Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless option

Options
  • 18-09-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

so i just got my new computer, a self build. but i didnt think of my wireless adapters compatibility with vista. now im looking for the best one possible. dont mind spending about 50 quid. would prefer a usb one since my pci slots are jam packed. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Is it 802.11 A,B, G or N your looking for?

Komplett has a good range under 50 and will show you if they are vista compatible would also check Argos or PC world something like that, I would stick with Netgear, Linksys or D-Link - Stay away from Belkin as their drivers are very poor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it is a new computer with up to date parts it seems strange that the wireless adapter would not be compatible with Vista at least via a driver update. Have you checked the manufacturers web site for an up to date driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

dub45 wrote: »
    If it is a new computer with up to date parts it seems strange that the wireless adapter would not be compatible with Vista at least via a driver update. Have you checked the manufacturers web site for an up to date driver?

It's a self build

Read the post again...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

well i dont think my router can handle 802.11 g so it would probably be the "b" option.

In response to the question of looking for drivers, yes i have tryed all options on that so i think the only option now is to buy new. i think the reason could be the fact that its a belkin wireless adapter!

i was also looking at this (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=357094). was wondering if anyone had any experince with them and are they worth the money?

i would spend the extra if i knew i would have a solid signal and good transfer rate constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Can you post up the model numbers of the router and wireless adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

i moved the computer so i could connect it via ethernet cable to the internet, downloaded the new stuff from microsoft and the problem seemed to fix itself. the adapter then showed up and asked what network i wanted to connect to. just chose and entered the password. so no need to spend more money, thanks for the suggestions anyway!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It's a self build

Read the post again...:eek:

Yes that's exactly what a self build would be wouldn't it? A new computer with up to date parts? And all the more reason for the wireless card to be compatible with Vista!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

well i dont think my router can handle 802.11 g so it would probably be the "b" option.

In response to the question of looking for drivers, yes i have tryed all options on that so i think the only option now is to buy new. i think the reason could be the fact that its a belkin wireless adapter!

i was also looking at this (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=357094). was wondering if anyone had any experince with them and are they worth the money?

i would spend the extra if i knew i would have a solid signal and good transfer rate constantly.

I would get the best you can afford - you wont get a b only adapter at this stage so I would get an N type one as they are backward compatible.

Those network over power things are ok - I have seen poor results with them too, I would stick with wireless myself if your within close range!

You have to ask yourself what are you doing with the network, are you just browsing the web with a minimal about of file and printer sharing?

Advertisement