Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A: Lazio confident of adding to Milan's misery

• 18-09-2008 1:39pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Preview

ROME, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Surprise Serie A pacemakers Lazio are confident they can add to AC Milan's troubles in Sunday's visit to the San Siro.

The Rome side, who fell into financial trouble after lifting the 2000 title and now have few big names, share the top spot with Atalanta after scoring six goals and conceding just one to win their first two games.

Milan, in contrast, prop up the table with Cagliari after losing 2-0 and 2-1 to Genoa and Bologna respectively, despite the arrival of Ballon d'Or-winning forwards Ronaldinho and Andriy Shevchenko in the close season.

"It's a difficult match, perhaps more so because they have lost both their games in the championship," Lazio's Macedonia striker Goran Pandev told reporters.

"But we'll go there to win. I have a feeling we'll give a great performance. It would be the best way to respond to those who think we are up there in the standings by chance."

The poor start has increased the pressure on Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti, whose side entertain Zurich in the UEFA Cup on Thursday after they missed out on the Champions League with a disappointing fifth-placed finish in Serie A last season.

Chief executive Adriano Galliani has said the coach's job in not in danger and Ancelotti believes he is close to turning things around.

"It's a delicate time, but I see extraordinary will from everyone to get out of it," he told a news conference.

"At Monday's meeting (with Galliani and club staff) there was self-criticism from everyone. I've made mistakes too. But we are on the right road to recover."

Title-holders Inter Milan visit Torino on Sunday on a high after winning their Champions League opener at Panathinaikos 2-0 on Tuesday and beating Catania 2-1 last weekend to claim their first league victory of the season.

Juventus travel to Cagliari in fine fettle too, thanks to Wednesday's 1-0 win over Zenit St Petersburg on their return to the group stage of competition they won in 1985 and 1996.

Last term's runners-up AS Roma, meanwhile, are aiming to rebound in their home match with Reggina on Saturday after Tuesday's shock 2-1 defeat to Champions League debutants CFR Cluj of Romanian and last weekend's 3-1 loss at Palermo.

Saturday, September 20, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    17:00 UK Catania Calcio v Atalanta Angelo Massimino
    19:30 UK Roma v Reggina Stadio Olimpico
    Sunday, September 21, 2008
    Time Home Away VENUE
    14:00 UK Cagliari v Juventus Sant'Elia
    14:00 UK Fiorentina v Bologna Artemio Franchi
    14:00 UK Lecce v Siena Stadio Via del Mare
    14:00 UK Palermo v Genoa Renzo Barbera
    14:00 UK Sampdoria v Chievo Verona Luigi Ferraris
    14:00 UK Torino v Inter Milan Delle Alpi
    14:00 UK Udinese v Napoli Stadio Friuli
    19:30 UK AC Milan v Lazio Giuseppe Meazza

Big on for AC this week. Lazio are in good form and cant see Milan putting it up to them.

I think this could be the end for Carlos!

Adriano scored for Inter in the CL. I would like to see him upfront with Zaltan. I reckon the two of them could do real damage together!

Roma need a one. They've hit a bad patch lately

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Juventus have something of an injury crisis. Chiellini, Del Piero both with strains, and now Trezeguet out until Christmas with a knee op.

kearnsr wrote: »
    [
    Adriano scored for Inter in the CL. I would like to see him upfront with Zaltan. I reckon the two of them could do real damage together!

Adriano looked hungry when he came on midweek, and very dangerous. I reckon he'll wreak havoc in Serie A this season if he can stay on the rails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

See the Mourinho / Catania stuff thats happened the past few days? Very funny indeed - is there no one Mourinho can't a rise out of? :)
    I Am Not A Trouble Maker - Mourinho

All the recent trouble happened following Inter’s 2-1 win over Catania at the weekend.

The Nerazzurri coach said his side should have ‘beat the Sicilian’s by at least five goals’ before Lo Monaco replied by saying Mourinho deserved ‘a smack in the mouth’.

The war of words has continued but the former Chelsea man insists he is not a trouble maker but someone who is merely defending his side from verbal abuse.

“I am not a provoker I just defend my team,” Mourinho told Sportmediaset.

“It’s not true that there is always trouble every time I say something.

“I don’t run away from trouble but neither do I run into it.

“However, if someone touches my team then I am the first to defend them, there is nothing more to it.”

Inter travel to Torino this weekend and more controversy is expected come Sunday night.

Mourinho first started his one line lyrical vibes against Juventus coach Claudio Ranieri.

The Catania coach facing disciplinary action maybe...
    Lo Monaco Bites Back Again In Mourinho Row

Lo Monaco issued a sensational attack on Mourinho on Monday in which he roared that the Inter boss deserved a “smack in the mouth” for his arrogance and disrespect before and after his side’s 2-1 win over Catania on Saturday evening.

This led to a slanging match between the two men, and eventually resulted in Lo Monaco being referred to the Disciplinary Commission for “inciting violence”.

Lo Monaco was also slammed by Minister for the Interior Roberto Maroni, who called for action to be taken against him.

The Catania director has since struck back again, focusing his attack mainly on the political merits of Maroni.

“It is a typical turn of phrase where we are from and should not be considered as incitement,” he raged.

“If someone understood it as such then I apologise, although I hope Maroni’s comment is the last thing we will hear of this.

“Surely the country has more important things to be dealing with.

“As for Maroni, I am certainly not the one representing a political party that thrived on inciting violence in recent years.

“I wasn’t the one who ran on stage shouting ‘Southern Thieves’. It is ridiculous for him to criticise us, especially as we accepted the decision to ban our fans from travelling to San Siro without complaint.”

The saga rumbles on for another episode…

Will be nice to see if Adriano can regain that form of 2 - 3 years ago.

With Trezegol out for a while now, maybe this is a good opportunity now for U21 star Giovinco to step into the limelight? (altho i understand he's an AM reather than an outandout forward). Juve only have Amauri, Iaquinta and Del P as strikers it seems.

SofaK wrote: »
    See the Mourinho / Catania stuff thats happened the past few days? Very funny indeed - is there no one Mourinho can't a rise out of? :)

This is why I love Calcio. Last year the Catania coach Silvio Baldini was banned for kicking Parma boss Di Carlo up the arse during a touchline row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Milan destroyed Lazio tonight, 4-1. I think the most important thing was that they did it without Shevchenko or Ronaldinho.

I always said that Shevchenko and Ronaldinho were pointless signings. Shevchenko is definitely past it, his legs have gone and he'd rather be on the golf course these days. Get him off the wage bill, he's finished. Ronaldinho still has time on his side, but frankly, I wouldn't want to take the risk on him. During the Barcelona Champions League winning season a few years back, he looked like he could score everytime he got the ball. Now he's fat, slow and crap. If Man City came in for him, I'd bite the hand off them.

The Kaka-Borriello-Pato attack looks the business. Give Ancelotti time and stop pushing stupid signings on him, and I think they'll be at very least challenging for Serie A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Juve beat Cagliari tonight just about, top of the league now with Inter .Buffon went off with pain in his thigh i think.

Groin strain. Reckons he'll miss Catania midweek but be fit for Sampdoria at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Milan were amazing today and Zambrotta and kaka's goals were lurverly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Roma won 3-0 against Reggina. Panucci, Aquilani and Perrotta scoring.

Kaka and Aquilani - two top drawer goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement