you moved in?! And how do you find it :)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I have lived in Windmill Lane on and off for over 10 years. It looks worse than it is. I never had any trouble in the immediate area.

I think the local kids are unpleasant, but nothing to worry about. Sometimes they leave cans and other litter around at steps of one of the office buildings, but that's all really.

I work in Smithfield and it's so, so much nicer than that area by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Karen_Ann

boombang wrote: »
    I have lived in Windmill Lane on and off for over 10 years. It looks worse than it is. I never had any trouble in the immediate area.

I think the local kids are unpleasant, but nothing to worry about. Sometimes they leave cans and other litter around at steps of one of the office buildings, but that's all really.

I work in Smithfield and it's so, so much nicer than that area by comparison.

Cool. Ya I would be commuting to Kilmainham everyday and plan to take the red luas. The more i google the Kilmainhaim are though [and the red luas too actually] the more horror stories i hear. Is it okay to walk from Georges Dock across to Windmill at night?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I lived there for a couple of years and, if I were to return to Dublin, I'd move back in a flash. A few pesky but harmless kids hanging around the Eurospar is the worst of it.

I think the walk across the river on the footbridge is amazing at night with all the lights and that. With the usual caveat about being aware of what's going around around you in a city you'll enjoy living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Is it okay to walk from Georges Dock across to Windmill at night?!

Pretty much perfectly safe I think. It wouldn't bother me.

Apart from the petty annoyance of litter I think the biggest problem in the area is theft from cars parked in and around the lane. That said I would only see a pool of glass on the street once every few months. Plus it's perfectly avoidable by leaving nothing in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Karen_Ann wrote: »
    Cool. Ya I would be commuting to Kilmainham everyday and plan to take the red luas. The more i google the Kilmainhaim are though [and the red luas too actually] the more horror stories i hear. Is it okay to walk from Georges Dock across to Windmill at night?!
    I have lived in Windmill Lane Apartments for over 7 years and I have had no problems. You get the odd cheeky kid hanging around Spar but nothing to worry about. I am also studying part time in NCI and I have walked home late many nights from the IFSC without any issues. Just beware on the the Luas as you can get some mad ones on there.

Have you moved in yet?. You will love the location its around 10 minutes walk from Grafton St and around the same to O'Connell St. The Eurospar next door is great and there is an M&S in the IFSC too. If you have any problems let me know as I am on the management committee.

Advertisement