Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Chelsea -v- Manchester United [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    Is kickoff at 2 or coverage? Just wondering cas on SSN last night it said live from 2pm, and you know those guys like there Big match build ups

Found out its okay
    Chelsea V Man Utd 21 Sep 14:00

eZe^ wrote: »
    Why must you remind the sole Cule on the board of even more misery... The good times seem so far far away... :pac::pac::pac:

Sorry bro, to be fair, that one hurts any football purist! My dad often gives out about it!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think Boswinga and Cole will have an important role to play in this match. If they really get at Neville and Evra it will cause Utd serious problems. Boswinga has the ability to deliver a great cross and without Vidic , Ferdinand never looks as good.

Chelsea by the odd goal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

'Big 4' games involving Arsenal are usually entertaining, otherwise they are usually fairly dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Neither Hargreaves or Carrick is fully fit. I can see United losing any pretence of a hold on the midfield, especially in the centre. I expect to see us overrun quite quickly there in fact.

Unless we get some great performances in the middle of the park, it's probably going to be Chelsea's. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Wow this thread filled with crap pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I predict chelsea win 10-1. United to get the first goal.:D

Seriously though, if united do win, I'd be shocked if it's by more than 1 goal. I expect Chelsea to dominate the midfield and be in total control when it comes to their defence. Man U have to change their ideal pairing in defence due to suspension, their midfield is carrying injuries plus their forwards have yet to gel convincingly. In short United have yet to find balance.
    However, I watched Ronaldo playing against Villareal and imo he hasn't lost a bit of his talent, pace or trickery. He looks as if he's just picking up where he left off from last season. I know one man doesn't make a team but Ronaldo is exactly what Man U need right now and the only way I can see chelsea losing is with him playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Any news on Berbatov? Is he available or still carrying a knee injury!!

My fantasy team all depends on it!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Think United will get a point at the very least. Lot of deluded people on here talking like they are finished or something. Champions of Europe FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Think United will get a point at the very least. Lot of deluded people on here taking like they are finished or something. Champions of Europe FFS.

You think that the bare minimum that United will get is 1 point, so you're totally ruling out them losing?, the only option is a draw or a win? and it's other people who are deluded?

Champions of Europe doesn't automatically mean you can go to Stamford Bridge and not lose. FFS! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

CHD wrote: »
    Wow this thread filled with crap pretty quickly.

Yep... this seems to be what started it...
    I will put my neck out...

UNITED WILL NOT BEAT CHELSEA.

followed by this clown...
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    You beat us on penalties in Moscow after we deserved to win. In the calender year of 2008 we have been the best team in the league MOAN MOAN MOAN

and this is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on boards
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Whoever wins a penalty shoot out is the luckier team on the day/night.

Surely you dont actually believe this? There is a reason teams like Ireland and England don't do well in penalty shootouts, and other countries such as Argentina, Germany and Brazil do well. Notice a trend there? The teams that have a better history and perhaps are better used to the pressure, tend to do better in penalty shootouts.

United beat Chelsea on the night, the fact that it was in a penalty shootout makes no difference, Chelsea lost, and it wasn't down to 'luck'.. ridiculous

Back on topic, I reckon Chelsea will take it 2-0 or 3-0... hopefully not though! Would be very happy with a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

zAbbo wrote: »
    You think that the bare minimum that United will get is 1 point, so you're totally ruling out them losing?, the only option is a draw or a win? and it's other people who are deluded?

Champions of Europe doesn't automatically mean you can go to Stamford Bridge and not lose. FFS! ;)

Ok no need to be narky. Nah even me as a Liverpool fan find it stupid that people are writing Utd off already..it's only 4-5 games into the season...we'll leave the writing off until fergie is gone me thinks;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trilla wrote: »
    Found out its okay
    Chelsea V Man Utd 21 Sep 14:00

Why is the match on so early,why isnt it on at 4pm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Ferguson is still considering whether it is the right time. Clearly it is with the results we have had this season. I really hoped we didnt need him or miss him too much at the start of the season but we do need him and the sooner he plays the better.

but he's never really been a big game player, I'd be surprised if he does anything if Fergie ends up playing him. Also, I think a lot of people are relying on Ronaldo too much, thinking now he's back he'll start banging in the goals straight away. I think theres a lot more problems with United ATM than just missing Ronnie

Hopefully I'll regret saying this and he bangs in a hat-trick :)

roryc wrote: »
    Yep... this seems to be what started it...

followed by this clown...

and this is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on boards

Surely you dont actually believe this? There is a reason teams like Ireland and England don't do well in penalty shootouts, and other countries such as Argentina, Germany and Brazil do well. Notice a trend there? The teams that have a better history and perhaps are better used to the pressure, tend to do better in penalty shootouts.

United beat Chelsea on the night, the fact that it was in a penalty shootout makes no difference, Chelsea lost, and it wasn't down to 'luck'.. ridiculous

Back on topic, I reckon Chelsea will take it 2-0 or 3-0... hopefully not though! Would be very happy with a draw
    Deluded United fans saying oh we are the champs we will totally prob win started it.

I let them know the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thank You Mulder!

Anytime

Deluded United fans saying oh we are the champs we will totally prob win started it.

Hey can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    Back on topic, I reckon Chelsea will take it 2-0 or 3-0... hopefully not though!

Don't need one, sure you even think Chelsea will win it!

Don't need one, sure you even think Chelsea will win it!

'reckon' being the operative word here... you on the other hand seem to KNOW chelsea will win, and are on a one man mission to spread 'the truth'...

would be absolutely hilarious if United hammered them 2 or 3-0, highly unlikely, but hilarious none the less. I would never consider any game against any of the top four easy, regardless of the form of either team

I don't regard it easy at all but all the signs point to a Chelsea win. Thats all i have been saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I can understand some of the skeptics rating Utd's chances tomorrow as 'slim' at best, not the best start to the season obviously, but I'm sure no one needs reminding how Utd started last season...

There is no doubt in my mind personally that Ronaldo's comeback will be significant, and it goes without saying that in Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez and Ronaldo, ManU have 4 players that can turn a game on its head with a moment of brilliance ! (I'm not suggesting that Chelsea lack these kind of players)

A lot will depend on how Utd do in the middle of the park but ill stick my neck out in predicting a cagey, bad-to-watch type of game, with a late goal (Hopefully for utd ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd be delighted with a draw. Not confident about a win tomorrow at all, it's going to be a long game.

For some unknown and absolutely pointless reason I feel a little bit more confident about tomorrow... no I'm not drunk, I'm gonna change my mind and back United to end Chelsea's home record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I like Trilla's optimism! I think I'll change my vote too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'll put it this way: I won't be surprised if Chelsea win, but I'll still be very disappointed.

Still though, I'm confident hoping the dream I had a couple of weeks ago will come true - a 1-0 win for Man Utd. I think it was Giggs who got the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well that would suggest that Giggs has to actually be on the pitch in the first place -- so I hope your dream does not come true! :D

Any thoughts on lineup folks?

Fergie talked about the dilemma he's facing vis-a-vis the back line.

With Vidic out, his options are either:

Brown
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra

or

Neville
    Brown
    Rio
    Evra

I'd probably prefer the former to be honest. Brown can be a bit bogey at CB, and Neville is not really lighting the world on fire since his return. Evans is inexperienced of course, so I'd rather there was another option, but what can ya do! He'll be out to impress, that's for certain.

We're also sans Carrick of course...

So what about the rest of the team?

Could be

VDS
    Brown----Rio----Evans----Evra

Hargreaves----Scholes---
    Ronaldo
    Nani
    Tevez

Berbatov

I think Rooney should be dropped if anyone (because Tevez hasn't had a bad game yet, and Rooney isn't doing a job on the wing), can't see it happening though. More likely he'll be on the left and the front 3 will move about, with Berbatov standing still (and hopefully scoring goals...).

Yeah, I think Rooney is too big a risk to play out of position at the moment. I think Chelsea's main threat is their midfield. I might throw Park in on the wing rather than Nani, because I think he does a better job hassling the opposition, I don't think Nani will get the time on the ball he needs from Deco, Ballack and Essien. Regarding defence, going by Wednesday, I think Evans is less of a risk than Neville. I think playing alongside Ferdinand is like playing alongside Keane was (for younger players) - ie, putting in a performance out of fear. I'd go something like:

VDS
    Brown-Evans-Ferdinand-Evra
    ----Hargreaves--Scholes----
    Ronaldo----Tevez
    Park
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the key to tomorrow will simply be some common sense from fergie

tevez/berbo/rooney

must not play together it cant get any easier for him

pick two play 442 and we'll get something

any other nonsense and we're going to get a serious lesson and possibly a bit of a hiding

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    I like Trilla's optimism! I think I'll change my vote too! :D

Should be polls with these match threads. Home Away Draw the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Is Ronaldo starting or not? This would have been a great oppurtunity for Essien to try and take an injured player out for the season Hamman style to cripple United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why is the match on so early,why isnt it on at 4pm ?

Now that I think about it ,it must be to avoid clashing with the Ryder Cup I reckon .

Now that I think about it ,it must be to avoid clashing with the Ryder Cup I reckon .

Spot on bosco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Is Ronaldo starting or not? This would have been a great oppurtunity for Essien to try and take an injured player out for the season Hamman style to cripple United

Who says Chelsea aren't a classy club.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Disgraceful thing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope the United team will be...

VDS
    Neville----Brown----Rio----Evra

Hargreaves----Scholes---
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Rooney

Tevez

I think this game requires a lot of graft up front and I feel Tevez and Rooney are therefore the best option. Berbatov could be brought on later in the game depending on how things are going.

I reckon the first goal will be very important and I can see United getting it. Scholes will need to produce a big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whats all this nonsense about dropping Rooney?
    You get Berbatov which is exactly whats needed to get the very best out of Rooney and now you are saying drop him?
    Ronaldo got all the awards last season for all the goals he scored but Rooney was the best team player for United last season. He has to play behind Berbatov, you need goals tomorrow because Chelsea will definitely be scoring.
    Go with experience at the back and in midfield for an important match like this. Trust in Rooney to deliver with a big man beside him to hold the ball up.
    Van Der Sar

Neville
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Hargreaves--- Scholes

----Ronaldo
    Nani

Rooney

Berbatov

Thats the best chance United have imo, but I still feel Chelsea are too strong for United at this stage. Carrick and Vidic are big losses for a game like this. Although if Berbatov and Rooney work out you'd just never know for sure what could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »

Van Der Sar

Neville
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Evra

Hargreaves--- Scholes

----Ronaldo
    Nani

Rooney

Berbatov

That's the strongest team Ferguson can put out IMO with the notable losses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think anderson in the middle with hargreaves is the better option. scholes was rubbish in the liverpool game and i dont think he'll fare any better against mikel, lampard and ballack. anderson would add a lot of energy and bite in the midfield which i think Utd will need to get a result today.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    i think anderson in the middle with hargreaves is the better option. scholes was rubbish in the liverpool game and i dont think he'll fare any better against mikel, lampard and ballack. anderson would add a lot of energy and bite in the midfield which i think Utd will need to get a result today.

Anderson wasn't much better tbh

I'd actually play Fletcher. He usually plays well in games when the opposition attacks

Father, forgive me for I am about to sin. I may miss the first half (if not all) of today's match, due to complicated circumstances involving a lost wallet. Arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd TEAM

VDS
    NEVILLE
    EVANS
    RIO
    EVRA
    FLETCHER
    SCHOLES
    HARGREAVES
    PARK
    ROONEY
    BERBATOV

Bench
    KUSZCZAK , BROWN , GIGGS, NANI , O SHEA TEVEZ , RONALDO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya fupped! Unless the bench contains added goodness.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not too happy tbh.

Tevez has been our best forward all season.

I think we could use the experience of Brown at centre back.

Ronaldo and Nani offer width that we have badly lacked so far. I understand Ronaldo is only coming back from injury but judging from his appearance against Villareal, he's pretty fit.

No Ronaldo? No Tevez? No Brown? Huge. And very risky.

Edit: Edit: he just appeared.

Tom65 wrote: »
    No Ronaldo? No Tevez? No Brown? Huge. And very risky.

Edit: Ronaldo isn't even on the bench? What's all this about?

he is on the bench.

We're going to be slaughtered

I really can't understand no Wes Brown. He has fitness over Neville and experience over Evans

Unearthly wrote: »
    I really can't understand no Wes Brown. He has fitness over Neville and experience over Evans

Yeah, I don't get that one at all either. Unless Fergie is showing his faith in Neville and Evans. Now really isn't the time for that though.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »

I wouldn't mind brown and evans

garry looked pretty poor going forward against the pool I can't remember a cross that made it into the box

but defensively i'd say he'll be ok

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement