Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin Appoints Cow Lover?

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Although Palin's qualifications have been questioned, what qualifications does she insist upon when making appointments as Governor? See NY Times report:

By JO BECKER, PETER S. GOODMAN AND MICHAEL POWELL
    updated 4:17 p.m. PT, Sat., Sept. 13, 2008

"WASILLA, Alaska - Gov. Sarah Palin lives by the maxim that all politics is local, not to mention personal.

So when there was a vacancy at the top of the State Division of Agriculture, she appointed a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, to the $95,000-a-year directorship. A former real estate agent, Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as one of her qualifications for running the roughly $2 million agency.

Ms. Havemeister was one of at least five schoolmates Ms. Palin hired, often at salaries far exceeding their private sector wages.

When Ms. Palin had to cut her first state budget, she avoided the legion of frustrated legislators and mayors. Instead, she huddled with her budget director and her husband, Todd, an oil field worker who is not a state employee, and vetoed millions of dollars of legislative projects."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Crusaderjim

If I was an American citizen I would be growing very uncomfortable with the ease in which these relevations about Palin are being discovered. Its amazing to think that the Republicans could not have found another more capable woman within their organisation than this.
    Michael Thomasky had an interesting snippet about Palin in the Guardian the other day and I think it probably sums up the Republican campaign so far...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2008/sep/17/johnmccain.sarahpalin

(also gives a link to the Washington Post which is worth a gander)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Got to say that a paper that has had a veritable love in with one of the candidates for the last year and a half, has a cheek in addressing the vexed question of "objective media".

The most interesting point in that for me is the Obama message which I also think has become more confusing over the last while or so. It also has the phrase "Senator McCain" an awful lot in it.

As for the article I don't disagree with some of the comments. However seeing as he was taking pot shots at candidate support for Wall Street he should also have mentioned that the Dems are huge beneficiaries of the largesse of Wall Street, especially from private equity funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as one of her qualifications for running the roughly $2 million agency.

"When I grow up, I'm going to go to Bovine University!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Another 3 days and any credibility as a candidate or future president will be well and truly gone imo.

Another 3 days and any credability as a candidate or future president will be well and truly gone imo.

As my mother would say 'please god..'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

I don't believe all this anti Mccain/Palin propaganda.90% of the media(and most of the contributers on here)are liberals.McCain will win despite all the pro Obama media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Speer wrote: »
    I don't believe all this anti Mccain/Palin propaganda.90% of the media(and most of the contributers on here)are liberals.McCain will win despite all the pro Obama media.

Oh I wish I could also not believe the facts as well. It would make the outcome of McCain winning less frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Speer wrote: »

Erm ... most of the US media are actually right-of-centre. It's just that fox is so far over to the right that it makes them look further left than they actually are.

As for most of the contributors here? Most are not American I would hazard at a guess, and not dependent on the US media machine for their daily news. So I would counter that your smear word of "liberal" doesn't really apply.

Edit: Out of curiosity; I would like your definition of what constitutes a "liberal" please, because I am sick to f*cking death of the use of this word to describe anyone who isn't a GOP/PNAC fanboi. It's like a modern, bastardized version of godwin's law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Lemming wrote: »
    Erm ... most of the US media are actually right-of-centre. It's just that fox is so far over to the right that it makes them look further left than they actually are.

As for most of the contributors here? Most are not American I would hazard at a guess, and not dependent on the US media machine for their daily news. So I would counter that your smear word of "liberal" doesn't really apply.

Edit: Out of curiosity; I would like your definition of what constitutes a "liberal" please, because I am sick to f*cking death of the use of this word to describe anyone who isn't a GOP/PNAC fanboi. It's like a modern, bastardized version of godwin's law.

as ive said before , cnn , cnbc , cbs are only liberal compared to fox news in the same way alaska is only hot compared to vladivostok

• Advertisement
Advertisement