Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the "spice" in spice burgers

Options
  • 18-09-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody have a recipe or at least know or guess some of the herbs & spices that are in Walsh's spiceburgers? The smell is very distinctive but I haven't a clue what it is. (and yes I know it is junk and many despise the smell!)

The ingredients have meat, breadcrumbs and just "herbs & spices", no listing of what anything is.

spiceburger6pk.jpg

http://www.walshfamilyfoods.ie/chilled_spiceburger.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MSG:D

Sorry its been a while since I have had one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine the spices used are something like what are used for spiced beef (I've never had a spice burger but for some reason that the taste is something similar)
    Here's the ingredients for spiced beef.

• 2½-3 kgs (5-6 lbs) eye of the round, topside or silverside of beef
    • 75g (3 oz) brown sugar
    • 25g (1 oz) black peppercorns
    • 12g (½ oz) allspice berries
    • 25g (1 oz) juniper berries
    • 12g (½ oz) ground cloves
    • 12g (½ oz) salt
    • 12g (½ oz) saltpetre (available from pharmacies)
    You could probably leave out the saltpetre and juniper berries

Am I close??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

not by a long shot i'd reckon. spiced beef doesnt taste like spice burgers. spice burgers are mostly bready yokes, very nice in a roll w/ butter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Tree wrote: »
    not by a long shot i'd reckon. spiced beef doesnt taste like spice burgers. spice burgers are mostly bready yokes, very nice in a roll w/ butter

Agreed!
    Dont know anyone besides me but my mam who likes them though...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    MSG:D
    No MSG in them actually!

They are not much like spiced beef, but thanks for the tip.

Spice burgers are in nearly every chipper, I am always surprised at the amount of people who have never had them, yet if you ask if they ever had a batter burger it's "of course I have!"

They stink the fridge out too if not wrapped up right after opening. Many presume they are veggie since there is no blood and they do look like stuffing.

I think a stuffing recipe is the closest you could get, that is what they most remind me of, proper stuffing with sausage meat, though they use beef.

Must be one or 2 herbs that make up the bulk of the taste, might have to start raiding the press and sniffing out herbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Count me as one whose never even heard of them let alone eaten one. I've never had a batter burger either, I value my health too much :D

I'd imagine the spices are there to cover up the fact that were it not for them, it'd taste like warmed up cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Next person to dis the awsomeness of Spice Burgers is banned.

They are particularly nice in a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I always thought spice burgers were meat-free? Or at least any of the ones I've ever had at a chipper were basically like a stuffing cake, flattened, egg-washed and crumbed and then deep fried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

[QUOTE=Minesajackdaniels;57304672]I always thought spice burgers were meat-free? Or at least any of the ones I've ever had at a chipper were basically like a stuffing cake, flattened, egg-washed and crumbed and then deep fried.[/QUOTE]

So did I, until I tried to give them to my veggie gf, she pointed to the ingredients.

I always thought spice burgers were meat-free? Or at least any of the ones I've ever had at a chipper were basically like a stuffing cake, flattened, egg-washed and crumbed and then deep fried.
    I had a veggie mate who thought they were too, it is right there on the pack, no secret and in the link I gave, they come from the one company, I have never seen a chipper make their own, but perhaps some might. It is a narrow thick burger with red breadcrumbs, some cut them in 2, the pack says to cut them in 2 and fry.

They are about 60% meat I think, so it is like proper christmas stuffing with sausage meat. This is why I think it odd more do not like them, some I know would point blank refuse to try them! It is just like a stuffing burger I suppose.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    No MSG in them actually!.

Now that's a surprise
    They are about 60% meat I think, so it is like proper christmas stuffing with sausage meat. This is why I think it odd more do not like them, some I know would point blank refuse to try them! It is just like a stuffing burger I suppose.

Maybe they where a little dubious on the source/type/quality of the meat in them

Maybe they where a little dubious on the source/type/quality of the meat in them
    I would say half them don't know there is meat in them! Even if they do they would have no problem eating stuffing with equally dubious sausage meat in them.

I think it is more that they look like junk food (and are TBH, but so is stuffing so), but maybe more that appear for kids, or just too cheapy for their "high class tastes". My sister refuses to buy ketchup yet eats it on the sly all the time. I remember her having a BBQ and having no ketchup out, all these fancy ballymaloe and M&S sauces were out, I brought the heinz ketchup out and all her mates were lashing into it, much to her disgust!

You have to have ketchup at a BBQ, I do like ballymaloe relish but ketchup is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tree wrote: »

:o

Well, if anyone fancies making spiced beef???

:o

Well, if anyone fancies making spiced beef???

Christmas is coming:p

Christmas is coming:p

hmmm, stuff the auld turkey with a couple of 6 packs of Walsh's Finest :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

genius, absolute genius. throw a load of butter in though, they can get a bit dry

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Not sure where 60% meat content comes from in earlier thread (don't know how to quote)

I always assume they are a healthier option than sausages not that that makes them good for you.

Roll on Sat. morning for brekkie!

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Not sure where 60% meat content comes from in earlier thread (don't know how to quote)
    :confused: do you also think they are veggie?

Just read the packet!, there is no secret! there is definitely meat in walshes brand spiceburgers, and it clearly states the % of meat on the ingredients list. I have never got a non-walshes spiceburger in a chipper, but of course some could possibly make them.

Bumping this now they are no longer available. Surely somebody has some idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd assume it's similar spices to white pudding, probably with more pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Does anyone know the state of play with their recipe ? Do they have some kind of patent or copyright on it ? Will they/could they sell the recipe on ?

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Does anyone know the state of play with their recipe ? Do they have some kind of patent or copyright on it ? Will they/could they sell the recipe on ?
    It is patented, and my brother heard on the radio that Big Als might make them, sounds the perfect choice as both brands have very similar products. But big als is all frozen I think. I think Walshes did have packs of frozen spiceburgers in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Are Big Al's Irish ?
    I'd prefer non-frozen ones to be honest but I wonder was that part of the cost of them ? Cause they were fairly pricey for a 6pack in comparison to other similar foods that were frozen. But on the upside, every few months there'd be a sale on near-out of date ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My sister refuses to buy ketchup yet eats it on the sly all the time. I remember her having a BBQ and having no ketchup out, all these fancy ballymaloe and M&S sauces were out, I brought the heinz ketchup out and all her mates were lashing into it, much to her disgust!
    LOL, thats brilliant, A dinner partay BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Neither a spice burger nor a batter burger has passed these lips. Feel like I missed out on spice burgers having read the thread. Will never eat a batter burger. Sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i never noticed anything in them to be honest they where'nt that nice... dry peace's of sausage meet i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Des wrote: »
    Next person to dis the awsomeness of Spice Burgers is banned.

They are particularly nice in a fry.

cut them in half and deep fry them they taste even better then

• Advertisement

What exactly IS a batter burger? I have never been curious enough to actually order one.

Advertisement