Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on rehoming kitten

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Advice please, we already have two adult cats and we have a three month old kitten which we rescued, the plan was to rehome this kitten as we feel three cats might be excessive in our lil house. The kitten has been with us for six weeks and has been living indoors, allowed out occasionally under supervision. A family with young kids, oldest of which is five are interested in having him, problem is he wont be allowed indoors but he will be sleeping in a comfortable garage. Firstly do you think he will be okay not having the same level of comfort and affection he is used to, and secondly are these kids to young to have him as he is extremely playful and scratches a lot. I take comfort in the fact that they are a nice family and the cat will be looked after and not neglected, but I guess I am just a softie and have qualms about letting him go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Comfortable garage my arse.

The problem isn't that a bed is a bed and is comfortable wherever it is. The problem is that cats kept as outdoor cats and allowed to wander have considerably shorter lifespans than indoor cats.

Don't let him go to a home where he's allowed to wander. You're reducing his chance of long-term survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zipy

Ha you're funny, thanks for reply. My thoughts exactly. We are in the midlands so if anyone thinks they could provide this kitten with a safe and comfortable home pls contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Why can't you just keep him?
    really cats are such small animals 3 of them isn't many. I think once there is one it doesn't really make much difference to have a couple more. my cousin has 17 cats in her house!

It really would be traumatic for the cat making him live with somebody else, he is probably happy with you and your other cats so why not just let him stay?

Here is a pic, would he not just melt your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Heart melted on sight:D
    Please keep him , as Kerrysgold said 3 is much the same as 2, only better.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

he is gorgeous, he doesn't really look like he wants to move house..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Yeah , you just get to know the Look.;)
    Hence me keeping 5.:rolleyes:
    Had to learn to say no , but that was after 5.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I wouldn't rehome any animal if I was unsure of the care that it would be given.

If you have to rehome him don't stop untill you've found one you're completely happy with.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bip

Do not get rid of that kitten he is GORGEOUS!!! Oh I wish our cat wasn't so bossy and unsociable or I'd definitly offer to take him!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

zipy wrote: »
    Here is a pic, would he not just melt your heart.

What a cutie!

I don't think homing him somewhere where he'll be living in a garage is a good idea and I don't think a 5 year old child is really old enough to know how to properly handle an animal, never mind the younger siblings.

I think you should keep this little guy if you can, otherwise only home him somewhere where you're 100% happy he will get the proper care he needs.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies folks, he is definitely not going to that family I mentioned, for now he remains with us, problem is he is not gelling so well with our two older cats. Our 4 yr old female is as cranky and just growls at him while our 18 mth old male is as sweet as pie and the kitten terrorises him. We love him to bits, for now he sleeps in the spare room due to his exuberant nature. Ideally we want to find him a suitable home where he could be Top Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

zipy wrote: »
    Thanks for replies folks, he is definitely not going to that family I mentioned, for now he remains with us, problem is he is not gelling so well with our two older cats. Our 4 yr old female is as cranky and just growls at him while our 18 mth old male is as sweet as pie and the kitten terrorises him. We love him to bits, for now he sleeps in the spare room due to his exuberant nature. Ideally we want to find him a suitable home where he could be Top Cat.
    Definitely keep the little guy - it would be fairly cruel to move him on. New arrivals can put cats' noses out of joint, but they get used to it. The reverse can also apply - i.e. the new arrival may not be happy to discover they're not the only one. I brought home a neglected fella who went into a hissing, spitting strop when I "introduced" him to the cat already living there. But he got used to her very quickly and learned to be civil :D

Another time I got a kitten who was greeted with hostility by the cat already there but again, they got used to each other - and in fact they became very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Dudess - how long did it take your cats to get along ok? (I'm in the middle of a cat war for the last week and I'm finding it v. stressful!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hmmm... I can't put an exact time on it MsFifers - two weeks maybe. If not, less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

MsFifers wrote: »
    Dudess - how long did it take your cats to get along ok? (I'm in the middle of a cat war for the last week and I'm finding it v. stressful!)

I have 7 cats- 6 siamese & orientals and one 'normal' (Siamese and Oriental don't qualify as normal, they are mental).It takes between 2-3 weeks to get it all settled..but it shuld start settling in within a week, only showing the occasional hiss and scratch when passing each other...sometimes it helps to seperate them to ease the tension a bit for an hour or 2...

Advertisement