Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pool Vs. Sea - which do you prefer

• 18-09-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

I often mull over the pros and cons of both. I wonder what other people think.
    • Pool is warm, near perfect visability, relatively stable surface, and easy to measure distance swam. Downers are hitting walls all the time, crowding, chlorine.
    • Sea is natural, makes me feel more alive and I can stroke away and get lost in my thoughts en route to a far away target. Downers are jellyfish, low vis, choppy and cold.
    All in the balance, I prefer sea - but I will have to retire back soon to the pool with dipping Autumn temperatures. Anyone else got a preference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Personally, I love the "one with nature" feeling of OW swimming, particularly as it is getting harder to do a pool session without a number of others for company in the lanes.

One thing that I have noticed is that I don't go near the sea anymore without the tri wet suit. It has become such a crutch that even when messing around in the surf with the kids, I'm in the bat suit:-(

Plenty of dodgy looks through out the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

For me its got to be the pool purely for visibility. Temperature etc of the sea is no problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DolphinMasters

The idea of OW being a contact sport kinda puts me off it so I think I'm a pool swimmer for sure. Though saying that more and more masters swimmers I know are getting to like the OW - one even did an 8K swim :eek: this summer!

Also not keen on the whole wet suit thing - so used to a swim suit now I would feel a bit strange wearing one. But I suppose it's something you could get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Sea FTW.

Some of the most enjoyable swims I had this year were in rough conditions

Dropping temperatures? The sea was as warm in Dublin yesterday as it's going to get all year. October and November aren't too bad either - though getting changed in November is chilly air temp wise. Check out http://www.met.ie/marine/marine_climatology.asp

That said the majority of my winter mileage will be in the pool with a dip in the sea once a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement