Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Unbroken. Lunging exceptionally well over poles."

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I see this phrase all the time when looking at ads of horses for sale!!

it does my head in... how could an unbroken horse be lunging exceptionally well over poles??? surely they need to be broken to lunge exceptionally well, never mind over poles.?

Id never go see a horse with this phrase in the ad. Makes them sound like chancers.! rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont like the term 'broken' anyway. It has horrible connotations.

'lunging', 'backed', 'schooling' are the terms I'd be more inclined to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

i have to say.. to me broken is backed and riding well

ive had 3yrolds here that were lunging and jumping out of their skins over fences, but hadnt been back. and avertised as such. i suppose it all depends on what you think broken means. i know if someone told me a horse was broken and lunging well over poles, and i went to see it i wouldnt be impressed if it can around to being told well no sorry its not backed yet.

i have an unbroken pony at home, she was barely backed as a 3yr old then turned away and been out since. she does get lunged as exercise a far bit and shes been used to teach people to lunge, but if she was being sold there is no way in hell id sell her as anything but unbroken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

To me broken in (prefer the term trained really, broken sounds like you just beat the horse up until it let you ride him or something!) means backed and ridden, knows the aids etc.

you can lunge a horse and work with it on the ground, maybe it just hasn't been backed but has had tack on and been lunged, long reined etc.

I don't like the idea of jumping a 3 year old but I suppose just putting it over a small x pole once or twice isn't too bad as long as it is left alone after that until it's aged 4 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

i have to say.. to me broken is backed and riding well.

That's exactly my interpretation of 'broken' too. However, most ads will say that horses/ponies are broken and riding, rather than just broken.

Well handled would suggest lunging, etc.

A lot of people would school horses/ponies over poles on a lunge rope before they're backed so that when the time they are backed they know how to jump properly, etc. so it's not so traumatic when a rider on their back asks them to do it.
    One horse we had used to jump over the feed trough as a foal in the field... was very funny to watch... Needless to say she was a fantastic jumper when she got older!

Advertisement