Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renovation

Options
  • 18-09-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

i have a 1940's raleigh that i would like to restore to original condition.
    does anyone know where i could get this done in ireland or england?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

To restore a bike of that age you're looking at dozens of hours of work, not to mention sourcing period parts if necessary. That will work out extremely expensive if you even find someone to take on the task. It might be doable as a DIY project though.

Here's one account of doing a similar job:
    http://homepages.tesco.net/houseofsteel/hercules.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I've been trying to find someone to restore my old raliegh chopper for a while now(half assed attempts really!). I think i've found a guy in the UK.
    The problem i've found is that there's no money to be made in restoration so you've got to find someone with the interest, skills and the time to take on the project.
    Do as much as you can yourself, keep everything and get a proper respray.
    I'll post something if i get the chopper sorted.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I know an Italian in Cork who renovates old bikes. The problem is the last question you ask is 'How Much'. I have seen some of his work. You need to really want the old bike to make the financial commitment.

Getting genuine or equivalent parts is a serious challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carmo13

can u give me his contact number?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

Bob Jackson in leeds

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

or

Mercian

http://www.merciancycles.com/renovation.asp

These are your best bet, fixed prices from two of the top English steel bike makers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's an old black roadster try squarewheels in temple bar, push rods for the brakes are hard to get these days though

am still looking for someone to tackle this job. any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

How come you're so interested in restoring the bike? Does it have sentimental value?

How much are you prepared to invest in the project?

yes morgan it does. my mothers uncle bought it new and i've had it since
    he died. moneywise i'm not sure. am thinking of diss-assembling it myself and getting
    it renovated piece by piece but would prefer to get it done all together.

Advertisement