Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to repeat the LC without going back to school?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

I did the Leaving Cert in 2007 and I'm after finishing a year of college and dropped out. I want to do the LC again without going back to school and was wondering where I apply etc, and would I be too late to sit the exams for 2009? And would my Irish count for Matriculation? Just a coupla questions :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Eeek...

Yes if you got the grade needed for matriculation purposes in 2007 it would count, so you don't have to repeat that.

http://www.examinations.ie/ should answer all your questions really.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why the "Eeek..."? :)

Thanks, yeah looks like everything is there, judging by last year's dates I should be ok for doing them this year. :) Just gotta knuckle down and make sure I do better than my wee sister :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It's just something I'd never do, from being in college to going back to that evil, evil exam hahaha.

If you're 22 should think about doing a course as a mature student.. no need to do the LC again.

Alas I'm only 20. And it'll be a while before I have the money to pay for a college course since I already ****ed up one chance. :P

I quite enjoyed the LC if I'm honest, I don't stress easily :P

Another question tho, in the case of Physics and Biology would the recorded experiments I have from before be acceptable to show I've done the experiments or would I have to redo them. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy, just want to make sure everything is right so I don't waste time studyin if in the end I can't sit the paper :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

what's going on with people up at this hour :P

One thing, if you want to do medicine, you'll have to resit the mat. requirements again, otherwise, you're alright.

Regarding the bio and phy experiments, you shouldn't have to redo them so long as you did them before, and can show evidence of this, and with the current sylabus, (i think it was introduced in 2002) but chances are that you dont still have your old exp books. Suppose you can argue that you had to have done them if you were allowed to sit them the first time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm up coz I dropped out of college and don't have a job :p

Might throw in English and German at pass to cover myself, dunno what I wanna do yet.

Aye, the fact that I already sat the exam makes sense as proof, but common sense isn't always the best thing to rely on when dealing with anything to do with the government :P

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm up coz I dropped out of college and don't have a job :p

Might throw in English and German at pass to cover myself, dunno what I wanna do yet.

Aye, the fact that I already sat the exam makes sense as proof, but common sense isn't always the best thing to rely on when dealing with anything to do with the government :P

Ah, How did I know- a med head. ;) Yep, stupid dpt of education. Wouldn't trust them as far as I'd throw them. I'd probably teach myself chemistry if I was in your situation, nothing too indepth, just the basics, esp if you ARE going for medicine.

I don't even know what I want to do TBH, just want to see what I can get, let myself down big style when I did it the first time. May as well do a load of subjects at pass as well so I can get in anything :P How tough would Chemistry be to learn enough from now to get a pass in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

How tough would Chemistry be to learn enough from now to get a pass in?

Not too hard at all. Know your organic chemistry. Its possible to get three full questions on that topic alone. Know your atomic structure, gas laws, chemical equilibrium and your away with it! :D

Edit: Oh and know your acid/base and reduction/oxidation chapters well plus the associated experiments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are planning to do any of the subjects with a project element, e.g. History, you'll need to get a teacher to sign off that it is your own unaided work. Similarly if Home Ec. is on your list, you'll need to have a teacher sign off on your practical preparation and project work.
    Otherwise, be aware the prescribed reading for English and Irish will be different from that covered in your original Leaving.

• Advertisement

I wonder would Kwekubo care to shed some light on this subject, it's something he (probably) knows about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Watchdog1Eye

I did the Leaving Cert in 2007 and I'm after finishing a year of college and dropped out. I want to do the LC again without going back to school and was wondering where I apply etc, and would I be too late to sit the exams for 2009? And would my Irish count for Matriculation? Just a coupla questions :P

I repeated like this. It was one of the best years of my life to be honest as I got to work on entirely my own timetable. You should be grand so long as you know what the craic is with syllabi. Im not sure about the science subjects but with the history and geography projects I had to redo them and had nothing but bureaucracy in my way regarding signing them off, but your old teachers should be able to sign them for you.

Best of luck!

Advertisement