Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uefa cup predictions?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

any takers on over all winner of the comp? i know its not fully decided who takes part yet with the champs league teams to still come in but any body wanna throw a name into the hat?
    some big names in the comp.....
    milan?
    dortmund?
    ajax?
    seville?
    galatasary?

and a result for tonights game at the lane?
    i predict a one goal win tonight maybe a one nil to the super spurs!

which prem league side will go the furtherst?
    city, villa, everton, pompey or spurs?(i know we all want the latter but humour me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I'm gonna say Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm ashamed to say I almost don't care about the game tonight - that's what this season so far has done for me. I've felt since before the start of the season that Villa would be the pick of the bunch outside the top 4 - they have bought the exact players they needed, in the positions they needed, have a very good manager, and they're all up for it, so I believe they'll go the furthest and I think will finish at least 5th this season.

Just goes to show you how a team that has the right type of players playing in their natural positions can do. Having said that, I could be way off and overly pessimistic due to our crap start. It's a long season and we still have a lot of games to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Spurs to win 3 nil tonight.
    Spurs to go further than any other English team in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Spurs to win 2 or 3 nil tonight. I think spurs will do best out of english teams tbh because we've plenty of experience from the last couple of seasons. I have seen Hamburg play in pre season this year and in the bundesliga and they're a handful, they play good football and I think they could do very well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

spurs 2 - 0 bently first goal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

We need to win by 2 clear goals.

These guys beat Barcalona 1-0 when they played them in Poland.

Most important is not concede any goals.

I'm watching it on Setanta, just saw Micky Hazzard driving his Taxi.
    I'd love to have his creative skills on show for us tonight.

AC Milan are the favs for the competition at 2/1,

We are 2nd favs at 5/1 and Villa are 20/1

I think we will go further than other english club as we are more suited to playing the european way.

:pac: COME ON YE SPURS
    spurs.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

i agree with most of ye here that spurs will win tonight
    and i reckon by 2 or 3 goals easy. the important thing is to
    not concede as the away leg in poland could be very
    tricky. i know that they beat barca there but it must be
    pointed out that barca won the 1st leg 4-0 so the job
    was alreay done
    i also reckon we are serious contenders to win the whole
    competition. by the group stages we should have hit full
    stride and a good match for any team
    we need silverware this year again after all the investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

what think ye all of this game?

unfortunetly i didnt get to see it and had to be content with the spurs match tracker on the web site.

probably the best side available tonight. a win was needed and lets hope its a sign of whats to come.

how did the team play?
    was the goal disallowed a correct decision?
    are we happy??

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

We were terrible once again,cambell liked lively when he came on but that was about the only bright spot,jenas was useless,defense all over the place,king looked like heather mills running around the pitch,the lad needs to retire or something at this stage cause he's fcuk all good to us!Bentlys forgotten how to cross a ball

Thought it would never end!Shocking game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

RAUL DUKE wrote: »
    We were terrible once again,cambell liked lively when he came on but that was about the only bright spot,jenas was useless,defense all over the place,king looked like heather mills running around the pitch,the needs to retire or something at this stage cause he's fcuk all good to us!Bentlys forgotten how to cross a ball

Thought it would never end!Shocking game!

i was a little disappointed by bentleys delivery on monday too.

on king it must be hard to get left out regularly and expected to play well when put in. a lot of rumours done the rounds last year he might not make a come back this year.

shocking game... looks like i didnt miss much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

i totally agree with the duke, really like the heather mills comment
    you touched on the bentley thing. why is he taking every corner and free kick whe he is yet to find a white shirt with any of them, must say he took his goal well though.
    had best possible team out tonight but they looked like total strangers to each other as if it was their first time playing together
    i worry that a 1 goal lead is not good enough to go away from home with especially seens that they have an away goal in the bag
    looks like our only chance of silverware this season is yet again the carling (wouldn't even drink if i was an alco) cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

A win is a win.

OK we didn't play lovely football, but it will take time for them to blend as an attractve attacking force.

It was a gutsy performance, they could have dropped their heads after conceeding a goal so quickly after scoring.

We scored two good goals and had a beautiful goal wrongly struck off.

What worried me most tonight was Ledley's movement, looks like the knee injury was giving him grief.

Though he still made some good clearances.

Woody was my man of the match.

Let's do Wigan Sunday.
    spurs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

rocky25 wrote: »
    What worried me most tonight was Sol's movement, looks like the knee injury was giving him grief.
    spurs.gif

?????

What worried me most tonight was Sol's movement, looks like the knee injury was giving him grief.
    spurs.gif

?????????
    Don't know about Sol (haven't written that name in years), but I thought Ledley was limping even as he led the team in the "shake-hands" before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Spurs to win 3 nil tonight.
    RingoSpur wrote: »
    Spurs to win 2 or 3 nil tonight.
    spurs 2 - 0 bently first goal
    We need to win by 2 clear goals.
    dantes74 wrote: »
    i agree with most of ye here that spurs will win tonight
    and i reckon by 2 or 3 goals easy.

I was wondering why there was no discussion of this game in the main forum until I remembered this place. Good to see ye weren't short on confidence though! :rolleyes:

I actually watched it, and have to say Wisla were much better than I would have imagined (though I guess one shouldn't automatically assume that the Polish league is muck I guess :pac:). They looked to pass and be creative and put some very nice moves together. Their goal - though maybe owing a little to a lack of Spurs concentration following the opener - was well worked and finished with aplomb. Their skipper and center half also looked like a good, combative player and seemed to organize things well for the most part.

On the other hand, and accepting that ye weren't at full strength, they seemed to have acres of space and time on the ball in the middle of the park. You guys don't seem to have much toughness in that department and don't appear to close down well as a unit. It would seem to me that it is a bit of a cardinal sin to allow a team of their pedigree to settle comfortably into an away European tie. I thought ye should have come out and opened the game at a very high tempo and pressed them hard for the first half hour.

As a plus point, Bentley and Lennon give ye a lot of pace and are weapons. Plus Woodgate is a beast at the back. Overall though, I wouldn't consider you a lock for the next leg. If they could force a goal from a setpiece early they would be able to sit and play on the break. And, as far as I understand, while their stadium is small the home fans are noisy (think Thomond Park for Munster rugby games).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And, as far as I understand, while their stadium is small the home fans are noisy (think Thomond Park for Munster rugby games).

I believe they were quite "noisy" (CF Sky News) tonight also!

Advertisement