Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet PCTV

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Dont give up just ring up the guys in customer support, its a brand new pack so you might need to talk to them for the inns and outs of your own set up.

Hope this helps.

Do you have a firewall which may be holding back your PCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

Hi, thanks for the reply. I do not have a firewall running on the local PC
    or the broadband router. It is connecting OK, I am getting the EPG but I do not think the server is broadcasting.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has managed to get live tv.

Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nicamuke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Orig Poster , Did you get this sorted ?

Have exact same issue see image attached ... all channels show this message.

Has anyone got this working ? Magnet support said to check firewall and media player was up to date.

I did both and still same result.

I'd really like to get this working

• Advertisement

Lads if u dont get it sorted give me a shout (PM).....it could be a hardware prob but i can look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Has this ever actually worked for anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Got same error as ye guys, would be a nice to have alright, I have installed it on both OSX and Vista, both are behind another Wireless Router and they said in Magnet support that you need to be connected via ethernet to the Magnet Router. I tried this with my laptop and got the same error as the op.

hostyle wrote: »
    Has this ever actually worked for anyone?

its working for a lot of people but it is very new stuff so it does need more polishing...is there anywhere in particular ur getting stuck?

WezzyB wrote: »
    Got same error as ye guys, would be a nice to have alright, I have installed it on both OSX and Vista, both are behind another Wireless Router and they said in Magnet support that you need to be connected via ethernet to the Magnet Router. I tried this with my laptop and got the same error as the op.

are u hitting a problem at the password screen or somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Rorser wrote: »
    are u hitting a problem at the password screen or somewhere else?

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as already posted. Every TV channel gives the message "This channel is currently not broadcasting". Magnet LLU customer. Connected via wireless or ethernet - makes no difference.

And its hardly new - its been out at least 3 months now. The onsite Help/FAQ is completely unhelpful.

I'm still not working , same error as above "channel not broadscasting"... magnet support asked me to check my graphics card and firewall and then said they'd need to escalate to another engineer. Then they closed my incident and i've not heard back. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has got this working, perhaps post a screenshot or something....

LizardKing wrote: »
    I'm still not working , same error as above "channel not broadscasting"... magnet support asked me to check my graphics card and firewall and then said they'd need to escalate to another engineer. Then they closed my incident and i've not heard back. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has got this working, perhaps post a screenshot or something....

Please feel free to send me a PM and i can chase the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

Hi all, still have the same problem. Getting the message
    "This channel is currently not broadcasting"

The interesting thing is the channels are listed and the program name that is current broadcasting is displayed.
    Its like I am getting something but not the pic. Has anyone managed to get it working?

Tony.

yeah me too ... I have Magnet support looking at it currently , hopefully they can sort it soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Did anyone even get the application to launch on Vista? Every time i try just comes up "Magnet PCTV has stopped working, Then a prompt to close th e program". De installed and re installed numerous times, same issue. Even tried to run the program in compatibility mode for XP. Nothing happening. I am running 32 bit Home Premium.

I got it to run/open up on Vista Home Premium , it shows the program guide but no programs are broadcasting so its not working .. magnet still looking into it for me ...

Bag of ****e so. Whatever way you look at it. You think these things would be completely de bugged and tested before they launch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

they didn't exactly advertise that it doesn't work on Macs either!

uberwolf wrote: »
    they didn't exactly advertise that it doesn't work on Macs either!

Yeah i know. The app wouldnt load for me on Vista, so i clicked the link for the Mac version (have an old powerbook) , and i noticed they dont even have the software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    Bag of ****e so. Whatever way you look at it. You think these things would be completely de bugged and tested before they launch them.

If you are bored (possibly by the TV content that does work :) ) you can read the comments here on IPTV
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456897

IPTV is still a work in Progress. The GOOD news is that it can work on Magnet FIBRE and Smart FIBRE. You need to be very close to exchange with very good line for this stuff to work on DSL though.

watty wrote: »
    If you are bored (possibly by the TV content that does work :) ) you can read the comments here on IPTV

IPTV is still a work in Progress. The GOOD news is that it can work on Magnet FIBRE and Smart FIBRE. You need to be very close to exchange with very good line for this stuff to work on DSL though.

Thats cool ill check it out. I am actually in a newish development that has the fibre to the home. I get my tv, phone and broadband in a pack. TV and Phone are IP as well.

watty wrote: »

This thread would be on PCTV (i.e. TV on your Laptop) rather than IPTV coming through a set top box onto a conventional TV.

This thread would be on PCTV (i.e. TV on your Laptop) rather than IPTV coming through a set top box onto a conventional TV.

I understand that. As Magnet are offering the PCTV to subscribers. And i am a subscriber. Lizard was just saying that you need a pretty good connection for it to work. And i was just telling him i have Fibre, 8MB up and down contention free. But the issue was that Magnets PCTV service that they launched just doesnt work.

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    I understand that. As Magnet are offering the PCTV to subscribers. And i am a subscriber. Lizard was just saying that you need a pretty good connection for it to work. And i was just telling him i have Fibre, 8MB up and down contention free. But the issue was that Magnets PCTV service that they launched just doesnt work.

... i am also a magnet subscriber (no other choice where i live) who has tried to get PCTV to work on fibre connection ... I 've still to hear from anyone who has actually gotten this to work yet on pc / laptop ... Fuzzballs you contact Magnet support yet ? Getting anywhere with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi,

It doesn't work for me either on the Dooradoyle, Limerick exchange using DSL with 10Mbit product.

I'm getting 10Mit/sec no problem on download.
    I've tried with no firewall on Laptop and direct cable connection to DSL modem, so that PC has an internet IP (not 192.168.x.y).

The message I get on XP is:

"Channel off-air"
    "! This Channel is currently not broadcasting"

The EPG does work though.

So, it doesn't work for anyone on the magnet network?

regards,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a variant of Magnet's Setbox IPTV that uses a client SW on the PC to emulate the IPTV setbox. Hence the EPG and need for fast connection.

I'm not sure why they'd release an application that does not work at all .. unless we are being used as guinea pigs , unwittingly beta testing there pctv solution perhaps ;-)

Still not working ... Magnet have decided to disregard and not reply to my requests for updates now ... which is rather infuriating :mad:

If anyone actually gets this to work please, please, please post a screenshot ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

Hi All,

I was having a similar problem when trying to use this service.

I found out that it doesn't work over wireless networks. You need to be wired into the net connection to get it. ie with a network cable from computer into router.

All info is here:

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/pctv/index.htm

Here's a screenshot

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3354/magnetpctv.jpg

To my surprise it now works over the wireless network but it does stutter and then gives a low bandwidth warning.

Advertisement