Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling NI car in ROI

Options
  • 18-09-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone with a knowledge of VRT can help me.

I reside in NI and have an NI registered car...and someone in ROI who wants to buy it. Am I able to VRT the car as a foreign resident and then sell it or must I sell it to an Irish resident first, who is then able to VRT it themself? I can't find anything about the possibility of VRT-ing the car as a non-resident for sale purposes.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you're not resident here, you can't register the car here and so you can't pay the vehicle registration tax either (otherwise it would be an import/export tax and that WOULD be illegal :D)

The buyer will have to sort out VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks Peasant...I thought that was probably the case, I hope the buyer is receptive to the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What if the person selling the car is Irish but the car is registered to there NI address which they no longer have, can and Irish Resident sell a NI reg car to another Irish Resident? How does the transfer of ownership work?

ellscurr, your hardly looking at buying another NI car?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

What if the person selling the car is Irish but the car is registered to there NI address which they no longer have, can and Irish Resident sell a NI reg car to another Irish Resident? How does the transfer of ownership work?

ellscurr, your hardly looking at buying another NI car?;)

But sure the Irish resident who owns the NI car can VRT it first and then sell it as an Irish reg car to the other Irish resident. You have to fill in the permanent export section of the V5 to let DVLNI know it's leaving the jurisdiction and not coming back.

And yes I am as it happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ellscurr wrote: »
    But sure the Irish resident who owns the NI car can VRT it first and then sell it as an Irish reg car to the other Irish resident. You have to fill in the permanent export section of the V5 to let DVLNI know it's leaving the jurisdiction and not coming back.

And yes I am as it happens :D

<Snip>

<Snip>

you never know who could be reading....

• Advertisement
Advertisement