Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

My work colleague wants to buy a mini cooper. Can anyone offer some general advice on these cars - the pros and cons? The car is an 04 reg, has 80,000 miles, is a 1.6 and NCT to 2010.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated - cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The car changed in September 2004, receiving a major facelift. The items upgraded on the car at the time, included the Steering Rack, Gearbox, Dashboard and Cabin, Bumpers and Lights. It's worth going for a facelifted model for asthetics alone, but the upgraded gearbox and steering rack are a boon.

Pros : Resale value, service costs, handling, power, fun factor.
    Cons : Small boot, 3 doors, heavy steering (Which some people like, I do).

Things to watch for? Clicking in the steering when going from full lock to full lock which is a sign of needing a replacement steering rack, examine the boot for water as some dealers drilled the numberplate into body which allowed water in, and open the bonnet, check the engine mountings which are oil filled for leaks.

Other than that, she'll get a cracking little motor if it's sound, and she'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

ned78 wrote: »
    Other than that, she'll get a cracking little motor if it's sound, and she'll enjoy it.

How do you know it's a she? :P

Because only a girl would ask a colleague for help choosing a car. Us men wouldn't bother, same reason we never ask for directions, and never admit we're lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Yeah but "us men" probably wouldn't be buying a Mini.

Good advice given though, have you owned such a car?

I've 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've 3.

Yes, we know Ned :D

And nice they are too. Can you show us some pics again ?

Herself's Cabrio :
    gosiamini2.JPG

My Works :
    2858723827_d603164b5a.jpg

And there's the company car, which is also a MINI. Without trying to sound like a knob, the photo of my car doesn't really show it off at all, the front end, and the interior are completely reworked to show standard, as well as the back, and under the bonnet. It's going on Modern MINI Magazine's cover in a few months, with a 4 page spread on the inside.

Sweet Mini Ned ;)

I want a Clubman but my missus hates them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MiniLover

Hi folks,

I am the 'colleague' with the mini dilemma. Really appreciate your comments. Can i ask what the standard price is for an 2004 with 80,000 miles.

I am being told the mini has €5,000 plus extras which include - Harmon Kardon Surround Sound Upgrade, Alloy Patina Dash, Leather Steering Wheel, Half Leather Sports Seats, 16" X Lite Alloys with near new dunlop runflats, Air Conditioning, Storage Pack, Chili Pack, Interior Light Pack and TLC Pack. Immaculate car inside and out..
    Metallic paintwork, Air conditioning, Radio/CD, Immobiliser, Remote locking, 16" light alloy wheels, Half leather interior, Full service history, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Sports seats..

Is this good? I am totally ignorant when it comes to cars and could really do with a bit of independent advice. Really want a mini but also want to be sure of what i'm buying!

BTW Ned, LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mini Cabrio. Wow!

MiniLover wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am the 'colleague' with the mini dilemma. Really appreciate your comments. Can i ask what the standard price is for an 2004 with 80,000 miles.

I am being told the mini has €5,000 plus extras which include - Harmon Kardon Surround Sound Upgrade, Alloy Patina Dash, Leather Steering Wheel, Half Leather Sports Seats, 16" X Lite Alloys with near new dunlop runflats, Air Conditioning, Storage Pack, Chili Pack, Interior Light Pack and TLC Pack. Immaculate car inside and out..
    Metallic paintwork, Air conditioning, Radio/CD, Immobiliser, Remote locking, 16" light alloy wheels, Half leather interior, Full service history, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Sports seats..

Is this good? I am totally ignorant when it comes to cars and could really do with a bit of independent advice. Really want a mini but also want to be sure of what i'm buying!

BTW Ned, LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mini Cabrio. Wow!

Is it a Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S or Mini One ?

• Advertisement

Mini Cooper

The X Lite alloys were standard on the Cooper S, and not an option on the Cooper, so it looks like someone fitted those after ... which is a good thing, as they have a very light unsprung weight. The Harman Kardon system is superb, I have it in mine, and rivals most aftermarket systems, plenty of bass, extra amplification, and the ability to process the sound so you can have surround sound in the car, etc.

The fact that this is an 04, with Aircon, Chili, Xlites, and HK probably means it's a UK import, so you should have the car thoroughly checked for corrosion underneath, and also to see if it has had the mileage altered/clocked.

The spec is nice, that's for sure. A price for it? I'd imagine somewhere around 16k would be fair.

Wow, you know your stuff! It is definitely brought in from the UK. I know that for certain. May seem like a stupid question but what is corrosion underneath? I am assuming that a standard mechanic would be able to check all those things out!

In the UK, they covered their icy roads in salt in the wintertime, which gets stuck under the car, and causes rust. Doesn't happen to every car there, but it's a potential hazard.

A good mechanic will be able to tell a lot for you, but definitely get it's history checked in terms of whether or not money is owed on it, and whether or not the mileage is genuine.

I will check all those things out. Thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fanwa

Was just reading your threads, you seem to know your stuff about the cars. I fell in love with a beautiful Mini last november, bought it as I had a good job then. We moved to the middle of nowhere a couple of months later and the roads are just too bad here to drive it all the time. I've been trying to sell it since February to no avail, I paid 18500 Euros for it and I've gone down to 15500 Euros, I really can't knock anymore off as I've already lost quite a bit of money, even though I barely clocked 4000 Miles, it's immaculate and gorgeous and I just don't know what to do anymore. I ended up buying a very "reliable" Megane Diesel and am now paying for 2 cars and lost my job. Can anyone help??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

The X Lite alloys were standard on the Cooper S, and not an option on the Cooper, so it looks like someone fitted those after ... which is a good thing, as they have a very light unsprung weight. The Harman Kardon system is superb, I have it in mine, and rivals most aftermarket systems, plenty of bass, extra amplification, and the ability to process the sound so you can have surround sound in the car, etc.

The fact that this is an 04, with Aircon, Chili, Xlites, and HK probably means it's a UK import, so you should have the car thoroughly checked for corrosion underneath, and also to see if it has had the mileage altered/clocked.

The spec is nice, that's for sure. A price for it? I'd imagine somewhere around 16k would be fair.

16K sounds very expensive for this car given that it has 80,000 miles on it. One should be able to get a Cooper S with 80,000 miles for less than this! To put it in context here is one with very high spec with 18,000 miles and they are asking €17,950 . . . .
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/1.6/1141259/

Anything over 14k would be madness for a car with this sort of mileage. This wouldn't be the car you're looking at OP would it by any chance?
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/Very-High/1055070/
    If so, I think if you offer 12.5k they will take your arm off!

First of all, the OP isn't looking at a Cooper S. They're looking at a Cooper. Secondly, the car you provided a link to are the pre facelifted models. The 16k I provided the OP with an example of, is meant as an asking price. Of course she can negotiate, but she asked what an average price of that car would be, and that's the answer she got.

She *could* buy the car for 14k if she's shrewd enough to haggle, but 16k would be a fair asking price.

[EDIT]Chergar, I think you've found the car in your second link - nice work!! That's a pre facelifted car, which makes the world of difference. OP, I wouldn't bother, as that has the Midlands gearbox, and the dodgy steering rack. Go for a post facelift, and one with less mileage[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

16k is a bit much for that, considering the mileage. In comparison my GF bought an 03 Cooper in Omagh for £8999, Chilli Pack, Aircon, white roof, bonnet stripes, 17' white wheels, FMSH on 39k miles. After VRT it came to just above €14k.

However, the difficulty in comparing MINIs of any spec is that no two are the same.

Regarding corrosion, since Johnny Logan won the Eurovision we invented galvanisation and underseal, and considering Irish roads get salted too, it won't make a blind bit a difference on a four year old British car.

Klaus, I see UK cars week in, week out heavily corroded underneath - arms, exhausts, hubs. Explain that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Guessing this is the one?
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/Very-High/1055070/

The fella selling it could be small time dealer looking at the surroundings.
    Don't know a pile about mini's but it looks the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hairfreak07

I'm a Mini lover too, and one of the few men in the country who proudly owns one, a 06 model in red with white stripes. So everyone says it's a girls car but I strongly disagree. I did alot of travelling this year and it seems to me that in other countries the majority of the Mini drivers are MALE - black cooer s with 17" alloys, air vent, tiwn chrome exhaust, sunroof and leather interior, WOW!!! This says something about the Irish men (no offence).. And what's the point of driving an Impreza and FTO or whatever in a country without proper highways or autobahn? Young fellas with their supped up civic and celica, man that was only cool in the early 90s..

Should definitely import from the UK, lots of choices, the sterling is weak and the basic price is lower too. Also, the large decrease in VRT for all 08 models and reduced in road tax (Mini Cooper cost €150/yr compares to €430/yr on the older models..). Can save about €4,000 in total.

Pay AA to check for corrosion and stuff before you make the purchase. If you want a convertible then I suggest you to wait a demo next year, as all 09 cabrios will have the new chassis and interior like the 07 08 mini coopers.

Beware that the Mini E (electric) could be in production in about 2-3 years, good for the environment.. Happy hunting.

Hairfreak

Advertisement