Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax options

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

As I was getting my car serviced recently the garage owner was mentioning how some people with higher emission motors are taxing them as limousines etcetera.

Now I checked online for details of this and could find nowt - I saw that hackneys or taxis pay €77 road tax annually.

I know registering car as a limo/hackney and not declaring same to insurance would be naughty and not proposing that, just curious for experiences/opinions of people who have done the above?

It might be the case that the low road tax and higher insurance premiums work out cheaper anyway plus one could always take on a 'fare' the odd time as well.

Just looking at nice, 2nd hand cars like audi a8 diesels etc. but the 2000 euro a year in road tax ain't all that appealing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well it would invalidate your insurance as your policy is for social and domestic use only in most cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I know that hence why one could alter the insurance policy. Point is 2000 - 77 maybe a lot more than the difference in the increase on the insurance etcetera!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Guvnor wrote: »
    As I was getting my car serviced recently the garage owner was mentioning how some people with higher emission motors are taxing them as limousines etcetera.

Now I checked online for details of this and could find nowt - I saw that hackneys or taxis pay €77 road tax annually.

I know registering car as a limo/hackney and not declaring same to insurance would be naughty and not proposing that, just curious for experiences/opinions of people who have done the above?

It might be the case that the low road tax and higher insurance premiums work out cheaper anyway plus one could always take on a 'fare' the odd time as well.

Just looking at nice, 2nd hand cars like audi a8 diesels etc. but the 2000 euro a year in road tax ain't all that appealing.

Surely you can't get a second hand 2008 A8 already!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do you also need a different type of licence. PSV, to drive a hackney?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guvnor wrote: »

second hand A8's are in the old engine cc tax bracket unless of course you are thinking of buying a 2008 model second hand??

also to tax your car as a limo, taxi hack etc you need to have proper taxi insurance, also a PSV licence and a PSV nct certificate, you cant tax a PSV without any of those three.
    imo the garage owner didnt know what he was talking about, for a limo to be taxed im sure you need some sort of limo insurance which i reakon would be much higher than private social and domestic insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

from
    http://www.taxi.ie/applying-taxi-license-Dublin.shtml
    REQUIREMENTS FOR LIMOUSINE LICENCE

• Requirements for vehicle to be in limousine category – must be at least 1900 c.c. and be evidently suited by its style and condition to be used for ceremonial occasions or for corporate or other prestige purposes (S.I. 316 of 1999 as amended by S.I. 255 of 2000)
    • Your vehicle has to be certified by NCT as suitable to be licensed for a limousine. This includes certification in relation to road worthiness.
    • You are required to produce evidence to the Local Authority that the vehicle is insured as a limousine.
    • You are required to produce a Tax Clearance Certificate. Tax clearance requirements Section 37 (1) of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003.
    • You are required to pay the appropriate licence fee which is €250.
    • Local authority will grant licence subject to the above, and provide the external sign which must be affixed to the rear of the vehicle.
    • No other external signage or advertising is permitted
    • All requirements are set out in (S.I. 316 of 1999 as amended by 255 of 2000 and 367 of 2000)

LICENCE APPLICATION

Application for a small public service vehicle licence is made to the Local Authority in the area where the applicant proposes to operate. The present fees set for grant of vehicle licence are €6,300 for taxi licence, €125 for wheelchair accessible taxi licence and €250 for hackney or limousine vehicle licence. The present fee for the renewal of all categories of small public service vehicle licence is €125.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Speedy007

I think it may effect the re-sale value, if it has been taxed as a taxi. Surely, if you can afford a high value car then you have to take into consideration the high running costs too. Seriously, if you have a spare 80-100k lying around then annual road tax of 2K is small stuff !!!

Advertisement