Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas - McCain and Obama to be removed from ballot?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

So it appears that both McCain and Obama have violated Texas election laws. The laws state that all candidates must file to be placed on the ballot 70 days before the election. Both candidates missed this deadline as they were not officially nominated until after this.

By law this means they should not appear on the ballot leaving only Bob Barr.
    Now I know this is all a bit stupid but isn't the law the law? If they were both removed this would pretty much guarantee that John McCain cannot win the election...hard to imagine him getting to 270 with nothing from Texas.

It could mean that neither candidate reaches 270, leaving congress (or is it the senate?) to decide the matter. Meaning Obama wins anyway.
    Of course Obama can't press the issue and demand they are both taken off as that would piss off so many people that he would lose but Bob Barr is making noises about it.

*yeah, I am bored today*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Please let them uphold the law, just this once. :D

Surely this was a deliberate move though, how can either campaign be this stupid?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They could always change the law. Seems a more likely scenario. I can't imagine the good citizens of the Great State of Texas being too happy about being effectively disenfranchised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Since when has the law gotten in the way of an election? :)

Advertisement