Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Chelsea -v- Manchester United [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

• 18-09-2008 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭

Chelsea -v- Man United
    Sunday 2pm

Chelsea are playing well, scoring goals. Drogba out i think but Ballack back.Chance to open up a gap between the two.Won't settle for anything other than a win.

Been a slow start for United and this is a great chance to get there season going. Hopefully it will be a good match, Roll on Sunday!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd go for a 2-1 to Chelsea or a 1-1 draw. United are very flat, yes they were unlucky against Villareal and could have snuck a fluukey draw at Anfield, but the pressure is on for them now. I cant see United taking 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

me thinks a draw is the most likely outcome. and one that i would be quite happy with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Massive game for United - if we don't get a result on Sunday it will be very hard to get the league campaign back on track, and getting a result will not be easy considering how poorly we are playing.

Our midfield will be extremely important on sunday, and I hope fergie gets the selection right, cause he screwed it up last weekend and it cost us.

At the moment, my head is saying a chelsea win, and 2-0 at that. United are simply not performing to standard, and Chelsea were great at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

After losing to Liverpool and drawing in Champions League United will be going for the win.

I think 1 - 0 to United

Is Ronaldo going to be in the starting line up?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Drogba definately out? Did he not come on as a sub recently? I saw he played an hour against the Arsenal reserves last week.

I don't have any particular preference over the result - woohoo! Being a neutral is fun :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Wahey Chelsea get a dedicated match thread, and so early in the week,

Its hard to see past a Chelsea victory for me, will be a big day for Mikel,

I can't wait for the day when the pundits realise he is that good, and no he doesn't actually get suspended that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I can't see United getting too much from the game without Ronadlo.

Vidic out but I can see Evans doing a good enough job as replacement.

My preferred Chelsea line up would be

Cech
    Bosingwa
    Ricky C
    Alex
    Ashley

Mikel
    Ballack
    Lampard

Cole
    Deco
    Anelka / Drogba

Predictions? 3-0 to Chelsea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Drogba definately out? Did he not come on as a sub recently? I saw he played an hour against the Arsenal reserves last week.

Yes, against City last week, he only missed the Bordeaux game through suspension. Im sure he'l make some appearance on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

armour87 wrote: »
    I can't see United getting too much from the game without Ronadlo.

Vidic out but I can see Evans doing a good enough job as replacement.

My preferred Chelsea line up would be

Cech
    Bosingwa
    Ricky C
    Alex
    Ashley

Mikel
    Ballack
    Lampard

Cole
    Deco
    Anelka / Drogba

Predictions? 3-0 to Chelsea!
    Dropping Terry, now that would be funny after all the fuss this week! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

A draw in my opinion

won't be a classic

Although that Chelsea home record has to come to an end sometime....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

At the moment we are looking absolutely formidable while United are looking a shadow of themselves. I think we are going to roll them over like the 4-1 victory we got over Liverpool a few years back. There won't be a better time to play United (bar last week) with Berbatov not used to his new team, Ronaldo not fully fit and an increasingly important Carrick out. No Essien or Ballack but I'd fear a Mikel,Deco and Lampard trio and hopefully Anelka has gotten his confidence back after his goal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think its going to be a convincing win. Would be great to thump them, won't happen though.

2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Add a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Looking forward to this one but really nervous about it. Chelsea are very strong in the middle and this is where utd are at their weakest at the moment because Fergie seems to have gotten a little too doddery for my liking.

Good time to play United, bad time to play Chelsea. Chelsea will be looking for revenge after Moscow, United still seem to mentally be in Moscow, Chelsea unbeaten at home in the league in 4 years, United struggling to put a goal together.

I know who I'd bet on if I were a professional gambler anyway.

Chelsea will win Id say. But if there was ever a time for United to pull a performance out of their ar$e itd be now. Just dont see it happening with Ronaldo being rusty, Berba will take time to gel, Vidic is out, VDS is shakey, Carrick is out, Terry is off the hook...it just doesnt seem to be likely.

2 or 3 nil Cheslea. Hope I'm wrong.

CHD wrote: »
    I think its going to be a convincing win. Would be great to thump them, won't happen though.

2-0

Don't see why not, I didn't even know Vidic was out when I predicted an easy 3 goal margin victory. As far as I'm concerned, a Man Utd team without 3 of their most important players are there for the taking, especially at the Bridge

Add a poll.
    I can't for some reason.

Mods can you do it please!

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Don't see why not, I didn't even know Vidic was out when I predicted an easy 3 goal margin victory. As far as I'm concerned, a Man Utd team without 3 of their most important players are there for the taking, especially at the Bridge
    I can see us being all over them but a 2-0 scoreline.

Wouldn't be surprised if we destroyed them 4 or 5 nil and also woludn't surprise me if United get a draw.We need Mikel (presuming he starts holding midfield) and Anelka to perform and we should romp home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Far to little credit being given here to the european and premiership champions, so they've had a slow start, If Ronaldo and Berbatov start I can see Chelsea taking us for granted and us getting the draw maybe even beating chelsea 2 - 1.

I will put my neck out...

UNITED WILL NOT BEAT CHELSEA.

• Advertisement

NO CHANCE AT ALL

Chelsea fans in here are making me almost hope that Utd stuff em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Chelsea fans in here are making me almost hope that Utd stuff em.

Chelseas signings this summer

Bosingwa
    Deco
    Arrogance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Judging by the last match in April there wasn't alot in it, United fielded a weakend team, while Chelsea were more or less full strength apart from Lampard. Ballick was the difference on the day IMO, With Ballick, Essien and Drogba missing, the side to face United on Sunday will not be as strong as last time.

Chelsea welcome Deco (who I think has been a joy to watch - great touch - great brain), but he looked tired against City in the second half, he was actually instrumental in getting Terry sent off with a careless lazy backpass. Defensivily in Midfield Chelsea will be short, the likey starting midfield Sunday will be Deco, Lampard and Mikel compared to last April in Essien, Mikel and Ballick.

As for United it will be interesting enough to see if Ronaldo and Berbatov start, I think the interchange will be fantastic between the 2 of them, not a great match to have the your first test thou. I hope Ferguson goes 4-4-2, with Nani and Ronaldo on the wings, Scholes and Hargreaves in the Centre with Berbatov and Rooney up top.

It will be a tight affair, United to shade it thou by the odd goal, kick start the season and bring down the fotress that is Stamford bridge.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Chelseas signings this summer

Bosingwa
    Deco
    Arrogance

lol - i had that argument with my dad the other week.

I was saying United and Chelsea would be close at the top of the table again - my dad replied that there was no way in hell that United would finish above chelsea and that chelsea had been clearly the best side in england for the last 3 seasons. I questioned him on this - he said he had a "quiet confidence" in his side.... An arrogant confidence in his side I informed him, an arrogant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Have a feeling United might just nick this one, then again I have that every week so it probably doesnt mean much:D. Chelsea have to be beaten at home at some stage and its right up Uniteds street to break out from this slow start and pull the big one out of the bag. Hopefully wont get beat anyway.
    Guess hell go

VDS

Brown Evans Ferdinand Evra

Hargreaves Scholes Fletcher

Ronaldo Berbatov Rooney

or something like that, probably want to stick a couple of battlers in midfield anyway. Tough game but usually a good one

I'd actually consider a midfield of Scholes, Anderson and Fletcher, with Hargreaves at right back and Brown in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Last week against the Pool I was confident and we lost, this week I'm dreading this match and I'm sure we will get beat, hopefully these switch and we sneak a win :)
    In all honesty, I can see this being 1/2-0 to the Chelski

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Far to little credit being given here to the european and premiership champions, so they've had a slow start, If Ronaldo and Berbatov start I can see Chelsea taking us for granted and us getting the draw maybe even beating chelsea 2 - 1.

You beat us on penalties in Moscow after we deserved to win. In the calender year of 2008 we have been the best team in the league, you just got too good of a start on us. Also, you only won the league on the last day. Last season we were ridiculously close.

Without a fit Ronaldo and Vidic we are streets ahead because we have far more strength in depth. united needed to sign somebody to take back up the left wing because Giggs is gone now and Scholesy is a shadow of his former self. We don't have Essien or Ballack, our two best CMs last year and we are barely weaker.Having said that if it turns out that Ronaldo is fit I expect that there's a good chance me and CHD will end up the serious egg on our face but United are a one man team and without him I'd expect us to prosper

• Advertisement

You beat us on penalties in Moscow after we deserved to win. In the calender year of 2008 we have been the best team in the league, you just got too good of a start on us. Also, you only won the league on the last day. Last season we were ridiculously close.

We were better in the first half, your lot were better in the second half, and extra time was even. It was an even game, you did not 'deserve' to win it.

I thought Chelsea deserved to win in Moscow tbh.

But in relation to the calender year thing....i read this morning that Liverpool were the form team in the league since Jan losing only one game in the league since the new year? was it wrong?

Gentleman leagues arn't won in a calender year, you can dress the nonsense up any way you want.

The fact is United were the best team in europe last season with Chelsea a close second.

Tauren wrote: »
    We were better in the first half, your lot were better in the second half, and extra time was even. It was an even game, you did not 'deserve' to win it.

I think you can look at this both ways. United were amazing for 30-35 mins, cleary the best football they played in the biggest game of the year. Up until the 90th minute Chelsea were better, with the extra time fairly even as you said. They never matched that 30 mins from United, but were on top from that point on.

If I had to be honest, Chelsea slightly (and I mean slightly) shaded it. 52 - 48 maybe? I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees with me there

Trilla wrote: »
    If I had to be honest, Chelsea slightly (and I mean slightly) shaded it. 52 - 48 maybe? I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees with me there

United were better where it counted the penalty shoot out. 6-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I know who I'd bet on if I were a professional gambler anyway.

Uh huh. Putting money on Utd this weekend would be the height of stupidity. That doesn't mean that they can't win or draw - tis a football match after all between two teams that were inseparable last season. But all indicators that are available for analysis give the edge to the home team in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say it'll be a Chelsea win tbh. They've had a fantastic start, and are playing some brilliant football. United have stuttered so far. I thought we looked really good against Villareal last night though.

Could be a really good match, but with it being at Stamford Bridge I'd say it'll be Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Without a fit Ronaldo and Vidic we are streets ahead because we have far more strength in depth. united needed to sign somebody to take back up the left wing because Giggs is gone now and Scholesy is a shadow of his former self. We don't have Essien or Ballack, our two best CMs last year and we are barely weaker.Having said that if it turns out that Ronaldo is fit I expect that there's a good chance me and CHD will end up the serious egg on our face but United are a one man team and without him I'd expect us to prosper

Rubbish comments ,they are not a one man team one man has never won a championship on one player, the european final last year was not by any means all Chelsea and your captain bottled it we didn't. I love all this cause at the end of the day you clearly were not the best team in the premiership cause you didn't win it and I expect use will get surprized this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Chelsea very very strong at home as we all know lads but if there's one team that can spoil that party it's Manchester United.

Away win

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Away win

C'mon UNITED!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Deco to get some revenge after CL disappointment next year with Barca?? Maybe, I still think United have the capability to go there and win, Chelsea can write them off at their peril. However, if United don't start picking up the pace I can see them going down the slippery slope that I'm so familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

It's a tough one to call, Utd are struggling with form and injuries but are going to have to start somewhere, why not the bridge, we stopped Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten streak, so I'm going for a 1-0/2-1 utd win.

Chelsea looked piss poor against Wigan and City played into their hands with a too open approach to the game!

OK they looked class against Pompey and I haven't seen any of the other matches they played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Extremely hard match to call as so much will depend on who is fit and available.

So far, it would seem that Vidic, Carrick, Ronaldo, Ballack, Essien and Drogba will all be missing - between 150 and 200 million worth of talent?!?! Insane!!

If United are missing those 3, I think it will be quite difficult for United to win this match outright. They could jam it but I certainly can't see them being deserved winners.

Chelsea are missing quite alot of talent but they have so much cover - the only real loss in Drogba but then again, they have been playing without him all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eZe^ wrote: »
    Deco to get some revenge after CL disappointment next year with Barca?? Maybe, I still think United have the capability to go there and win, Chelsea can write them off at their peril. However, if United don't start picking up the pace I can see them going down the slippery slope that I'm so familiar with.

I have noticed that in your posts recently that you really do see United doing a Barca, i.e. underperformind despite having one of the best squads in the world.

Mr Moon wrote: »
    we stopped Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten streak

At home.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I thought Chelsea deserved to win in Moscow tbh.

Suprise suprise!! Of course you did. the day u give United credit for anything at all is the day boards will melt down!!! United could have won 10 nil and you'd have found faultt! United tore Chawsea apart in the 1st half and had they gone in 3-0 up at half time it wouldn't have flattered United at all. i think a 3-0 in the second half would have completely flattered Chelsea. Chelsea hit the outside of the post twice, we had two off the line clearances, so we hit the target they missed. And our goal was a lovely team move, theirs was a comedy of deflections.....you cant seriously believe that deep down but sure most pool fans

Thats the biggest load of bull Ive read all day.

The arrogance of the small timers in here is laughable. 3 leagues and ZERO Champions Leagues lads.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    At home.

Was that Arsenals first away game in their unbeaten run?

This thread is funny. Chelsea fans losin the run of themselves and Liverpool fans trying to wipe their arse on everything United achieve....pretty pathetic really.

Was that Arsenals first away game in their unbeaten run?

Of course not.The point is though, if you look at the statistics of every team;s results in league and cup football from year to year - the reality is that in the long run everyone performs better at home. Ergo, home advantage adds a small percentage edge in every game. In this case Chelsea have that small edge. And when teams are evenly matched such things matter.

Anywho I'll let the majority of fans from either side go back to saying: "our team will win just because".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's only one winner with this tie: Liverpool!

Chelsea win, and it really piles the pressure on Man Utd. They'll need to go to the Emirates and pick up 3 points to get themselves back on track.

Man Utd win, and Liverpool (hopefully!) go clear at the top of the table.

A draw, and Liverpool (hopefully!) put distance between their two biggest rivals.

I'd settle for a draw, but this could really go either way. Man Utd don't usually go too many games without winning, and with Ronaldo back they should be up for it.

Chelsea have been playing well and they have the home advantage. They're a little hit by injuries though, and this will be Scolari's first test against the best in the league.

Prediction? Chelsea 1 - 0 Man Utd

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Anywho I'll let the majority of fans from either side go back to saying: "our team will win just because".

thats a bit unfair. I said i think we'll lose. Most united fans have expressed doubt at getting a result. the Chelsea fans have said it'll be an "easy win".......to be fair even the most biased of fans has to admit which side is coming out looking classier
    eZe^ wrote: »
    However, if United don't start picking up the pace I can see them going down the slippery slope that I'm so familiar with.

Having watched it happen to Barca and looking at the similarities between the 2 teams (barca 06 and United 08) this is what I fear the most right now.

JP Liz wrote: »
    After losing to Liverpool and drawing in Champions League United will be going for the win.

I think 1 - 0 to United

2-0

BlueBandit wrote: »
    Have a feeling United might just nick this one, then again I have that every week so it probably doesnt mean much:D.
    Dun laoire wrote: »
    Chelsea very very strong at home as we all know lads but if there's one team that can spoil that party it's Manchester United.

Away win
    Trilla wrote: »
    C'mon UNITED!!!
    Mr Moon wrote: »
    It's a tough one to call, Utd are struggling with form and injuries but are going to have to start somewhere, why not the bridge, we stopped Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten streak, so I'm going for a 1-0/2-1 utd win.

Chelsea looked piss poor against Wigan and City played into their hands with a too open approach to the game!

OK they looked class against Pompey and I haven't seen any of the other matches they played!
    JP Liz wrote: »

I think 1 - 0 to United

At the moment we are looking absolutely formidable while United are looking a shadow of themselves. I think we are going to roll them over like the 4-1 victory we got over Liverpool a few years back. There won't be a better time to play United (bar last week) with Berbatov not used to his new team, Ronaldo not fully fit and an increasingly important Carrick out. No Essien or Ballack but I'd fear a Mikel,Deco and Lampard trio and hopefully Anelka has gotten his confidence back after his goal

2-0

Boggles wrote: »
    United to shade it thou by the odd goal, kick start the season and bring down the fotress that is Stamford bridge.

:rolleyes:

There's only one winner with this tie: Liverpool!..............Man Utd win, and Liverpool (hopefully!) go clear at the top of the table.

Weren't City top of the table at this stage last season?

Tis a bit early IMO to be doing permutations in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement