Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dizzy while lunging?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone else gets dizzy when lunging? And what can you do to stop it or ease it?
    I never really had the need to do much lunging in the past, but with the new mare I just want to give her some light exercise. I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without my head and eyes hurting. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Are you feeling slightly "seasick"? Keeping your eyes on a fixed horizon point can help a bit with that.

Edit: found a link describing what I was thinking about. It's from ballet, but look at point 3 about "spotting": http://www.ehow.com/how_2170145_do-pirouettes-ballet-well.html

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Yeah a little bit seasick or something like that. I was lunging her in the field, even though I tried to look at her, but I kept seeing the trees whizzing by in the background too.

Just seen your link - going to look at that now thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

I used to get dizzy to when lunging but with experience and practice I got over it... As mentioned before try to focus on the horse not the surrounding and it will be easier... I tend to focus on the legs to see that the are tracking up, lenghting etc.... It does get easier with practice.. Hope that helps..

I'll give it a go thanks. Probably didn't help that I had a head cold too :(

I ready the article about spotting while doing pirouettes in ballet, good in theory, but not sure how it will work out in practice? While trying to keep eye on everything else that's going on.

As marlie said hopefully it will get easier with practice. Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I know that feeling, it's really annoying. I usually just try and stare at the horses body or its head, even looking at it's legs makes you feel sick as well since they are moving (obviously) just watching them walk is ok but not trotting or cantering. are you carsick too? I get nauseous sometimes on trips. eating something gingery is supposed to help, not sure if that helps with nauseousness caused by walking in circles though lol.

• Advertisement

I think I have cracked it now! I just stare at her head, or her eye in particular. I can kinda see the rest of her too IYKWIM, but I try to totally block everything else out, in the background.
    Also I didn't seem to be going round in circles as much, maybe I was sticking to the one spot much better this time.
    It worked really well this weekend, and I was able to do it for a lot longer.

So hopefully it will help anyone else who is feeling this way. Thanks for all the tips.

Advertisement