Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the "spice" in spice burgers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

[quote=[Deleted User];60882901]What exactly IS a batter burger? I have never been curious enough to actually order one.[/QUOTE]

A burger (meat) in batter!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you're going to try a batter burger, go to the East End takeaway in Lucan for one. They're amazing. And kind of gross. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    A burger (meat) in batter!
    Yep, just like a fish in batter, or a batter sausage is the same idea. You can get fresh batter burgers in tesco now, €2 for 6, really nice but loaded with fat.

My local Chinese does batter burgers & batter sausages, the batter is the same they use on chicken balls, and the sausage is more like white pudding.

It even recommended slicing spice burgers in half on the pack, or if deep frying at least cutting deep into them. Dunno why they were not sold ready sliced or just half as thick with twice as many (i.e. coating all around them, not just sliced)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

rubadub wrote: »
    I would say half them don't know there is meat in them! Even if they do they would have no problem eating stuffing with equally dubious sausage meat in them.

I think it is more that they look like junk food (and are TBH, but so is stuffing so), but maybe more that appear for kids, or just too cheapy for their "high class tastes". My sister refuses to buy ketchup yet eats it on the sly all the time. I remember her having a BBQ and having no ketchup out, all these fancy ballymaloe and M&S sauces were out, I brought the heinz ketchup out and all her mates were lashing into it, much to her disgust!

The shops were obviously all out of Chef sauce. I suppose Heinz will suffice in this instance. :p

A spice burger on toast with ketchup and a cup of tea, Get It Down Ye! Throw in a soft fried egg and you're ready for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0703/1224249968829.html
    Spice burgers back on the menu due to popular demand
    PAUL CULLEN, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

THE HUMBLE spice burger, one of Ireland’s few original contributions to world cuisine, has been saved.

After an extraordinary outpouring of support for Walsh Family Foods, the sole manufacturers of the product, it started making spice burgers again yesterday, just a fortnight after the Finglas-based firm closed with the loss of 50 jobs.

Its demise provoked a huge show of sympathy from disappointed fans after the news was revealed in The Irish Times last month. Newspapers and Facebook groups campaigned to “save our spice burger”, while internet forums were filled with nostalgic recollections of the product’s unique place in Irish food history.

The publicity also stoked the interest of catering distributors and retailers, who have placed sufficient orders with the company to justify a resumption in production.

“The level of interest has been extraordinary,” said Reg Power, finance director of Walsh Family Foods. “Mothers have called to say how disappointed they were that they couldn’t get spice burgers anymore for their kids in the local chipper. Three of the multiples have been on to place orders. Well-known companies have said they’re interested in the brand.”

For now, receiver Kieran Wallace of KPMG is allowing production for just two days a week and 20 workers have been re-employed.

“We’ve got to walk again before we can run,” said Mr Power, “but if we can pull this off, we have other products we’d like to bring out.”

Spice burgers, invented in the early 1950s, were the first product manufactured by Walsh Family Foods. Its founder, pork butcher Maurice Walsh, developed the product at his shop in Glasnevin and production later moved to Poppintree industrial estate.

From modest beginnings, the firm expanded into burgers, garlic mushrooms and onion rings.

It patented the recipe for spice burgers, which it describes as “a delicious blend of Irish beef, onions, cereals, herbs and spices coated with traditional outer crumb”.

Takeaways report that even those who normally preferred vegetarian food were sometimes tempted.

The Walsh family sold the company to a management buy-in team in 2000 and production and exports grew for some years. Recently, however, the firm sustained heavy losses caused by the weakness of sterling against the euro and tough competition from UK rivals.

Enterprise Ireland offered financial support but the company was unable to find the required matching private equity and had to go into receivership, according to Mr Power.

Now that it has been given a second change, he wants everyone to know about the spice burger: “It’s a beautiful product that has stood the test of time and hasn’t changed over time. There’s nothing like it.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement