Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

enforcement of the learner driver laws

Options
  • 18-09-2008 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0918/driving.html
    Hundreds of people have been caught breaching the new regulations for learner drivers.

New figures obtained from the gardaí show 1400 offences have been committed over a two month period.

The new rules for learner drivers were introduced by the Government in July, the most significant of which affected those on a second provisional licence.

Previously, such drivers were permitted to drive alone, but under the new rules they now have to be accompanied by the holder of full licence of two years.

Most offenders were caught driving unaccompanied and failing to display 'L' plates. Both offences carry fines of up to €1000.

The Road Safety Authority has welcomed the figures saying it is clear that new rules were being enforced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So really not that many people have been fined it looks like.

Couple of hundred but with 1400 offences some of these people caught would have had maybe 2-3 offence each i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I think it's strange that it's not being fully enforced because the government are so badly in need of money. Enforcing this properly would have the cash flowing in.

I only started driving in August and am starting pre-test lessons next week for a test date in November. This new law is definitely motivating me to do a test as I don't want to be breaking the law and risking fines.

No guarantee of passing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

With these laws would people be more inclined not to display their 'L' plates if driving alone?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

when I was driving on a permit I kept the plates up as I figured I'm better off being caught for one thing (no full driver) then two (no L plate and no full driver), also I figured the Gardai were VERY unlikely to just randomly pull me over unless I broke the law some other way such as speeding.

So my biggest fear was checkpoints which is why I didn't even venture out on bank holidays,

I know one or two people that think that having no L plates makes then safer but I'd rather be got for no full driver then nailed to the wall for both no full driver and no L plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't know why the Gardai and the RSA are making such a big thing about this. 1400 is a miniscule figure and works out at 23 persons per day, which is less than one learner per county!!

(And that's assuming that each person has committed only one offence).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I have yet to hear of anyone being fined, I reckon its just scare tactics. My girlfriend was stopped with no L plates and a provisional license. They asked her if she had a date for her test (she has) then they just told her to get her full license as soon as possible and left her to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Has she put up her L plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'd be scared to drive without my L plates, I hope they serve as some sort of explanation to other drivers if I stall or make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Was stopped at a checkpoint in Ballsbridge on Sunday with L plates up. Nothing happened - Garda just looked at tax and insurance and waved me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The gards arent going to say anything most of the time, if your stopped at a checkpoint, they might mention it to you/record your details and enter it on their system perhaps, its only the second occasion youll be pinched more than likely, but i guess it depends on the gards mood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is it just the fines or are there penalty points and convictions also?

...and car seizures. If they give you a ticket for driving un-accompanied they can't really just let you drive away and keep committing the offence can they? In much the same way as they can't let a drunk driver continue his journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Im fully insured, taxed and nct'd. I have a permit, and i drive with 2 plates up. got stopped the other night on the way home from work. basically the gard pulled meover cos of the plates. I got out of the car and started talking to him, he was fairly sound. I simply said "I know i dont have a leg to stand on so im not gonna argue, but did ya pull me over for my driving or cos of he plates??" he basically said it was a random thing, so i said no bother, told him that he was following me for a good 10 mins before he pulled me over and iff he taught i coulnt handl the car, he basically said that i was driving perfectly well and that he didnt want to fine me for not having an accomplice and that he thinks that the waiting line is a joke in the country. he just then said try and have someone with me at all times even if he/she doesnt have the licence more then 2 years.

sound bloke, but it just shows if ya dont be cheeky or abusive the gards are human too and understand wheat people are going through

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    he thinks that the waiting line is a joke in the country
    He obviously doesn't know much about it then!

Are you confusing the waiting times for a test with the 6 month rule?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't get the rule that the accompanied qualified driver must have their licence 2 years. You're good enough to pass a test, drive alone but not drive with someone learning? :confused:

It is to ensure that a driver with at least two years experience is helping the learner. A newly qualified driver is really only starting to get used to driving alone. You don't want the blind leading the blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its also to do with onfriend in the group getting a full license and then supervising a provisional holder, he's not going to say anything to him tbh, if its the 2 year thing, prob not going to be friends as much in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

In all my time driving on the magical old 2nd provisional for over a year, Cert Of Competency (for about 2 hours in one day) and full license since the beginning of Feb, I have only been pulled over once by the Guards and asked for my license, that was for a non-functioning tail light.

In short, unless your route involves a high probability of Garda checkpoints, the chances of you being pulled without explicit cause are minimal. So if you must break learner-driver laws, I would advise not advertsing that fact by drivng alone with L-Plates. I would imagine that you would be less likely to get pulled, but the downside is that if you are, you get doubly-screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

SeanW Promoting others to act illegally is strictly forbidden on this forum. warning given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

hes not advising! he made a point. quite a valid one been honest. dat is if yer not doin anything wrong as in yer driving thn they arent gonna pull ya over. if ya have l plates up they mightn pull ya over but theres defo a much bigger chance. so if yer obliging most o the laws then yer running like a 50% risk but if ye break 2 of em, id say you have about a 1% chance of gettin pulled over

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    I would advise not advertsing that fact by drivng alone with L-Plates. I would imagine that you would be less likely to get pulled
    ssmith6287 wrote: »
    hes not advising!
    You better read his post again.

Advertisement