Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD beginner

• 18-09-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Ok, I'm a complete beginner so would anybody like to share some tips on how I could improve as a player in COD4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

PC or xbox !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

PS3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Teg

Play on PC instead!:D

But seriously, there's nothing like practice, practice & more practice.

Find a weapon/perk loadout that you like and work with it. Learn the maps - this is key. If killcam is on, watch it when you die as it will give you tips on good places to shoot from.
    Join a clan - there seems to be a number of PS3 players here - playing with friends will help as well.
    And finally, practice.

Good hunting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

listen. it helps to listen for footsteps and things around you, it can save your bacon sometimes. try keep yourself quiet if things get a bit intense. run for cover and do a sneak job around a building or something like that.

also... PC COD4 ftw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

also... PC COD4 ftw!!

Hells ye !!

I was watching some you tube video tho about console cod4.
    Apparently in open maps you can easily strafe sprint left and right towards some dude and knife him. Due to the analog stick being slower than the mighty mouse !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Think the best way is practice. But definitely learn what you best gun and perks are and stick to them. Sometimes messing around changing guns can hold you back. I recommend RPD with Grip. You will need to play with the RPD for awhile to unlock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

I did the single player on veteran before I touched the online, I felt this helped me out alot with gettin the accuracy of my shots up and familiar with the different weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

shoot the other team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    shoot the other team

we're onto a winner here lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    shoot the other team

I'll try that thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

I'm fairly new to it myself and have tried a lot of different guns and perks. It depends on your rank and what you have available to you.
    I personally prefer a good assult rifle with the following perks, Silencer, Extra magazines & UAV Jammer. Your range is well reduced with the silencer but not showing up as a red dot when you shoot is brill!!

I use the PS3 myself and couldn't imagine playing on a PC (I know there a million others that will disagree). We have in connected through HDMI to a 37" HD LCD and hope to get the surround sound sorted soon. I prefer to play from my armchair and not hid up in the computer room.

Definitely the best game ever. Enjoy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Practice, practice, practice is the only way to improve. Sure you'll get killed a lot but keep at it and soon you'll be the one doin' all the killing.

For the best weapon set up, well I like the RPD with grip with the rapid fire as it will wipe anyone out in a close - medium firefight. Claymores are a great way to get kills when you've left the area. They also protect your back when you have a nice killzone mapped out.

Still remember the first time I finished a game as top dog. Nice feeling kicking the asses of all those american kids who were mouthing off on the team chat.

I did all my COD gameplay on the pc up to COD4 where I switched to the ps3 as it was cheaper to get the playstation than upgrade my motherboard, grphics card etc on my now outdated pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have only started playing it online.

I have found a few things help me.

I like the M16 with Red Dot Scope and bullet penetration and deep impact, this will allow you long range shots and shoot through walls that people are hiding behind.

I also i like carrying the RPG, because so some lads so in pairs so if you spot a a couple of the other teams members in a building, send a rocket there way. But you have to be quick.

Sprinting around seems to help me as well. Once you have made a kill sprint to the nearest building, and stake your next prey, dont hang around too long because your shots will appear on the radar, and the bad guys will come looking for you.

When you stop sprinting crouch straight away, makes you a smaller target and plus increases your aim, when your happy the coast is clear again, sprint again.

I like smoke genardes, can get you out of trouble, release it near you and make your escape.

I have only been playing a week now. Am only on level 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

I'm fairly new to it myself and have tried a lot of different guns and perks. It depends on your rank and what you have available to you.
    I personally prefer a good assult rifle with the following perks, Silencer, Extra magazines & UAV Jammer. Your range is well reduced with the silencer but not showing up as a red dot when you shoot is brill!!

I use the PS3 myself and couldn't imagine playing on a PC (I know there a million others that will disagree). We have in connected through HDMI to a 37" HD LCD and hope to get the surround sound sorted soon. I prefer to play from my armchair and not hid up in the computer room.

Definitely the best game ever. Enjoy !!

Mate if you have UAV jammer you shouldn't use a silencer as you won't show up on the radar anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Always try play with people who are better than you. If your playing in a game and finding it too easy switch to a new server to see if the players are tougher!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Andyfbt wrote: »
    Mate if you have UAV jammer you shouldn't use a silencer as you won't show up on the radar anyway.
    you will show up without silencer
    uav just stops you showing up when enemy uav is required

uav + silencer = total radar invisibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

They can hear you without the silencer too. AK-47 with bandolier, stopping power and deep impact for the win and run round like a headless chicken, works for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

PC FTW!!!:D

FOOTSTEPS FTW!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

BOBBY wrote: »
    you will show up without silencer
    uav just stops you showing up when enemy uav is required

uav + silencer = total radar invisibility

Thats what I always thought too but had my doubts after Andy's reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

find a nice dark corner, wait for people to run past and shoot them in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

find a nice dark corner, wait for people to run past and shoot them in the back.

Just don't stay in the one corner. Killed a guy eight times in the same place on wetwork yesterday before he got the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You could also try to play with a mate - I play online with my brother and we communicate via teamchat. We can use the dash and cover routine where I run to a spot while he covers me. Its a great way to get around a map and two guns will always beat one. We've often finished 1 and 2 on the table that way. Its a nice change from the run around like headless chickes method and its more realistic as its how soldiers actually operate, i.e. cover their mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Find a good gun and use it.

I personally like the MP5 or the m40 (both unlocked at the start.)

And if you have a sniper make sure if decide to start moving around you find someones gun and switch it for your pistol.. Autos or M16's are a lot easier to use than pistols.

And find perks that suit you. If you like sniping or camping. Have uav jammer on. Extreme conditioning Is useless for camping because you're not moving.. If you plan on CQB (Close Quarters Battle), make sure you have an automatic gun or The M1014 shotgun. I like the mp5 or the ak74u because of their iron sights. Try and get silencers on either one.

And for free for alls, I'd recommend a silenced gun with double tap. Makes it a lot easier to kill and hide with both together.
    And NEVER use the default classes except for when you start. Read what perks do what and put them into 2sniper classes and 2 moveabout classes. Just simply for the ghillie suits. Like 1 grass sniper and 1 desert sniper class.

PM me your PSN if you want and I could help you out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Play Hardcore! Seriously, you get used to maps and your whereabouts much quicker when you're not relying on the map. Then when a UAV gets called in you really do get the upper hand.

If you're looking to unlock as many perks as possible, the easiest way to level is to go through all the different marksman challenges. They net the most points and all you have to do is kill people.

Perks are suited to how you play and what you play. I.E someone playing FFA all day doesn't really need UAV Jammer. However, if you're new I would recommend Stopping Power, Deep Impact, and Bandolier - why? Well it means that you can get used to shooting people and have that extra bit of power to make sure every bullet counts, that extra bit of impact to get those fookers that hide behind walls, and that extra bit of ammo so you can shoot to your hearts content.

Then... GO HARDCORE! Everything else is for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

im on ps3. m40 is the best sniper always with stopping power for one hit kills
    rpd isgood for headquarters try not to go into the hq stay outside
    mp5 is best gun in game rds or silenced with stopping power and steady aim always
    m16 good for big open maps ambush countdown etc. with stopping power and deepimpact
    hope that helps:D

Advertisement